Kin/Elec

00Troy00

Strangely enough I have been working on v2 of my Kin/Elec build to see if I can eke any more out of it.

Caveat: It's not very defender-y, and is extremely busy with such a high global recharge. FS is up almost every mob, and the temptation to murder everything with Short Circuit, Ball Lightning and Thunderblast can be very distracting.

Very end hungry though, so I've tried to build a lot of natural recovery in there as Transference is time lost when you could be electrocuting.

49% to S/L and 47% to ranged. You can catch a lot of agro, which in 54 teams can mean the odd faceplant, but it's worth it to see all the damage numbers. I was also quite surprised to see how sappy it is too. If you get someone on the team with Barrier though, you're golden.

I haven't tried the Voltaic Sentinel slotting is it's the first time I've had it in the build, so if it looks stupid, just change it.

You could also switch out Hover for CJ, but I like the mobility of Flight + Siphon Speed. I'd love to cram CJ into the build, but I'm not sure what I could lose. SS+Stealth IO is great for getting to the last boss with a brute/scrapper/tank and damage capping you/them to clear the room.

Don't laugh (or tell anyone) about my Transfusion/ID/SB slotting. Kins aren't healers, I use Transfusion for the -Regen & -End.

Ooh, also, leave Tough switched off.

[/img]
View This Build In MRB

Edited by Harlequin565

58 minutes ago, Harlequin565 said:

Strangely enough I have been working on v2 of my Kin/Elec build to see if I can eke any more out of it.

Caveat: It's not very defender-y, and is extremely busy with such a high global recharge. FS is up almost every mob, and the temptation to murder everything with Short Circuit, Ball Lightning and Thunderblast can be very distracting.

Very end hungry though, so I've tried to build a lot of natural recovery in there as Transference is time lost when you could be electrocuting.

49% to S/L and 47% to ranged. You can catch a lot of agro, which in 54 teams can mean the odd faceplant, but it's worth it to see all the damage numbers. I was also quite surprised to see how sappy it is too. If you get someone on the team with Barrier though, you're golden.

I haven't tried the Voltaic Sentinel slotting is it's the first time I've had it in the build, so if it looks stupid, just change it.

You could also switch out Hover for CJ, but I like the mobility of Flight + Siphon Speed. I'd love to cram CJ into the build, but I'm not sure what I could lose. SS+Stealth IO is great for getting to the last boss with a brute/scrapper/tank and damage capping you/them to clear the room.

Don't laugh (or tell anyone) about my Transfusion/ID/SB slotting. Kins aren't healers, I use Transfusion for the -Regen & -End.

Ooh, also, leave Tough switched off.

[/img]
View This Build In MRB

Thank you, but it appears you sent me a build for a blaster. Not a Defender.

It opened up as a Blaster for me as well. For older versions of Mid's, you should just upload the file. You should also update to the latest Mid's as proper exporting functionality is back. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

i’ve recently re-rolled my kin/sonic as a kin/elec after 4 years - mostly focusing on the kin and elec drain side of things

will be slotting for end drain in the elec attacks, good accuracy in transfusion and picking up veng / fold space / powerboost - makes a huge difference on hard content, nothing beats a lovely powerboosted veng

i personally wouldn’t recommend slotting for defence on a support AT, it will take the shine off what is an amazing team alt. i’ve never needed any def on my defender in speed runs / hard mode Aeon TFs, incarnate trials etc 

edit: added more detail in a separate post

Edited by MoonSheep

if you're interested in getting the most out of the AT and powerset combination, i'd recommend something similar to the below

i play my defender kin/sonic as a purely support AT for both high end challenging content and lowbie TFs for the last 4 years. in my view, if i tried to make it a defender-scrapper that would quite likely still die during big aggro moments it would severely blunt the razor sharp multi skilled offerings this combination has. so yes, whilst it does go against the HC Flavour Of The Month to focus every build in the persuit of defense, if you're in hot water, pop a few purple insps - it's a much more effective survival strategy, especially because you can hit up /AH after each mish to reload. moreover, it's just simply not needed in my experience of playing a kin a lot. if you are interested in playing it as a support AT, you'll find you really just don't take much damage after letting the lead aggro taker jump in first - and if you do, you can heal yourself, woo

kin is such a strong powerset that in my experience, being the best kin i can benefits the team much more than if i was to fire off a few of my low damage attacks. defender secondaries are basically a range of different pillow fight options (other than a select few, e.g. fire). after the -res aspect of sonic was nerfed i turned my kin passion to /elec which has a secondary effect i can invest in to make it truly powerful

if the above is not your cup of tea and you're wondering what i've been huffing, disregard all of the above! opinions are free and ten a penny

Key highlights of the combo when built to get the best out of Kin and Elec's unique properties:

- Transfusion is one of the strongest heals in the game. Kin defenders are top tier healers when things start going wrong - combined with powerboost, you have an incredibly strong support AT should it be needed. Having a decent amount of accuracy on it will be important, you definitely don't want it to miss at key times

- Powerboosted Veng is an incredibly strong support. It will turn the tide of battle in an instant and is lovely to have at lower levels if you enjoy Posi TFs and similar. Likewise with Spirit Ward, a great power to have in the lower levels to apply against your lead tank

- Grouping things up with Fold Space to guarantee a good Fulcrum Shift makes a meaningful difference in some battles

- Slot Ball Lightning and Short Circuit for as much end drain as you can. Even at low levels it's massively effective in reducing the damage a team experiences by making the mobs stand around and admire their surroundings. Charge Up also adds a small amount of +End Mod boost, you'll find you can easily zap the full end bar of enemies, supplementing it with transference for harder foes where needed. Thunderous Blast also has really good end drain properties for AVs and similar

- There is no movement penalty for Intertial Reduction, it's one of the best travel powers in the game - it allows you to be constantly agile after firing off attacks and to move quickly out of danger. Siphon Speed can easily be doubled up, giving you both quasi Super Speed combined with IR

and the best of it all - the build is cheap cheap cheap. even with SOs it would be almost as effective

image.thumb.png.7e2770c708e70931d1684f8602d7bec7.png

Edited by MoonSheep

10 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

and the best of it all - the build is cheap cheap cheap. even with SOs it would be almost as effective

I think when someone comes in asking for build advice, it's vital that more than one person responds with something different. It also allws people like me, who play a toon one way then forget about it, to approach the character again from a different angle. Currently my PB is the only toon I have slotted twice under two different builds, but I have a feeling my Kin/Elec might join her - especially as this second build is so cheap.

It's also a reminder just how screwed Kin got in terms of IOs. Two powers have no IO sets. Three powers if all taken can get away with one slot. Repel is so rarely taken I forgot it existed. Add in you are looking at set bonuses from Slow and End Drain, and that's a bunch of lackluster right there. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

8 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

It's also a reminder just how screwed Kin got in terms of IOs. Two powers have no IO sets. Three powers if all taken can get away with one slot. Repel is so rarely taken I forgot it existed. Add in you are looking at set bonuses from Slow and End Drain, and that's a bunch of lackluster right there. 

i see it as a positive thing - kin is such a powerful set that it’s accessible to all and effective at low levels

5 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i see it as a positive thing - kin is such a powerful set that it’s accessible to all and effective at low levels

Except, you can do a lot of support builds at a reasonable price. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.