Electric/Storm - Thematic but not Synergistic

Fedifensor

I'm trying out a theme build, as my wife and daughter are playing all-electric builds (a brute and a sentinel).  However, it seems that multiple powers between these two sets actively conflict with each other (such as Conductive Aura and Hurricane) or overlap (Snow Storm and Freezing Rain).  Does anyone has a build that overcomes these conflicts and works well?

These two have a lot of overlap that makes them nasty to play together.  You have to look at the powers and note that you will have distinct play styles with different groups.  If you are solo or running with a Single Target party, Static Field and Conductive Aura, with a rare application of hurican to herd the mobs may be great.  And in an AoE team you would throw out an Alpha strike with Synaptic Overload from stealth and then start throwing in Freezing Rain.  It is an odd combination, but I love both powersets.  I personally run Elec/Kin and Elec/Rad instead and Fire/Storm. You might have better luck for a pairing by choosing Elec or Storm and then going Dominator for Elec with something, or if you want Storm going Defender/Corrupter.

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Sometimes, as a Controller, you're less A+B+C synergistic and more a bag of tricks for special circumstances. 

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Roaming Everlasting as the Peacebringer Ganymedean.

This combo is significantly better if you are willing to invest in Knockback to Knockdown procs. You'll want to put them in:

Tornado

Lightning Storm

Gale (if you even bother with Gale)

They cost about 2 million each. Not cheap, but considering what I just paid for a Energy Blaster, not as bad as it could be.

Electric kind of got the short end of the stick. It had no -kb in its cages in order to prevent Jolting Chain from failing to work. But that also meant in the recent conversion of AoE immob it didn't get any resistance in its immob powers. IMO that should be fixed, because if two sets should work together, its these two.

I ran an Elec/Storm controller in a group briefly.  I'm at 14, tested out some powers on well-underleveled thugs to see how the might play out later.

Jolting Chain is going to be one of my favorites.  Love the blast, damage and the knockdown as it bounces around the group.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.”

This combo is significantly better if you are willing to invest in Knockback to Knockdown procs. You'll want to put them in:

Tornado

Lightning Storm

Gale (if you even bother with Gale)

They cost about 2 million each. Not cheap, but considering what I just paid for a Energy Blaster, not as bad as it could be.

Electric kind of got the short end of the stick. It had no -kb in its cages in order to prevent Jolting Chain from failing to work. But that also meant in the recent conversion of AoE immob it didn't get any resistance in its immob powers. IMO that should be fixed, because if two sets should work together, its these two.

Throw a Force Feedback Proc in all of them and let the hilarity insue.

I ran an Elec/Storm controller in a group briefly.  I'm at 14, tested out some powers on well-underleveled thugs to see how the might play out later.

Jolting Chain is going to be one of my favorites.  Love the blast, damage and the knockdown as it bounces around the group.

Just wait for the Gremlins, they throw out Jolting Chains also.

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Just wait for the Gremlins, they throw out Jolting Chains also.

And that's where I feel Elec/Storm finds it's synergy.  Chaos Control.  "What can't stand, can't fight."

I wouldn't say Electric particularly benefits from chaos. You want mobs close together probably more than any other set. Kb to kd procs in the main knockback powers will help with that considerably.

One major plus for Elec/Storm is that at least it shouldn't have too much trouble dealing damage after level 40. The road there can be long and rough though.

Normally

I wouldn't say Electric particularly benefits from chaos. You want mobs close together probably more than any other set. Kb to kd procs in the main knockback powers will help with that considerably.

One major plus for Elec/Storm is that at least it shouldn't have too much trouble dealing damage after level 40. The road there can be long and rough though.

Normally I would agree.  Between the global dislike of Knockback and my own interest in watching thugs 'dance' over 'retreating' I would be there with you 100% suggesting KD proc in KB powers. 

But there's something to be said for having the power to push a fight where you need it.

Normally I would agree.  Between the global dislike of Knockback and my own interest in watching thugs 'dance' over 'retreating' I would be there with you 100% suggesting KD proc in KB powers. 

But there's something to be said for having the power to push a fight where you need it.

I would leave Gale’s knockback alone.  It’s a great way to get a large number of people moved in the direction you want when you get a bad pull.