Illusion / Energy build help

Sanuske4

Hey all! I am kitting out a 2nd character (to compliment my Ill/Rad troller). I really adore the Illusion set and wanted to go dominator. I have tested a lot of diff builds on the test server and ended up with a meshing of two. I am really enjoying it but my primary issue is massive end drain. I am looking to make this a pure ranged build but I am okay with occasional melee for whirling hands since it will be my only direct AoE damage. My main point of contention is I would like to retain as much of my defence as possible, as well as enough rech to keep Hasten/PA as close to perma as they are now, while improving my endurance usage. I understand Incarnates will help with this but I would like for the build to be able to stand on its own two feet prior to that. Bonus points for lower level perma-dom. A lot of requirements I know and I am willing to compromise on some things but these seemed the most important to my mind. Anyways, here's the build and thanks for any help in advance!

Dominator (Illusion Control - Nrg Assault)2.mbd

16 hours ago, Sanuske4 said:

Hey all! I am kitting out a 2nd character (to compliment my Ill/Rad troller). I really adore the Illusion set and wanted to go dominator. I have tested a lot of diff builds on the test server and ended up with a meshing of two. I am really enjoying it but my primary issue is massive end drain. I am looking to make this a pure ranged build but I am okay with occasional melee for whirling hands since it will be my only direct AoE damage. My main point of contention is I would like to retain as much of my defence as possible, as well as enough rech to keep Hasten/PA as close to perma as they are now, while improving my endurance usage. I understand Incarnates will help with this but I would like for the build to be able to stand on its own two feet prior to that. Bonus points for lower level perma-dom. A lot of requirements I know and I am willing to compromise on some things but these seemed the most important to my mind. Anyways, here's the build and thanks for any help in advance!

Dominator (Illusion Control - Nrg Assault)2.mbd 42.89 kB · 1 download

Couple things i'd change. Power boost 2 slotted and boosted (slots/enhancements- set all relative levels to....+5)

Indom will for evasive just to have some immob protection

Not sure about 5 slots in stamina, i'd rather have a preventetive in health

If you arent fussed about kb and it looks like your not, theres no need for the sudden acc in phanty, an ff+recharge is always handy in those kb blasts and would only need to fire off once to get PA perma

Maybe swap the deci set and entropic around

Endurance is going to be a massive issue regardless pre ageless and any content without ageless

Don't you need total focus for energy mode? its been a while since i played mine

Edited by Meknomancer
add comment

You've got a really good base for everything you need. I can't speak for early perma Dom bc I've never tried it. I think some of what you're coming up against is advanced slotting tactic's and tightening up some extraneous slots/powers. @Meknomancer gives some good advice for that. I'm not a fan of changing the mids settings to blanket all your enhancements at +5 - you may not want to do this if you're running attuned. Instead, when selecting an enhancement, press + on numpad to selectively increase it to +5.

To get the most endurance return out of Health and Stamina slots - place Panacea, Miracle, and Numina's in Health. Stamina only needs the Perf Shift +end and 1 Perf Shift endmod. You could fit one more endmod in Stamina, but the returns aren't great and even putting that slot in a toggle for endurance reduction will benefit you more.

Reduce Power Up to 2 slots like Mekno suggested. If you +5 the recharges in Hasten, you're actually over perma Hasten by about 116/120s. To that end, you can reduce recharge slightly and eliminate a recharge set to instead focus slots to something else. Perma Phantom Army isn't as detrimental for Dom's bc they don't taunt like the Controller version.

One issue I see with people building Dom's is that there's a ton of toy's to play with, but you need to focus on quality and not quantity. What I mean is that first and foremost, you need a solid attack chain and some kind of aoe. After that you need selective powers/utility/control from the primary for survivability etc. Then you need toggles and defenses if you go that way. It's easy to accidentally focus too heavily on control, dmg, or toggles and forget something.

The following suggestions are focused on tightening things up and managing endurance better.

1. If you followed the above suggestions, you should have an additional 3 slots to play with. Right now you're running a ton of toggles but they're barely slotted for endurance reduction. Dedicate some slots to toggles.
  2. One 50+5 recharge in Link Minds is better than Adjusted Targeting's recharge.
  3. In Power Blast, the heal proc for Entropic seems nice, but the Decimation set enhances dmg/rech etc better and squeezes more juice out of the power.
  4. I would drop Flash entirely. You have strong cc for setting up survivability with on-demand Gleam and Spectral Terror. Flash just isn't as good with a long cooldown.
  5. In Blind, remove 2 slots. The Gladiator's Javelin proc will almost never go off with the power slotted for recharge. The single target Hold is usually only used to lockdown bosses and not as dmg.
  6. You're running way too many toggles. Illusion has Invis for additional defense which is nice, but adds a toggle. Personally, I would drop Kick/Tough/Weave. Tough doesn't actually give a lot of return on s/l res. The Epic resist shields like Mind Over Body provides higher resistances and can take the resistance one-offs. Instead of Weave, take Combat Jumping which costs almost no endurance. This lets you eliminate a toggle.

I haven't looked at Energy before, so I wanted to give a breakdown to see what it has. It looks like if you're using some Energy attacks against stunned targets, you have a chance to gain Focus. Setting up Gleam first as a stun becomes much more important. However, the only way to guarantee getting Focus is to use the Total Focus attack.

1. Whirling Hands is your only aoe, I'd try to fit it in. Maybe Flash for WH.
  2. Highest single target DPA of attacks is Total Focus>Power Burst>Power Push=Bone Smasher>Sniper>Power Blast>Power Bolt. If you're focusing on range attacks you could go with Power Burst, Power Push, Power Bolt (you're forced to pick it or Spectral Wall/Bone Smasher) and I'd still take Total Focus. I'm not sure how desirable the Snipe fits in but you could end up with 1 extraneous attack or power (Spectral Wall or Power Bolt 1 slotted) that you don't use.
  • Like 1

Since you already did a lot of legwork and I hit you with a wall of text - I'll attach a build with my proposed changes.

It's fairly tight and I couldn't see fitting in extras like the Prev Med absorb proc. There's a heavy focus on squeezing out recovery with set bonuses and endred in toggles. You get another aoe in Psynado. Whirling Hands needs a surprising amount of endred, that thing costs a ton. Didn't realize Link Minds doesn't take a regular recharge, so I +5 the Adjusted Targeting.

Dom Illusion-Nrg.mbd

Edit: The Kismet accuracy in CJ is overkill, so there's a free slot for Prev Med in Health.

Edited by Wimbochismo
Kismet
  • Like 3

Yeah this dom will sap your endurance even with that permadom refill.  One of my favorite epic pools for dommies is Soul.  I'd look to that set there's a lot of utility and aoe damage.  The pbaoe attacks have good synergy with the pbaoe hold in Illusion plus they do real good damage of their own. 

To augment my endurance issues for when I'm running hot zerging I like to have Dark Consumption for when I'm far between domination recycle.  It's a nice full endurance refill if it hits just 2 of the 10 targets and contributes some minor damage of its own.  Plus due to the longer recharge of it any procs you put in it are sure fire on 9 of 10 targets and I also have the gladiator -res proc since it'll hit all targets as well.  So, with this you can contribute nice aoe dmg in terms of proccing, real reliable -resistance and you have another way to fix endurance issues.  Real neat power to have up your sleeve.  

Then being in Soul you also have access to Soul Drain which is a fantastic power giving you good pbaoe damage and a 100% boost to all damage along with 35% tohitt.  There's also Dark Obliteration which is another fantastic aoe power.  Last you get access to a great armor.  

On my Nrg I skip Whirling Hands since it's meh in comparison to all of those Soul attacks and I focus on the strong ST attacks.  Bone Smasher is a great starter attack and sneakily does some good debuffing to help your controls.  Then Total Focus, Snipe and Power Burst are just beastly attacks.  For Power Up I just leave it one slotted.

As far as Illusion goes I skip the t1 Immob and the t9 pet since he's tough as tissue paper, I sub in the Seer pet from Soul in his place.

For my defenses I build a lot of sets but I also go with Unleash Potential since you get a power boosting ability that greatly enhances the defense you get from it.  When it's down I have the Barrier Incarnate to sub in if need be to maintain high defenses.  

Nrg is my favorite assault on doms though it does have a more get in melee and mix it up feel.  My Illusion/Nrg is probably my strongest dom I've got, lots of fun.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

• 3 months later
On 11/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, Wimbochismo said:

You've got a really good base for everything you need. I can't speak for early perma Dom bc I've never tried it. I think some of what you're coming up against is advanced slotting tactic's and tightening up some extraneous slots/powers. @Meknomancer gives some good advice for that. I'm not a fan of changing the mids settings to blanket all your enhancements at +5 - you may not want to do this if you're running attuned. Instead, when selecting an enhancement, press + on numpad to selectively increase it to +5.

To get the most endurance return out of Health and Stamina slots - place Panacea, Miracle, and Numina's in Health. Stamina only needs the Perf Shift +end and 1 Perf Shift endmod. You could fit one more endmod in Stamina, but the returns aren't great and even putting that slot in a toggle for endurance reduction will benefit you more.

Reduce Power Up to 2 slots like Mekno suggested. If you +5 the recharges in Hasten, you're actually over perma Hasten by about 116/120s. To that end, you can reduce recharge slightly and eliminate a recharge set to instead focus slots to something else. Perma Phantom Army isn't as detrimental for Dom's bc they don't taunt like the Controller version.

One issue I see with people building Dom's is that there's a ton of toy's to play with, but you need to focus on quality and not quantity. What I mean is that first and foremost, you need a solid attack chain and some kind of aoe. After that you need selective powers/utility/control from the primary for survivability etc. Then you need toggles and defenses if you go that way. It's easy to accidentally focus too heavily on control, dmg, or toggles and forget something.

The following suggestions are focused on tightening things up and managing endurance better.

1. If you followed the above suggestions, you should have an additional 3 slots to play with. Right now you're running a ton of toggles but they're barely slotted for endurance reduction. Dedicate some slots to toggles.
  2. One 50+5 recharge in Link Minds is better than Adjusted Targeting's recharge.
  3. In Power Blast, the heal proc for Entropic seems nice, but the Decimation set enhances dmg/rech etc better and squeezes more juice out of the power.
  4. I would drop Flash entirely. You have strong cc for setting up survivability with on-demand Gleam and Spectral Terror. Flash just isn't as good with a long cooldown.
  5. In Blind, remove 2 slots. The Gladiator's Javelin proc will almost never go off with the power slotted for recharge. The single target Hold is usually only used to lockdown bosses and not as dmg.
  6. You're running way too many toggles. Illusion has Invis for additional defense which is nice, but adds a toggle. Personally, I would drop Kick/Tough/Weave. Tough doesn't actually give a lot of return on s/l res. The Epic resist shields like Mind Over Body provides higher resistances and can take the resistance one-offs. Instead of Weave, take Combat Jumping which costs almost no endurance. This lets you eliminate a toggle.

I haven't looked at Energy before, so I wanted to give a breakdown to see what it has. It looks like if you're using some Energy attacks against stunned targets, you have a chance to gain Focus. Setting up Gleam first as a stun becomes much more important. However, the only way to guarantee getting Focus is to use the Total Focus attack.

1. Whirling Hands is your only aoe, I'd try to fit it in. Maybe Flash for WH.
  2. Highest single target DPA of attacks is Total Focus>Power Burst>Power Push=Bone Smasher>Sniper>Power Blast>Power Bolt. If you're focusing on range attacks you could go with Power Burst, Power Push, Power Bolt (you're forced to pick it or Spectral Wall/Bone Smasher) and I'd still take Total Focus. I'm not sure how desirable the Snipe fits in but you could end up with 1 extraneous attack or power (Spectral Wall or Power Bolt 1 slotted) that you don't use.

Hi there sorry to bump an old post but you seem to know allot about illusion and most recommend tough and weave for melee. so that threw me off im currently playing ill/ma, I was wondering if you had any advice and on leveling. Also it seems spectral wall is underrated, I know the damage is low but is so the cooldown.

Thanks if you get back to me friend.

17 minutes ago, StarseedWarrior said:

Hi there sorry to bump an old post but you seem to know allot about illusion and most recommend tough and weave for melee. so that threw me off im currently playing ill/ma, I was wondering if you had any advice and on leveling. Also it seems spectral wall is underrated, I know the damage is low but is so the cooldown.

Thanks if you get back to me friend.

No probs! Happy to help. 

Spectral Wall can definitely have some uses. Immobs help with AV's running and generally stopping runners etc. It also has an extra -tohit debuff. The dpa isn't amazing but a big issue is that it's dot damage. In todays gogogo meta, 9s to do its full damage can be a pain. With a 4s recharge, it's also not very reliable for procs.

Fighting is definitely one of my go-to pools for defense and s/l res. However, in builds its usage can be variable based on a large number of factors. The main limiting quality is that it also requires Kick or Boxing as a dead power - it's a struggle trying to squeeze in those LotG mules. In the build I posted above, Psionic Mastery was taken which provides a strong s/l/psi res shield in Mind Over Body. This gets s/l res to almost 50% which will more than suffice for an already "squishy" AT. Ideally you could get Tough on top of that to hit 75%, but you don't have to.

The build above focuses on ranged defense. I have a Plant/Martial with ranged defense as well. This is a playstyle choice and something that should always be considered in fights - you're safer with range. Once you keep that in mind, always remember to lead with cc. This is doubly true while leveling and engaging packs of enemies. Once enemies are cc'd, then you can enter and/or mix in melee. It's just the moment a Boss runs up on you, you have to be ready with Blind.

On Illusion Dom, PA won't taunt but they provide a distraction. This means you have to lean into the other fastest recharging cc's you have which is mainly Gleam and also Spectral Terror. Most of Martials kit is at ranged, the most desirable reason's to go into melee are Thunder Kick and Dragon's Tail. 

Unfortunately while leveling slots are at a premium. I don't usually try to build early perma Dom - my personal advice for slotting a Dom while leveling:

• Get the standard slots in Health and Stamina for the end uniques. End is always a concern leveling.
  • Hasten 2 or (temporarily) 3 slotted.
  • Put majority of slots into attacks.
  • I barely bother with any toggles except CJ or Hover and Superior Invis with 1 or 2 slots for endred or LotG before level ~35.
  • Slot Gleam asap.
  • PA might be able to just get away with some recharge until you get slots.
  • Most other Illusion powers could get away with 1 slot Accuracy, maybe a little bit for recharge. Especially Spectral Terror.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wimbochismo said:

No probs! Happy to help. 

Spectral Wall can definitely have some uses. Immobs help with AV's running and generally stopping runners etc. It also has an extra -tohit debuff. The dpa isn't amazing but a big issue is that it's dot damage. In todays gogogo meta, 9s to do its full damage can be a pain. With a 4s recharge, it's also not very reliable for procs.

Fighting is definitely one of my go-to pools for defense and s/l res. However, in builds its usage can be variable based on a large number of factors. The main limiting quality is that it also requires Kick or Boxing as a dead power - it's a struggle trying to squeeze in those LotG mules. In the build I posted above, Psionic Mastery was taken which provides a strong s/l/psi res shield in Mind Over Body. This gets s/l res to almost 50% which will more than suffice for an already "squishy" AT. Ideally you could get Tough on top of that to hit 75%, but you don't have to.

The build above focuses on ranged defense. I have a Plant/Martial with ranged defense as well. This is a playstyle choice and something that should always be considered in fights - you're safer with range. Once you keep that in mind, always remember to lead with cc. This is doubly true while leveling and engaging packs of enemies. Once enemies are cc'd, then you can enter and/or mix in melee. It's just the moment a Boss runs up on you, you have to be ready with Blind.

On Illusion Dom, PA won't taunt but they provide a distraction. This means you have to lean into the other fastest recharging cc's you have which is mainly Gleam and also Spectral Terror. Most of Martials kit is at ranged, the most desirable reason's to go into melee are Thunder Kick and Dragon's Tail. 

Unfortunately while leveling slots are at a premium. I don't usually try to build early perma Dom - my personal advice for slotting a Dom while leveling:

• Get the standard slots in Health and Stamina for the end uniques. End is always a concern leveling.
  • I barely bother with any toggles except CJ or Hover and Superior Invis with 1 or 2 slots for endred or LotG before level ~35.
  • Slot Gleam asap.
  • Most other Illusion powers could get away with 1 slot Accuracy, maybe a little bit for recharge. Especially Spectral Terror.

Wow amazing advice you really helped me thank you friend!

14 hours ago, Wimbochismo said:

No probs! Happy to help. 

• Slot Gleam asap.

Do you have a build you can share? I am literally new to building and capping all of these defenses I do not even remember having to do this on live but I am sick of being squishy ugh thanks, I dont copy builds btw I just get ideas and adjust to my playstyle so I am not looking for free help since people like to presume when someone asks for a build.

5 hours ago, StarseedWarrior said:

Do you have a build you can share? I am literally new to building and capping all of these defenses I do not even remember having to do this on live but I am sick of being squishy ugh thanks, I dont copy builds btw I just get ideas and adjust to my playstyle so I am not looking for free help since people like to presume when someone asks for a build.

You can just take the build I posted above and switch Energy for Martial. It's almost a 1-1 exchange, just switch Caltrops for Thunder Kick. If you do that you get the same build stats: 45 ranged defense, perma Hasten, 50 s/l res. The two 50+5 recharges that were in Power Up go to Envenomed Blades which makes it almost perma. Could switch out Psi Nado for Spinning Kick or Caltrops or something.

6 hours ago, Wimbochismo said:

You can just take the build I posted above and switch Energy for Martial. It's almost a 1-1 exchange, just switch Caltrops for Thunder Kick. If you do that you get the same build stats: 45 ranged defense, perma Hasten, 50 s/l res. The two 50+5 recharges that were in Power Up go to Envenomed Blades which makes it almost perma. Could switch out Psi Nado for Spinning Kick or Caltrops or something.

Thanks allot!

• Thumbs Up 1