Sister Psyche and the timelines

Scarlet Shocker

Just ran Lord Recluse SF, which IMO is one of the better SF/TFs in the game.

Spoiler

on one mission you are sent to the future to defeat Freedom Phalanx and Sister Psyche is alive in the future, when in our time she is already dead.

But when we get to Atlas Park in the present, later in the same SF, Penny Yin is there.

It seems weird that she could be in one place but not the other.

Ok... I know there's a technical reason why it's difficult to remove her from the future mission, cut scenes and whatnot, but it does jar and made me go WTF.

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I can understand where you are at, I think that is an issue how they tell their story as time changes from 1-50 and only later in the game seem to affect other level portions.

I wish they did that originally as what people or heroes do affect various times etc. I would guess this is an alternate time in the future now as Lord Recluse stamped on an insect and changed future heroes.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

One of the more interesting approaches to paradox resolution in time travel is the Many Worlds Interpretation, which posits that there are no paradoxes because all possibilities can be true if they occur in different universes.  Using the grandfather paradox example, murdering your grandfather before your father was conceived would cause you to be moved into a universe.  In your original universe, that man is dead and you never existed, but you now exist in a different universe, one in which killing that man doesn't create a paradox.

Applying this theory to your observation, a paradoxical situation was created at some point during the SF, shunting you into a different universe.

The real question you should be asking is whether you returned to the correct universe.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

One of the more interesting approaches to paradox resolution in time travel is the Many Worlds Interpretation, which posits that there are no paradoxes because all possibilities can be true if they occur in different universes.  Using the grandfather paradox example, murdering your grandfather before your father was conceived would cause you to be moved into a universe.  In your original universe, that man is dead and you never existed, but you now exist in a different universe, one in which killing that man doesn't create a paradox.

Applying this theory to your observation, a paradoxical situation was created at some point during the SF, shunting you into a different universe.

The real question you should be asking is whether you returned to the correct universe.

I get that. I'm familiar with the concept.  Every action has an alternative outcome and from that springs a new universe but that is not implied in this game. Yes, we have alternate worlds but those are usually well explained.

This just feels clunky because Sister P exists when she should not (we have no indication so far as I read that we've moved to an alternate timeline) and that's backed up by Penny's presence in Atlas later.

It just feels awful writing - or rather lack thereof.

I'd also remind readers that I have huge issues with the whole killing of Sister P in the first instance. It was entirely unnecessary and almost a "well they know we're going to kill Statesman, so let's throw this blinder in to catch them off guard"

But then they forgot about the LRSF loop.

I get that the new devs wanted Penny. She is an interesting character, but she is also something of a usurper. She could exist in her own right, with her own TF and place in the FP, without killing of SP.

Just seems shoddy and half-arsed the way they worked this out and made me go "WHOA!"

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

Great.  Now my eye twitch is back.  Thanks.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

On 12/18/2023 at 1:46 PM, High_Beam said:

Great.  Now my eye twitch is back.  Thanks.

Great, another item from the Apple store: iTwitch

A stupidly overpriced device for live streaming gamers

• Haha 2

On 12/17/2023 at 8:15 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I get that. I'm familiar with the concept.  Every action has an alternative outcome and from that springs a new universe but that is not implied in this game. Yes, we have alternate worlds but those are usually well explained.

This just feels clunky because Sister P exists when she should not (we have no indication so far as I read that we've moved to an alternate timeline) and that's backed up by Penny's presence in Atlas later.

It just feels awful writing - or rather lack thereof.

I'd also remind readers that I have huge issues with the whole killing of Sister P in the first instance. It was entirely unnecessary and almost a "well they know we're going to kill Statesman, so let's throw this blinder in to catch them off guard"

But then they forgot about the LRSF loop.

I get that the new devs wanted Penny. She is an interesting character, but she is also something of a usurper. She could exist in her own right, with her own TF and place in the FP, without killing of SP.

Just seems shoddy and half-arsed the way they worked this out and made me go "WHOA!"

The word on the street that I heard (source: trust me bro) is that the reason that Sister P got killed off was because she was another character made by Jack Emmert, rather than being chosen for best storyline material. Much of the point of Who Will Die was just to give Jack the middle finger by killing his characters after his departure. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

6 hours ago, FupDup said:

The word on the street that I heard (source: trust me bro) is that the reason that Sister P got killed off was because she was another character made by Jack Emmert, rather than being chosen for best storyline material. Much of the point of Who Will Die was just to give Jack the middle finger by killing his characters after his departure. 

This makes me feel bad because it portrays the devs in an unfavourable light, petty and mean which is quite sad.

That said, I don't find it unbelievable at all 😕

I am confident that they killed Psyche because of those wretched platform heels she wore.  Just . . . ew.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)