Minimized Graphics, FPS dips as low as 1.

Rahimus

My PC is normally pretty powerful, powerful enough that I can run other games that are more stressful on my PC more comfortably, yet somehow it can't handle CoH. It gets so bad that looking certain directions in Atlas Park reduces it to around 5-10, and slows my actual controls, making moving my character a struggle when it kicks in. All the while, moving and  looking at certain places also brings it up to around 60.

Can anyone give me recommendations for how to fix this?

• Lead Game Master

Hi there

Try reducing your graphic settings one at a time. It might be one of the advanced shadow or reflection settings that, for whatever reason, is giving your PC a hard time.

Or, other way around: reduce everything to minimum, and crank up slowly from there.

Also, post your specs, maybe something will stand out as being a problem.

• Like 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

6 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

Hi there

Try reducing your graphic settings one at a time. It might be one of the advanced shadow or reflection settings that, for whatever reason, is giving your PC a hard time.

Or, other way around: reduce everything to minimum, and crank up slowly from there.

Also, post your specs, maybe something will stand out as being a problem.

The Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz   2.11 GHz

System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Not sure if I should put Device or Product ID so for safety I'm not gonna do that unless asked, and beyond that IDK what else would be important info.

As for the in-game settings of CoH, I did check the advanced settings and minimized everything prior to testing, so every value is either at Very Low, or the Slider is all the way to the left, and I still encounter this issue, so I was thinking it wasn't that. (Especially given in certain areas, such as specific building interiors it's fine, but others, like the sewers, it's not.)

Thanks for the help btw.

6 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

It would be good to know what graphics card you have, and how much memory your system has installed.

Ok I think I found it.

Chip Type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family

DAC Type: Internal

Approx. Total Memory: 4140 MB

Display Memory (VRAM): 128MB

IDK if this is it or not.

• Lead Game Master
Posted (edited)

Hmm... yeah, that's integrated graphics. CoH doesn't play nice with that sort of thing. Even though CoH isn't a very demanding game by modern standards, its engine was built with "desktops having a discreet graphics card" in mind.

You might want to try freeing up RAM and CPU usage by closing out other programs, and running CoH on a fresh reboot. You can also use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest video drivers available, that might help a little. Lowering the in-game resolution might help, as well (though that'll make things look blurry).

If you want, also try this: in your windows search bar, type "dxdiag". Run the program. Then, have it save a log report. Send this text file to me directly via forum DM, and I'll take a look at it to see if maybe there's some other issue. Don't post the file in this thread; it may contain personal identifying information.

Edited by GM Impervium

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

Hmm... yeah, that's integrated graphics. CoH doesn't play nice with that sort of thing. Even though CoH isn't a very demanding game by modern standards, its engine was built with "desktops having a discreet graphics card" in mind.

You might want to try freeing up RAM and CPU usage by closing out other programs, and running CoH on a fresh reboot. You can also use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest video drivers available, that might help a little. Lowering the in-game resolution might help, as well (though that'll make things look blurry).

If you want, also try this: in your windows search bar, type "dxdiag". Run the program. Then, have it save a log report. Send this text file to me directly via forum DM, and I'll take a look at it to see if maybe there's some other issue. Don't post the file in this thread; it may contain personal identifying information.

So run CoH alone, noted.

As for Log Report, give me a second to figure out how DMing works on Forums.

Edit: How do I save logs with DxDiag? "Save all Information"?

Edit 2: Figured out how, and sent a DM. (This Edit is for those who came in after the DM was sent)

Edited by Rahimus

Based upon the specs you provided, your going to have a rough time running this game above minimum specs. The i5-10210U is a relatively middle of the pack mobile processor despite being a 10th gen. The processor has plenty of power to run the game if paired with a discrete GPU, but he integrated graphics is the weak point.   Your PC  is basically designed for non graphics intense desktop applications (word processing, web browsing, 2d gaming).

Like GM Impervium said, this game was designed for use with discrete GPUs. While it can be played with internal graphics, you are not going to have a wonderful gaming experience as the internal graphics just does not have the raw power to perform the needed calculations for 3D graphics within the game at more than minimal settings.

My work Laptop has a 10th Gen I7 10870h with 32GB of ram and a Quadro T1000 discrete graphics and it even struggles to run the game at much above mid-range settings, using a processor that is more than 2x the raw power of yours. However my discrete graphics are not optimized for gaming and rather for 3D CAD work.

Considering that your processor the i5-10210U is a mobile type, I think I am safe to assume that this is a laptop, so upgrading your GPU is not an option.

There is hope, there are plenty of 1080p Gaming pc builds that can be done in the neighborhood of $500, and those systems will play this game very well at mid-high settings and will give you a much better experience and will also allow you to play other titles that your current hardware cannot run. 

Hope this was helpful, even though it may have come off as bad news. 

Edited by Mr. Apocalypse
  • Like 1

well a forum search says there is a workaround for running Intel GPU with CoX, try what is in this Thread:

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

well a forum search says there is a workaround for running Intel GPU with CoX, try what is in this Thread:

After some playing with the settings mentioned in this forum, it definitely solved my issue. Thanks so much! 😄

Edit: To explain the situation now, I am able to run the game on Ultra juuuust fine after these changes, meaning I can always lower my settings if it gets a bit rough. So it's pretty good, thanks for the help y'all! 😄

Edited by Rahimus
Sharing my post-setting change experience.
  • Like 1

You can also enlarge your Paging File Size, which lets programs and the system use part of your available hard drive space as psuedo Ram Memory, it can definitely help when loading from zone to zone or into missions.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X