Why are my Teammate and I getting different options from the same Quest giver?

First of all I would like to point out I'm a new player brought in by the buzz that came from the announcement about NCSoft. (Be kind)

My friend an I have completed the Tutorial and Are not picking up the quests from inside the City Hall in Atlas Park. Specifically from the SERAPH representative, and it came to a point where we got a choice of what mission we were going to do next and we were both given 2 options. 

Problem is we were given different options. so now we're on the same questline, trying to level together, but.. having to do different quests?

Is there a way to make it so that we only have to do the same quests? 

Also, I noticed that while all the other Origin Quest givers had the Quest Arrows over their head that mine, the MAGI rep, didn't even though she had quests for me; is there anything I can do about that?

Thanks!

(I'm sorry if these seem to be questions with obvious answers but I tried looking for solutions)

Blueside is very odd. It was when the game was new. To give everyone a “ new” feel on multiple runs contacts give side missions out of any order.  Their story arc is in order once it starts. Also you will get diff contacts on different runs who basically give the same stuff

What smaller snarky said.  Basically, sometimes missions are given in a random order.  If you want to try and sync up with a friend while this is happening, one of you can "abandon" your mission (done by taking to the contact again and choosing abandon) then talk to the contact again.  This will give another roll of the mission choosing RNG.

What this team needs is more Defenders

So the way contacts work in this game (generally anyway, there are probably some exceptions) is that they have a pool of random missions that you can be given in any order, as long as you're within the appropriate level range, as well things called Story Arcs.

You'll know you're on one of these if you see a green book symbol by the contact's portrait in the contact list. These are a series of missions that are given out in a specific order and the contact will keep giving you missions in the arc even if you outlevel it. So if both you and your friend can both get on the same story arc you can do those missions together (you'll get a prompt at the end of the mission if you're not the mission owner asking if you want to autocomplete yours as well)

Afraid I can't help you with the quest arrows problem. I assume you mean Azuria?

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Azuria

You can use the wiki to check what missions are available from what contact to make it easier to sync up with your friend.

Nuclea - Rad/Rad Defender - Defiant - LoonyToons

2 hours ago, bobtheninjagoldfish said:

Problem is we were given different options. so now we're on the same questline, trying to level together, but.. having to do different quests?

Is there a way to make it so that we only have to do the same quests?

You don't actually have to have the same quests to level together.  Having the same quest and both completing it as you progress is ONE option.  Another option is to just do anyone's quests.  You'll both get the same XP for kills and mission complete.

Also, you can go to one of the contacts that has a fixed sequence of missions.  One example at low level would be Twinshot (her arc starts as low as level 5 and runs to 19).  I would definitely recommend doing her Shooting Stars arc at least once.  It has a good story and it's newer (better written and designed) content.  Some of the content written 20+ years ago is . . .  let's say 'uninspired'.  Another good low-level contact is Matthew Habashy.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.