Improving the new character/new player experience

The new player / new character experience could potentially use some improvement.

Suggestions and discussion welcome!

Some early tutorials may be a bit dated or could use updating to the current game.

Getting a good flow on how to control a character, chat with other players, defeat enemies, use inspirations, level up, use vendors/trainers, p2w, slot powers, create recipes, use the market, Invention Origin sets, badges, accolades, merits, special salvage, travel between zones, and on, and on.

So much to learn when brand new and it's also the first impression of the game to a new player.

The Galaxy City tutorial I think is pretty good, others not so much. Some topics might have wonderful tutorials.

Twinshot's 'The Shining Stars - A New Day Dawning' is, in my opinion, simply painful for no good reason.

Flambeaux.. Request: Could we get a mission where we get to punish her in some way for being an awful human.. please.

Is there a comprehensive list of tutorials somewhere?

Let's face it the early game can be a bit repetitive with only a couple powers and no xp boost.

I'd be willing to put money on the DFB (Death From Below) being one of the most often played arcs/trials/taskforces.

As such, maybe a new early trial or refreshing an existing one that isn't played as much anymore could be an option.

What say you?

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

18 minutes ago, Troo said:

The Galaxy City tutorial I think is pretty good, others not so much.

Outbreak and Breakout were brought back. For a while. the only non-Praetorian tutorial we could access after the update that removed Galaxy City as a starting zone was the Galaxy City tutorial.

Twinshot's 'The Shining Stars - A New Day Dawning' is, in my opinion, simply painful for no good reason.

Considering that there are players that PL to 50 and then have no idea how to do basic things like use the tram, that tutorial makes sense to me. (Edit: Yes, the PL 50'ed characters can't do those arcs, but for other players that don't know about things like the tram, it still works.)

Flambeaux.. Request: Could we get a mission where we get to punish her in some way for being an awful human.. please.

There are multiple such missions. You just have to be red side to get them.

Edited by Rudra

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

i like what you are saying. tell me more..

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:
19 minutes ago, Troo said:

Considering that there are players that PL to 50 and then have no idea how to do basic things like use the tram, that tutorial makes sense to me.

for sure, it serves a purpose, but it still could use some QOL improvements and still help teach.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

23 minutes ago, Troo said:
1 hour ago, Rudra said:

i like what you are saying. tell me more..

Well, the first time is in the Hearts of Darkness Killing Game mission in the Heroic Measures (2nd) arc. She also shows up in the Two Too Many Flambeauxs tip mission, the Filmed Announcement tip mission. and the Your Personal Blog tip mission. (Heroes can fight her in the Art, Psychics, And You tip mission as well.)

Edit: If you have a base with an oracle or mission computer, you can buy the desired tip(s) for 1 merit each. The tips are all 40+. Your Personal Blog is a tip for Vigilantes in the Rogue Isles. I think they might also fight her in the Flambeaux's Social Network Page tip. This last one is 20-29.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1

Idea: someone could make say a YouTube video guide series of the game, make a sticky post in the guides section of the forums, and maybe even have a link to it as a pop-up at level 1.

Then there's no way people don't have a reasonable means to access basic game knowledge should they want it and others could just click past it like when we get a notification that such and such contact would like to meet us as we level up.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. So something like this makes sure the horse knows there's water.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Thumbs Up 1

During character creation there should be some description of the Praetorian/"Going Rogue" option indicating the type of experience that it provides.

Brand New players that head in that direction might mistakenly believe that the game is completely devoid of players. I don't remember if it says so, but the concept that the zones are a level 1-20 experience might be misleading: "Oh, these are low level zones, this must be a tutorial starting point!" which it very much is not.

Even just a simple recommendation that the Praetorian starting zones are recommended for experienced players who are looking for a more story-driven experience, are comfortable with soloing through arcs, and are familiar with turning XP on and off to ensure arcs and contacts can be completed might be enough.

We've already had at least one new player post about their experience starting there and how it wasn't great for them.

Edited by InvaderStych
minor adjustments
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

• 2 weeks later