Energy vs Electric

Cpt. Caveat

My main was a Eng/eng stalker I use to PvP with and loved the energy set even though it was single target. 

I took energy because the idea of “scrapping it out” on a stalker wasn’t really much of an option and hit and run tactics worked wonders.

However I wanted to take Elec so I could join in the Frey when people went out clearing portal missions but when they have half a map aggroed even if I could one shot a enemy with every attack, I would have 4 or 5 dead in the time it took a blaster or scalper to aoe burst the whole pull down.

I know EM is just going to be better damage and now it even has a little aoe in a cone. Plus I’ve seen end game builds taking out +4 AV’s and that’s just hot stuff and tickles me in ways I want more of. 

However I see a good bit of talk about Elec and I’m wondering is Elec strong enough to take down nasty AV’s solo?  Or is Elec just the go to aoe damage so you can look better in a group or on big pulls. 

I want to fall in love with elec but I have this “a stalker is a single target assassin not an aoe trash clearing class”, and I don’t know if that’s truly different now. 

• 2 weeks later

Elec melee for stalker has plenty of ST damage, don't worry. My currently (pun intended) favorite char is an elec/SR stalker. Elec's ST damage output is still better than its AoE; the gap between the ST and AoE output is just not as large on Elec as it is on other stalker primaries, that's all. 

I hope that answers your question.

I have not played Energy melee since the Live days, but if the set's only AoE is a cone... well, personally I find that cone melee attacks suffer from the problem of having to position yourself to get the bad guys within the cone, and positioning takes time, and that time could be better spent punching mobs. Not a problem for people with good reflexes, but sadly I am not one of those people. Power Crash has a nice, wide cone radius of 120 degrees, which probably helps. But personally I still generally prefer PBAoE to cones. And to reiterate, this is just my biased opinion of a set I have not even played, so take it with a huge grain of salt. Still, considering the fact that no one else has responded to your OP, even a reply of dubious quality is still the smartest reply in the thread so far 😉