The Torchbearer CC Scam On Friday Afternoon

MoggieCanada

Okay, those individuals who hosted a fake CC on Torcherbearer and made everyone stand around in Atlas Park for 90 minutes for nothing are not what this community represents.

How do I know it was a fake?

*The winners were not announced in broadcast or request. We were told they were privately notified but no one fessed up to winning
*The contest went for nearly 90 minutes.

*The contest started on the spot and not at the usual top of the hour.
*The hosts did not lock people who were late out of consideration. In fact, 15 minutes before the contest ended they were still judging new arrivals on the spot.
*A screenie of the participants were taken but a link was never shared to individuals or publically posted. This implies a snapshot of the people who were scammed and had their time wasted.

I am going to check if my client logged chats during this event and if it does, names WILL be named. 

Edited by MoggieCanada

As a fellow participant in said CC,  I can vouch for what happened in the OP's comments above. While my opinions are solely my own and not fact, I've been in lots of CCs (and was even a judge during my days as a member of Justice F0rce on Live when we hosted CCs), and this was one of the strangest ones I've ever been in.

Alas, my client does not log chats, but I do remember one of the people who were hosting the CC coming around (named Kemet Goddess) to individually talk to each participant about their costume and read their bios. That certainly made for a long CC, especially (as mentioned before) when late arrivals right up to the end of the CC were allowed in and judged. 

The fact that the name of the winner was not broadcast in either Request or Broadcast channels  is possible proof that this was in fact a gag pulled.

While I can understand the OP's frustration about time being wasted for nothing, I wasn't bothered by that. In fact, as a redsider player with a very dark and weird sense of humour, I found it ingenious and funny. Yes, the "hosts" wasted a lot of players' time and deserve criticism, but it was a masterful stroke.

Even if the OP does have the chat logs, what good will it do to name names? Unless there were people who donated prize money and got taken for a ride when the prize money was not doled out, I don't think this was that big an offense done and shaming won't bring back the time lost. 

Having said this, the OP has given us a way to identify and avoid similar pranks like this  in the future. For starters, players should only go to CCs that are only on the server's Events Calendar or broadcast by Admins, even if the hosts are small SGs/VGs.  If it's not on the calendar, don't go. If the hosts won't use Broadcast or Request during the contest, don't stay. If the hosts refuse to lock late arrivals and won't specify a length of time -- in public -- on how long the CC runs for, that's suspect too.

Just my two-cents worth.

Edited by TorontoSunshine
  • Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 3:12 PM, BurtHutt said:

I am saddened that this type of person(s) is on our game. I hope the 'host's' contact info was put out there - mass ignores are one step is getting rid of these types of idiots. 

Thanks for your comments. My client did not log chats so I'm out of luck...but thank you Ehnea for remembering Kemet Goddess was the one looking at both our costumes and our bios. If I see the player online again I'll get the SG that player belongs to and will share it here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

We used to have a similar thing happen on Everlasting - a lot.  The person in question would announce a CC, no theme, small pot, starting in thirty minutes! And local deep-pockets folks would contribute to the pot, because they're nice.  But the winners would end up being contacted privately, and more importantly the *prizes* were contacted privately.

One day we wised up and the people who won put their heads together and added up the prize money... which was quite short of the amounts donated.

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.