Beam Rifle/Something [First Character]

Breidr

Tried the server a while back and spent most of my time in the costume creator.  With all the hype surrounding the new license, it dragged me back.  I've never really "built" a character.  I'm actually quite garbage at figuring out game systems.

I played a Martial Arts/Willpower Scrapper on live and manged to make it to cap.  I'm sure the character was poorly kitted out, and slotted in garbage, but I did it.  This time around, I've opted for the new Scrapper, now with range!  I have no idea how my AT special feature works, but the beam rifle goes pew, so there's that.

I'm looking at the "passive" powers for my second set.  Either Invulnerability, Super Reflexes, or Willpower.  It was nice to hear that Beam Rifle is one of the better sets.  Totally not intentional, but I'll take it.  I just want to be a Little Green Army Man [Get it?] and pew my way to victory!

I'd lean towards Invulnerability or Super Reflexes. Willpower is kinda meh on Sentinels (or on non-tanks really). 

The AT special feature is a click button that charges up over time that applies a debuff to a single enemy target. Make sure to either put the Vulnerability power in your power tray somewhere if you haven't already, or even make a macro for it. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

For a bit more context on why Beam is considered being where it is, that is mostly due to the Sentinel version having another area power. Beam is generally a high single target damage set in other ATs, but has lower AoE potential (which really may not even be an issue depending on AT). The Sentinel version is less of the single target powerhouse, and a bit more normalized in how it handles multiple targets. It is still a good set, but the comparisons of it don't fully work against other ATs. Just something to keep in mind. 

17 hours ago, FupDup said:

I'd lean towards Invulnerability or Super Reflexes. Willpower is kinda meh on Sentinels (or on non-tanks really). 

The AT special feature is a click button that charges up over time that applies a debuff to a single enemy target. Make sure to either put the Vulnerability power in your power tray somewhere if you haven't already, or even make a macro for it. 

Thanks for the tip.  Opted for Super Reflexes, just because.  Now comes the long road of figuring everything else out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I'm curious how refractor beam is in play. I have taken Beam to 50 on a Blaster and Defender. I just rolled a Beam Sentinel the other day so I was curious about how effective Refractor beam is in regards to applying damage, but also potential -res procs in anyone's experience that has tried it.

I checked the math and seems with no recharge slotting in the power Achilles gets about a 15% proc rate and Annihilation gets a 13% proc rate per target (up to 10 targets).

In real use I'm curious about how effective that might be, noting that with smaller groups it chains less and may be more reliable.

How's the damage on the power overall?

Thanks.

Sentinel gets better aoe version and shorter range, it feels weird playing it short ranged though at first, you also get your ultimate's allot faster to spam. Since you played scrapper they are similar. Try bio, ele, or even energy maybe. I hear invul is good to.

Edited by StarseedWarrior

5 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I'm curious how refractor beam is in play. I have taken Beam to 50 on a Blaster and Defender. I just rolled a Beam Sentinel the other day so I was curious about how effective Refractor beam is in regards to applying damage, but also potential -res procs in anyone's experience that has tried it.

I checked the math and seems with no recharge slotting in the power Achilles gets about a 15% proc rate and Annihilation gets a 13% proc rate per target (up to 10 targets).

In real use I'm curious about how effective that might be, noting that with smaller groups it chains less and may be more reliable.

How's the damage on the power overall?

Thanks.

Refractor has the same basic damage as other circular AOE powers like M30 Grenade, Neutron Bomb, Explosive Arrow, etc along with the same recharge (so it should have the same proc potential as any of those similar powers). 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

My BR Sentinel has Refractor Beam slotted mostly for %damage, because I wanted to get damage apart from Energy if I could.:

• Hami-O Centriole (Damage / Range)
  • D-Sync Guidance (Accuracy / Range)
  • Javelin Volley %Lethal
  • Bombardment %Fire
  • Shield Breaker %Lethal
  • Touch of Lady Gret %Negative

I have no complaints about the %proc rates. I have Annihilation slotted in Piercing Beam (mostly for set bonuses). I felt like the timing wasn't good enough to try to go heavy into a %-Resistance,