What's the deal with cosplay?

Hi,

I'm posting this because I'm wondering about what's, for lack of a better phrase, "the deal" with cosplaying existing characters?

I ask because my first CoH character was a blatant clone of DC Comics' Batman, but when I posted a screencap of that character, someone told me that was against ToS, so I went ahead and deleted that character and tried to come up with something more original.

However, while I won't tattle on specific players by name, I couldn't help but notice a great deal of similar blatant clones during my travels through CoH thus far.

So, my question is pretty much this: cosplaying existing heroes. Yea or nay?

You are confusing "cosplay" with IP infringement.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/terms/

also here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/#copyright

Relevant portion to your particular question:

image.png.167d40fea0c6d157570249bb1da5700f.png

CoH Players have always been pretty good about self-reporting, even during Legacy, regarding IP infringement with costumes/names when they come across them.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

First --  new to game

Now that all the "thats not how its done" folks can stop typing....

Whats the harm in creating a knock offf toon?  Seems petty if someone spent the time to create 'Aqua man' and increased the brand that anyone would be in legal trouble.

I haven't gotten very in progression BECAUSE I keep making new heroes/villians.  The only downside I see is that the toon wouldn't surprise anyone with its powers.

10 minutes ago, Shamus47 said:

First --  new to game

Now that all the "thats not how its done" folks can stop typing....

Whats the harm in creating a knock offf toon?  Seems petty if someone spent the time to create 'Aqua man' and increased the brand that anyone would be in legal trouble.

I haven't gotten very in progression BECAUSE I keep making new heroes/villians.  The only downside I see is that the toon wouldn't surprise anyone with its powers.

Your question was answered two posts up, it's against the terms of service. If you feel the need to push that, feel free to, but you're gonna be spinning wheels and possibly banned if you keep doing it ingame. 

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

• Game Master

And this isn't really a Support forum issue.  Terms of Service questions like this can be directed to us by turning in a Support ticket.  Thanks.

Edited by GM Tock