Keyboard unresponsive when editing base

When I am editing my base I encounter a situation where my keyboard not longer works.  I am unable to enter any slash commands or place new objects.

This tends to happen more often when I am doing comex manipulations of an object.  (Rotating on multiple axis).  The only resolution is to exit out of the game and go back in.

I am working outside the base.  I have placed about 2000 objects.

Any thoughts as to what is happening?

It's a bug, pretty sure they know about it.

This works for me. When it does this click an item in the item selection category and then more the cursor to the center of the screen and delete the item you selected. This should allow you to move your toon around again.

There has been occasions that I had to do it twice to release my key controls.

If there is a better way then that, beats me.

@Etched

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Etched said:

It's a bug, pretty sure they know about it.

This works for me. When it does this click an item in the item selection category and then more the cursor to the center of the screen and delete the item you selected. This should allow you to move your toon around again.

There has been occasions that I had to do it twice to release my key controls.

If there is a better way then that, beats me.

@Etched

Thanks, I will give it a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep

Thank you for reporting this, I have never heard of this particular bug before, and how wonderful, Etched, that you figured out a workaround! Please let us know, Monty, if that works for you. And both of you, if you could please sign up to allow data dumps for diagnostics, it'd help to figure out why things like this happen.

-Dacy

@Dacy, It kinda blows me away that no one else has had this happen to them. The game has been doin thisto me  for a long time and is the second bug that frustrates me the most, the first would be the item category switchin when movin from one room to another. 

Also. Thank you for the referral for base build. :) 

Keep sending them my way.

@Etched

11 hours ago, Dacy said:

Thank you for reporting this, I have never heard of this particular bug before, and how wonderful, Etched, that you figured out a workaround! Please let us know, Monty, if that works for you. And both of you, if you could please sign up to allow data dumps for diagnostics, it'd help to figure out why things like this happen.

-Dacy

I read the post about diagnostics and also read the:

"From Dacy: I do recommend NOT trying this on a big base you value. I just don't trust things that make the editor crash to not mess with something. I have no idea if that caution is warranted or not, it might be a non issue, but I tend to be a bit paranoid around what might happen, and I'd hate to see a nice base messed up."

I think I'll have to pass on enabling the diagnostics for this reason.  I have way too many hours in this and I am building outside the base with multiple levels.

I will try as @Etched has mention and will report back.

Thanks for all the help.

@Monty Haull , i have never heard the data dump or diagnostics crashin the game. Mainly it records if there is a crash and sends that information to COH HC so they can see why you are crashin and hopefully fix it in the future. The biggest for a game crash is activating the Cel Shadin within the options.

I have had this happen a number of times and I assure you that it will not manipulate the base. However,  I understand if you choose not to use it but it will give the devs insight as to why it crashes while Cel Shadin is in use.

I have both active and have never lost information within the base. 

As a Base Rep, @Dacy is just doin her part to make for a smoother base editin experience. I doubt she is goin to offer bad advice.

Once the base is finished mind sending me the pass code so I can check it out.

@Etched

• Retired Community Rep
8 hours ago, Etched said:

@Dacy, It kinda blows me away that no one else has had this happen to them. The game has been doin thisto me  for a long time and is the second bug that frustrates me the most, the first would be the item category switchin when movin from one room to another. 

I'm not able to say no one else has had it happen, I'm just saying that I personally have not yet heard of this (or run into it myself). As for the categories switching, I agree, it's annoying. I would not count on that being addressed anytime soon, however; the base code is uncooperative, and they have found that messing with it can sometimes break everything, so they don't really like touching it and they have a lot of projects, plus their full time jobs. I can't say for sure the status of that, I'm just saying, this is what I know of the situation.

8 hours ago, Monty Haull said:

think I'll have to pass on enabling the diagnostics for this reason.  I have way too many hours in this and I am building outside the base with multiple levels.

That caution was ONLY for doing the cel shading data dump. Enabling diagnostics will not endanger your base. But the diagnostics may help them figure out why you freeze like that.

Cel shading is a known factor in crashes, that's what that was about, so because it causes crashes, I don't recommend trying it on a large base just for the experiment if you weren't having problems already.

-Dacy

• Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep

And thank you again for bringing this to my attention, and thank you @Monty Haull for calling my attention to the fact that what I wrote was confusing (and counterproductive, meh).

-Dacy

@Dacy @Etched

I encountered the issue again and here is some more information:

I was placing items outside the base and using fine adjustments, all snapping disabled.   The keyboard became unresponsive other than searching for items.  I WAS able to place items inside the base.  I could not enter any slash commands or chat.  Mouse work fine except as described above.  I tried sending an in game email, keyboard did not work.

Here are some system details:

I am using tequila.

Have a modern Nvidia GPU

Plenty of RAM and storage.

Windows 10 pro

AMD CPU

I had two building sessions yesterday, same base.  The first session had the keyboard issue the second did not.

The only difference I see is the first session the population lower but, I was working with larger items.  Large dock pieces.

The second session was more crowded population.  I had to wait in a queue to get in.  I was working with smaller items.  Stairs and rails.

Hope this gives some insight.  I will use the HC launcher with diagnostics.

Edit:  failed again

Using the HC launcher w/diags

Keyboard became unresponsive.

I could only type the / key in the chat window.  I did continue typing like /stuck.  While it did accept then enter key, nothing happened.

I was placing dock platform 3 when is happened.

I exited the base into AP.  No keyboard.

I think I'll do some testing with placing the dock platform items and see if I can make it fail.

Edited by Monty Haull

• Retired Community Rep

You are making sure that you are OUT of the search field, right? Because you can't do anything if you've clicked in the search field except type in the search field. Until, of course, you click OUT of the search field.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy

On 1/29/2024 at 5:32 AM, Dacy said:

You are making sure that you are OUT of the search field, right? Because you can't do anything if you've clicked in the search field except type in the search field. Until, of course, you click OUT of the search field.

-Dacy

So, it happened again.  Same circumstances.  

I had been working in the base for about 15-29 minutes.  I was placing dock platform items.  After placing about 4 of them, the next one I placed went inside the base not outside the base.  I deleted them but still could not place any new items outside the base.

While I was filtered using the search, I was already placing items so, I don't think that was the problem.  

Note: I have not investigated the scenario or NOT using the filter/search.  I will have to try that.

Again, the keystrokes are not recognized after exiting the base editor or leaving the base altogether.  I must exit the game completely and relaunch.

Is there any additional information I could provide?

• Retired Community Rep

You tried re-enabling clipping, to make sure it didn't get hit by mistake, I assume.

Also, please report your graphics settings at the time, and whether or not you have any experimental graphics (cel shading) enabled.

Hmm. Really strange, I will pass it along. Thanks!

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy

• Retired Community Rep

Also, couldn't help but notice, you were placing dock platforms both times! See if that is the item that is somehow triggering this. Please note which dock platform if so.

-Dacy

• Retired Community Rep
4 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I'm finding that running at 6K renders the editor nigh unusable.

I think I was talking about that with someone who has high rez monitors and it wasn't an issue for them, so it may depend on perhaps the graphics card? I know, for instance, Discord doesn't play well with systems that run certain types of system components. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the engine for COH isn't so compatible with some of the newer components, either. That's what I remember, anyway, tho I don't have more details than that, perhaps someone out there can confirm if they are running a high rez monitor and are able to use their whole screen in edit mode.

-Dacy

14 hours ago, Dacy said:

Also, couldn't help but notice, you were placing dock platforms both times! See if that is the item that is somehow triggering this. Please note which dock platform if so.

-Dacy

There is a possible pattern here.  The item was dock platform 1.  

12 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Also, what resolution are you editing at?

I'm finding that running at 6K renders the editor nigh unusable.

I am set at 4k full screen.

8 hours ago, Dacy said:

I think I was talking about that with someone who has high rez monitors and it wasn't an issue for them, so it may depend on perhaps the graphics card? I know, for instance, Discord doesn't play well with systems that run certain types of system components. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the engine for COH isn't so compatible with some of the newer components, either. That's what I remember, anyway, tho I don't have more details than that, perhaps someone out there can confirm if they are running a high rez monitor and are able to use their whole screen in edit mode.

-Dacy

I am running a self built system.  AMD Thread ripper 2950x, EVGA RTX3090, 64 GB RAM, Asus motherboard, Samsung NVME SSD.  Windows 10pro.  I am running in 4k full screen.  I will have to screenshot the COH graphics settings as I do have some advanced settings enabled.  

8 hours ago, Dacy said:

-Dacy

I'm running a 3070Ti.
Had the same behavior on the same system with a 2060.
2Years2Rigs.thumb.jpg.7088a2a5a71e79790f441738199a4da0.jpgRyzenProcessMonitor.jpg.0224cfd02739a7da4ca0e7d44440bd15.jpg

Tried it on both Win10 and Win11.
Now back on Win10 because of Microsoft idiocy.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

CoH-Settings-Graphics.thumb.jpg.95cd3c3b47194faef69867440f7e768d.jpgCoH-Settings-Windows-01.thumb.jpg.6fdbed42352d3488db1a65a29d9f42e7.jpgCoH-Settings-Windows-02.thumb.jpg.20474654a4752673c64aef561b9bdcd6.jpg

System:

Ryzen 5950X (Water Cooled)
64GB RAM
4TB (2/1/1) Samsung SSD
NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti

PSU: Seasonic Prime 1000W
(Currently have a 1300W EVGA unit as an emergency backup.  Before my EVGA points went away...)
UPS: APC BackUPS 1500  (ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!  Power in my place can't handle the draw and if the USP is disconnected, the machine just resets itself.)

Fans:
2x 200mm  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZP46RNR
x 140mm  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KF7O58G

Radiator: 360mm Corsair Hydro H150 (Had all the LED crap removed) 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/662689/corsair-icue-h150i-elite-capellix-xt-360mm-all-in-one-liquid-cpu-cooling-kit-white
Original radiator setup was damaged  during a system servicing and needed fast replacement (Is my personal work machine.  And trying to operate from a laptop SUCKED!

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• Retired Community Rep

Okay, well, key info: no cel shading. If you want to help debug it, I would suggest playing with a few of the settings, one a time, and see if you can replicate the bug. @Etched, you've had this same issue, are any of his settings the same as yours? In game, not system wise, although if you also share any components, that would be of note.

-Dacy

@Etched @Dacy  I did some Google-fu and found an interesting comment on Reddit about the Logitech keyboard software.  They seem to think it might be part of the issue.  I so happen have a Logitech keyboard with the software loaded.  I have disable the software and will see if the problem persist.

Btw, I am not using cel shading.

Unless @Monty Haull is also using a Microsoft mouse then hardware wise we are not.

When this happens to me it's as if the cursor is gettin stuck on the item name text within the categoties. This is why I suggested clicking on an item and movin the cursor to the center of the screen and deleting the item. This has always snapped the game back so I can keep editin.

I have cel shadin turned off, so it can't be that option causing this.

The only common component is our hardware. Monty with the Microsoft keyboard and me with a Microsoft mouse. 

@Etched

4 minutes ago, Monty Haull said:

Just a point of correction, I have a Logitech keyboard.

Make that two points of correction because I have a Logitech mouse.

Forgive me, i was in my garage when postin, with no coffee and it was around 40 degrees. I don't smoke in my house so I go into my garage to have a cigarette.

My brain was not fully functionin. :( 

@Etched

• 1 month later

Thought I would give an update.

With the new updates I don't encounter the issue much.  I do encounter instances where I can't place an new object.  When this happens I have to undo the last action (control+z).  This clears whatever is happening and I can continue on.  Only once did I encounter the issue of the keyboard not responding.

In all cases I am manipulating an object on its axis.  

• Thumbs Up 1