First time as Tanker

Lugzan

I like Willpower. It’s very generic, without any great strengths, but no weaknesses either. It has some defense, some resistance, some regeneration, some recovery. Pairs well with everything. 

The American Dream, Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker, Everlasting.

Ice armor is the set I suggest to newer tanks/new players who want to tank. I think a lot of people who read that suggestion will immediately be repulsed and groan; Ice isn't a very popular set in the community for some reason, but let me explain!

Why?

- Great without expensive enhancements/set bonuses, but has a lot of room to improve if you choose to invest.

- Energy absorption is a really fun active ability. You can really feel yourself getting stronger when you jump into a group, drain their endurance and dodge all their attacks.

- Has a decent self heal (two if you count Hibernate, and take it).

- The set heavily favors Defense but if you dip into the Fighting pool and slot some good bonuses eventually you can get your resists up there. I'd suggest slotting +res Might of the Tanker into your Icicles ASAP.

But as has been mentioned; play what you find aestehtically appealing or mechanically interesting.

Edited by Wiseguy

AKA @Shibbs

I tend to struggle with Tankers, a little low on the damage scales for my liking, but I've gotten two to 50 so far.  Willpower/Titan and Fire/Dual Blades. 

Willpower/Titan is a little basic but the lack of clicks in Willpower helps you stay focused on your burst damage when Momentum is going and the armor's all-around good for pretty much anything.  I bet I could do better but I skipped Arc of Destruction due to an insistance on being a flying tank (small fairy with a giant sword concept) and AoD requires being grounded, didn't want to bother.

Fire/DB was surprisingly solid.  Despite DB's shortcomings the AoE size buffs help a lot and Fiery Embrace yet again clutches with the bonus damage.  Good slotting shores up the defenses and Healing Flames is up every 10 seconds anyway so getting in too deep is no concern.  Put KB procs in Typhoon's Edge and Sweeping Strike and you'll have most everything knocked over in each attack chain. Another insistance on flying though (burning valkyrie concept) caused me to commit the cardinal sin of skipping Burn but I'm still doing well without it I think.

Before my hiatus I was also running a Radiation/Broadsword too.  I'm not entirely sure what direction I was going with that without logging in though but I got it to 40 so that must mean I had liked some aspect of it.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.