"Jumpy" graphics

Zombra

Hi!  I have been playing Homecoming for the past couple weeks with no issues and loving it.

Today, whenever I am moving anywhere in game, there is a lot of stuttering.  It feels like the game is reloading textures every few steps I take and it's making me seasick and barely playable.

I tried rebooting my computer, turning off FSAA, setting maxfps lower, and reducing general graphics settings to Performance.  Issue persists.

My video card is     MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB.

Any insight or advice appreciated.

• 1 month later

Me again.  The exact same issue in the OP is back.  There was a driver update and I updated.  There was a Windows 11 update and I updated that too.  Restarted my computer and fired up the game and it's jumpy, jumpy, jumpy stuttering.

Again, any insight or advice appreciated.

Question.  Was the video card driver from the manufacturer?  And did the Windows 11 update overwrite the previous driver update from the manufacturer?  Can you check the driver update history?  And can you reload the previous driver?

• Thanks 1

That's several questions 🙂

The GPU driver was through GeForce Experience and it is a GeForce card.  I don't think the manufacturer (MSI) does their own drivers.

I don't know if Windows 11 changed the driver, but I did test the game between the two updates and it had the issue both before and after I updated Windows.  When I ask GeForce Experience to check for new drivers it says my drivers have the most recent update.

I'm not sure in this moment whether I can roll back to a previous driver easily but I will look into that next.  Note that the issue was occurring before I updated any drivers this evening (but the game was running fine this morning).  I feel like there was a very small unannounced Homecoming update today and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Posted (edited)

Update: rolled back to previous driver.  Issue persists.

Note: not mentioned before, when I noticed the issue earlier this evening, after the first driver update I also reset default video settings in game.  Last time this happened tweaking video settings didn't seem to help, only the driver update did.

Edit: Just for fun I reinstalled today's new GeForce drivers again, issue persists 🙂

Edited by Zombra

There have been reports that the GeForce Experience causes multiple problems with CoH, some have uninstalled it and just installed the actual drivers for the card with positive results.

• Thanks 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

From @DoctorDitko a while back...

Possibly, in the sense that I am deeply suspicious of software that reports back to its makers. Granted, Nvidia has more excuses than most to report back. The GeForce Experience can be quite helpful, especially to new users who haven't been tweaking games/gfx settings for many years.

Still, the modern drivers in a default install include:

• The display driver itself.
  • PhysX support.
  • An auto-updater.
  • Reporting on all games installed, including downloading special settings for many games.
  • A streaming server that automatically records the last 20 seconds of gameplay, just in case you want to stream or save it.
  • A screenshot utility with various options to upload to many different services.
  • Telemetry that reports which games you play and for how long, hardware details, and game settings.
  • A javascript engine.
  • Software to support the Nvidia Shield wireless controller.
  • Various hotkeys to invoke the above services on command.

If you use all these background services and utilities, you may be glad of them. Personally, my data cap won't allow me to stream, etc. I don't need to waste my limited throughput on telemetry (or ads, helpful tips on settings, or helping anyone "improve their customer experience.") so I have no need for most of the above. I use the aforementioned NVSlimmer to trim it back to:

• Display driver
  • PhysX
  • Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Interesting, thanks @Marine X.  (And thank you @American Decoy for your help earlier.)

I didn't want to let go of GeForce Experience just yet so I went back and tried the remedial steps which didn't work last time ... capping maxfps at 60 seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Still, all this data on GFE is good to know and I'll think about moving on from it.

• Game Master
Posted (edited)

GeForce Experience is also end-of-life, they're replacing it with an "NVidia App".  I wouldn't expect any fixes or improvements to GFE during that transition.

MarineX is right, unless you need it for the shrinking amount of features the NVidia App supports compared to GFE, the minimal driver install is fine.

Edited by GM Tock
  • Thanks 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Note to self, it looks like during a Homecoming update or possibly after the graphics reset that resulted, the game was set to basic fullscreen mode.  Changing back to borderless fullscreen appears to have fixed the problem.

• Thumbs Up 2