Reflavoring existing powersets/"Weapon Proliferation"

First, I think the addition of any actually new powersets is amazing and welcome.

But I also like the idea of taking existing powersets, and giving them new animation options that allows a single powerset to be used for multiple different character concepts. This can be achieved by just having new animations for the existing powersets.

For example, a "magical staff" animation set that lets a character choose a staff weapon model and animations that "cast" a power from the staff. This could be applied to any ranged powerset that doesn't already have a weapon animation set. This can achieve a "wizard throwing fireballs" concept. Or using a rifle model and animation set can achieve a "Captain Cold" or "superhero with an elemental weapon" concept.

Conversely, having a "non-weapon" animation set for a weapon powerset could achieve the same end. Imagine reflavoring "assault rifle" powerset to "shoot" from the wrists or hands to achieve an Iron Man-like look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Very much in support of this.

Perhaps also alternate vfx to add coverage for overlapping themes and effects - such as energy blast having alternates for force field and kinetics  in place of the molecular look since all three are energy-related and generally do knockback anyway.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 8:57 PM, lolcritrockets said:

Conversely, having a "non-weapon" animation set for a weapon powerset could achieve the same end. Imagine reflavoring "assault rifle" powerset to "shoot" from the wrists or hands to achieve an Iron Man-like look.

This 100%. I've created a tech hero who is basically a fighter jet, in the form of an Iron Man like suit. The problem is that I do not want an actual assault rifle on my character. I want the weapons to come out of his wrists / hands.