Hybrid MM's!

Sarion

This is my first time posting in a forum and while I am not new to CoH/V, I have not explored the finer points of the game.  I have experienced the wonders that is Bot/FF , the moment a mob gets past my defense, my bots and by proxy myself fold like origami paper. Conversely I have tried Demon/ Thermal and while they are tough, I find that the demons are gassed just after one battle, they are large and noisy and all around bothersome to groups. I was curious as to the viability/ soloability of a hybrid build like Thug/thermal. With the auras that add both defense and resists, leadership pool and perhaps other power pool choices like various armors from patron and tough and weave, is it possible to find a healthy balance between resists and defense for my pets and I? I am looking for the opinions of more experienced minds than that of my own. Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcomed!

Bots/FF ... how far did you get?  How did you slot your FF stuff?

I had a Bots/FF on Live, the only character I hit level cap with (though I had a couple others in the 40s, blueside).  I slotted heavily for defense, ran Leadership toggles, bubbled everything as often as END permitted,  and 99% of the time, the robots were funtionally untouchable.  (AVs and GMs were a problem, but you're not supposed to solo them, anyway.)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Got my bots to 45 before I became frustrated. While I did like the untouchable part of Bots/FF but all mobs seems to have that 5% chance to hit you and when they do.. OUCH! Not to mention defense cascade failure , they shred my bots , Arachnos, Longbow , anything with negative def, just murders my bots. As for slotting, I did the typical build focus on Defense and the like, ran leadership. Just looking for that good medium, minions that are a bit hard to hit but when they do, they don't crumble to dust.

Thugs thermal would not work as well as you think because only the bruiser has any resistances base. You are only adding about 24% resists from your secondary and that won’t stop a one shot. Demons thermal actually cap out smashing lethal fire toxic and cold resistances.

If by gassed out you mean the pets are out of endurance this is true for all mm primaries and why you should slot one end reduction in the pets before io sets and incarnates.

Got my bots to 45 before I became frustrated. While I did like the untouchable part of Bots/FF but all mobs seems to have that 5% chance to hit you and when they do.. OUCH!

Yes, 5% is the floor for chance-to-actually-connect with an attack.  For both players, and NPCs.

OTOH, your experiences were strangely different from mine, playing Bots/FF straight to level 50.  Including a long slogging grind from 38 or 39 to 42 (ran out of content, during i7 or i8 - outlevelled the paper in one zone, wasn't high enough in the next).  That slog was against Longbow, specifically, too.  With the difficulty dialled up, even.  ::shrug::

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Can you post your build?

Also, are there certain groups that consistently lead to trouble? And what difficulty are you playing?

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

This is my first time posting in a forum and while I am not new to CoH/V, I have not explored the finer points of the game.  I have experienced the wonders that is Bot/FF , the moment a mob gets past my defense, my bots and by proxy myself fold like origami paper. Conversely I have tried Demon/ Thermal and while they are tough, I find that the demons are gassed just after one battle, they are large and noisy and all around bothersome to groups. I was curious as to the viability/ soloability of a hybrid build like Thug/thermal. With the auras that add both defense and resists, leadership pool and perhaps other power pool choices like various armors from patron and tough and weave, is it possible to find a healthy balance between resists and defense for my pets and I? I am looking for the opinions of more experienced minds than that of my own. Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcomed!

If you want, try thugs/time or thugs/dark.  Bots/traps may also suit you better if you're bot centric.

From the sound of things, and without more information, there may be a bit of your playstyle coming into the context of things of why you feel squishy along with your use of general IO slotting(or not) too.

Your minions no matter what can and do die and you do have to respawn them as needed too.  This is quite normal.