Newbie question - help choosing AT

Amber Raven

Hi everyone,

I played for about 4 or 5 months when the game first came out (grav/ff controller) and am currently sat looking at the character creation screen where I have remade that character but this time around I don't have a group of RL friends to play with, and I remember soloing as being unbearable on that character.

I'm thinking potentially sentinel or brute this time, I need something reasonably sturdy as I can't move very well in games, since playing last I've lost an arm (or MM would have been really intriguing :D)

Are there any power combinations in those two ATs that either just don't work together or are noob traps? I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed! Should I be looking at any other AT? I hope to group at some point and would be happy on permanent buff duty, I just want to be able to do missions on my own :) 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome back to Paragon City and the Rogue Isles!

I can attest that a Gravity/Force Field Controller is not solo friendly.  I think Sentinel would be a good first character for you, as it will require less positioning.  There are no traps in the Sentinel AT, everything can work well together.  The only thing I would mention about the Sentinel AT is that the primarily resistance-based armors like Fiery Aura, Dark Armor, and Electric Armor don't work as well as on Tanker and Brute due to the lower resistance cap.  But, play whatever you'd like.  It'll work just fine.

Another option would be a Brute (especially a Willpower Brute), with the Combat Teleport power, which a macro can be made to take you into melee with a single button.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amber Raven said:

Are there any power combinations in those two ATs that either just don't work together or are noob traps? I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed!

I highly recommend trying a dual pistols/radiation armor sentinel;  Very sturdy and since you have ranged attacks, it can alleviate having to chase down enemies.  A lynchpin to this combo, particularly radiation armor, is particle shielding, since it provides absorb and a hefty buff to endurance recovery, so make sure to 3-slot it with recharge and set it to autofire.  Cheers!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amber Raven said:

Hi everyone,

I played for about 4 or 5 months when the game first came out (grav/ff controller) and am currently sat looking at the character creation screen where I have remade that character but this time around I don't have a group of RL friends to play with, and I remember soloing as being unbearable on that character.

I'm thinking potentially sentinel or brute this time, I need something reasonably sturdy as I can't move very well in games, since playing last I've lost an arm (or MM would have been really intriguing :D)

Are there any power combinations in those two ATs that either just don't work together or are noob traps? I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed! Should I be looking at any other AT? I hope to group at some point and would be happy on permanent buff duty, I just want to be able to do missions on my own 🙂 

Thanks in advance!

A lot of people will recommend a scrapper or a brute, but I'd recommend a stalker. Stalkers can be made very sturdy, and they have mez protection in their secondary. Stalkers have a few big advantages that will be of interest to you: they can hide and dictate how each fight starts; with assassin strike, they can eliminate or heavily injure the biggest threat in each encounter; boss fights become trivial. Stalkers solo very well. If you have limitations in moving a character around, this will be a good AT for you.

• Like 1