Technical Guide — massive update to v4.00 for Issue 27 Page 7!

Shenanigunner

Just a note that I've posted another thorough revision of the City of Heroes/Villains/Praetorians Technical Manual.

Version 4.00 has completely reviewed and updated slash commands, window and key names, emotes and more, along with expanded information on complex binds like rolling, walking and dual-action types. It's now 158 pages, about half of which comes from new material and half from a cleaner, easier to read format throughout.

It includes ( a few days prematurely) all the new commands and emotes from Page 7.

Huge props to @BlackSpectre, who over the last year has done a sweeping, deep-dive rewrite of the HC Wiki entries for slash commands. I've absorbed all his updated info and added more of my own through extensive testing of every new and changed command (and keys, and windows, and emotes...)

Why bother with this guide? I'll throw out three reasons:

• Yes, yes, as I am reminded every time I pitch it in the game, you can google specific macros/bindfiles or "just use the wiki" — if, for one thing, you're already pretty much an expert or otherwise can put disconnected bits of information together. If I had a nickel for every extended discussion where a 'googled' bind doesn't work and there's twenty exchanges suggesting how to fix it, I'd... have enough for lunch. The guide is complete, connects all the dots and takes most topics right from the beginning. No prior knowledge, guesswork, or help from equally clueless players who happen to be on needed.

• The web is loaded with information that's outdated, doesn't apply to HC, was wrong in the first place or is just too briefly worded or presented to be of use to anyone but an expert (who has time to test and fix things). The guide is as up-to-date as I can make time to make it, and contains 100% — okay, 98% — validated, checked, complete information, not something I cut and pasted from an old Reddit conversation or a decade-old website. If it's in there, it's right and it works.

• The intersection of people who know something and people who can communicate that something clearly is, as most "google it" victims know, pretty small. A vast number of online resources clearly have great knowledge and expertise... and may as well be written in Sanskrit. I am (1) a charter Live player who's always been fascinated by the technical aspects of the user experience; (2) a professional technical writer for longer than I care to admit (and a national-award-nominated writer in more general terms; I was once edged out for an award by Stephen King — no kidding) and (3) dedicated to giving-back to this game, the HC crew and this extraordinary community.

So, yeah, you can google it. Or you can bypass all the potholes and detours and get it right in one. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com