Anybody else unable to play the game now?

AspieAnarchy

• 2 months later
On 3/2/2024 at 4:04 AM, Marine X said:

I would start with the basics:

Reboot your ISP and router: COH is different than newer games and may have issues when others do not, since you are having issues and not everyone is, best to look at home.

Run /netgraph 1: This will show if the issue is with your connection to the server, if you see a bunch of red bars something is up and you are losing connectivity.

Wired or Wireless? If on WiFi, try switching to a wired connection, this will get you the best possible speed and bandwidth, and eliminate environmental interference.

Which Shard are you on? If on any of the NA Shards try Reunion, if on Reunion, try Indomitable or Torchbearer, the least populated NA Shards. 

What is your Computer? Any specs you can give us may be helpful, there are things that can be done to improve performance such as enlarging the Virtual Memory.

How does one reboot the company that provides internet service, and what does that have to do with the game running out of memory?

I DO appreciate the shard mention, because I HAVE been using mostly the most populated shard lately, so switching MIGHT help?

I am having sort of the same problem on my self built computer, but again, I really don't think it's the network connection causing it. I will probably verify as suggested above and see if that fixes my experience.

Ok so I think I MAY have found the problem. I tried verifying and relaunching, and it told me that the OpenGI driver wasn't working, so I couldn't launch the Homecoming launcher, but then I downloaded a new driver for my graphics card (I had apparently been using  stuff set for my old graphics card?) and the game is running as I type this. That doesn't mean it's fixed, but it does imply the problem wasn't with my ISP.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes you have to take a holistic approach and ask all the questions. Even the crazy ones like what changed or why does x seem to happen when I do y. 

I want to say I have read on here VPN, college campuses and other unique living situations that have caused some players internet service provider isp frustration.   Sometimes the people with the power over the firewall will budge and make it a little less restrictive.  Or they tell you no.  

An online acquaintance gets better COH connectivity at a coffee shop / work place than her small town municipal provided  ISP. I thought it was strange but then I had to call their customer service unrelated to COH and  it was the most eye opening experience into customer dis-service. They just don’t care or don’t have the man power to help on anything. 

I want to say back on live satellite ISPs in part of the globe cause lag or no good connections too. 

Personally I would rather have a wired desktop with too much RAM over a wireless laptop any day of the week but that’s another can of worms. 

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 minute ago, starro said:

Sometimes you have to take a holistic approach and ask all the questions. Even the crazy ones like what changed or why does x seem to happen when I do y. 

I want to say I have read on here VPN, college campuses and other unique living situations that have caused some players internet service provider isp frustration.   Sometimes the people with the power over the firewall will budge and make it a little less restrictive.  Or they tell you no.  

An online acquaintance gets better COH connectivity at a coffee shop / work place than her small town municipal provided  ISP. I thought it was strange but then I had to call their customer service unrelated to COH and  it was the most eye opening experience into customer dis-service. They just don’t care or don’t have the man power to help on anything. 

I want to say back on live satellite ISPs in part of the globe cause lag or no good connections too. 

Personally I would rather have a wired desktop with too much RAM over a wireless laptop any day of the week but that’s another can of worms. 

I understand the frustration, and I'm usually using my own wired "desktop" that I built and is actually UNDER the desk, on the floor. I still don't understand how "Reboot your ISP" is USABLE advice in any way at all

32 minutes ago, NoRA said:

I understand the frustration, and I'm usually using my own wired "desktop" that I built and is actually UNDER the desk, on the floor. I still don't understand how "Reboot your ISP" is USABLE advice in any way at all

Humans are great at mangling communication.   Jargon and terminology can be hard.  I mangle technical terms or sentence structure all the time.   My sister has not rebooted her router for her ISP in 2 years and thinks she needs to pay a guy at Best Buy $50 to do it and then they sell her another copy of anti-virus.    She had a power loss, it was no biggee, you just unplug and replug in and 5 minutes later the red light is blinking green again.  Now she calls me or I do it now and then.   She also will not reboot her computer unless at gun point.  Ah well, I hope you get a resolution. 🙂 

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

53 minutes ago, NoRA said:

If your problem is due to your internet connection, and sometimes it is, then rebooting said connection can fix that problem. No one is saying to go to your ISP's offices and reboot their network. They are just saying to reboot your connection. Which you can do as @starro said. Though I recommend leaving your router or modem unplugged/powered off for at least 20 seconds before starting it back up if that is the source of your problems.

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

20 hours ago, Rudra said:

If your problem is due to your internet connection, and sometimes it is, then rebooting said connection can fix that problem. No one is saying to go to your ISP's offices and reboot their network. They are just saying to reboot your connection. Which you can do as @starro said. Though I recommend leaving your router or modem unplugged/powered off for at least 20 seconds before starting it back up if that is the source of your problems.

my brain was thinking "reboot the ISP" might mean (as a joke) go kill the people and form a NEW ISP so it'd be like a phoenix ISP situation. BUT how does "reeboot your isp" mean "reboot your connection? Maybe this is just my autistic brain saying "everyone knows ISP is a company, not a connection," and not knowing "common sense knowledge."

10 minutes ago, NoRA said:

my brain was thinking "reboot the ISP" might mean (as a joke) go kill the people and form a NEW ISP so it'd be like a phoenix ISP situation. BUT how does "reeboot your isp" mean "reboot your connection? Maybe this is just my autistic brain saying "everyone knows ISP is a company, not a connection," and not knowing "common sense knowledge."

Well, first, despite it being something you would think everyone knows, not everyone knows what an ISP actually is. (I have my mother and a few others as constant examples of people that don't get it.) And second, I sincerely doubt anyone will tell someone on these forums to go do something they obviously can't to fix an internet game problem. (And if you for some reason do have the ability to reset the ISP itself, I would still recommend not doing so unless everyone in the area the ISP is serving is reporting problems or your diagnostics show a reboot is necessary. For hopefully obvious reasons.) So my recommendation is that whenever you see someone telling someone else to reboot their ISP, accept that either they don't actually know the difference or they confused their terminology. It happens.

Though with that said, there have been multiple times when I had to contact Comcast to have them check their connection, and they had to fix it on their end, so that is also an option/possibility. If your provider is actually the source of your problems, that is.