How does converting attuned enhancements work?

Doing an in set conversion worked as expected. Doing an out of set conversion by category did not.

I was on a L9 Blaster. Bought an attuned Volley Fire (min level 15), was trying to turn it into a Salvo (min level 10). I assumed that it would convert at my level (or the minimum possible). After a couple converts, I got a Entropic Chaos (min level 20). Which was a bit of a surprise. What are the rules for converting attuned enhancements by category?

Second question, if it's different, what's the story on converting attuned enhancements by rarity?

my assumption is that attuned IOs can convert within their entire scaling level range, as opposed to converting at the specific level of the IO.

rarity shouldn't change, since that doesn't depend on level at all

I believe so, but it gets a bit weird at times.  As an example you can take an attuned Detonation (very cheap / uncommon Tageted AoE, level 20-50) and convert it, and you might get a Positron's Blast (rare, also level 20-50) or an Annihilation (also rare, level 20-50).  OR, you might get an Air Burst, uncommon, level 10-50.  The problem here is that Air Burst is the only regular (uncommon or rare) targeted AoE IO that goes down to level 10, so you will find that your Air Burst won't allow you to convert to any other Targeted AoE, even though you used that kind of conversion to get to it in the first place.

Which is a bit frustrating because I like to buy cheaper IOs and convert them to the ones I want to use.  >.>  I've run into this little flaw in my plans several times now.

But I believe as long as there is more than one option at a given level, you can do a same type conversion, and thus you could turn a Bonesnap into a Smashing Haymaker and then a Mako's Bite.