A major reason why Enhancements are so expensive now: drops' origin

Twenty years ago, you whippersnappers, I used to fight around Paragon City and get Training drops. Dual-origin drops started at much later levels, and I never got as far as Single-origin. And Training Enhancements were crappy, so there was still the same striving to fill the slots with something better than what income allows without long grinding, in other words, a PROBLEM, but there was one good thing about Training drops: I could use a lot of them myself. No matter what the origin of my character was, I could slot a Training Enhancement to improve one of my own or in a new slot. Even many of the ones not really important for my main powers found some use: I could and did fill the slots for Sprint, Health, all of the smaller powers with status effects I didn't care much about. If I got a power with a minor Knockback or Slow chance, I could fill the slots with stuff from my random drops without spending money I reserved for Accuracy or Damage. Now these days eight out of ten types of DOs that drop are useless to me from the get-go, no matter what. I can only sell them, and that for a fraction of the buying price. In different terms, almost no found treasure is usable except to exchange for store products at a great discount. It's like as if the One Ring was usable only by Sauron.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, temnix said:

Twenty years ago, you whippersnappers, I used to fight around Paragon City and get Training drops. Dual-origin drops started at much later levels, and I never got as far as Single-origin. And Training Enhancements were crappy, so there was still the same striving to fill the slots with something better than what income allows without long grinding, in other words, a PROBLEM, but there was one good thing about Training drops: I could use a lot of them myself. No matter what the origin of my character was, I could slot a Training Enhancement to improve one of my own or in a new slot. Even many of the ones not really important for my main powers found some use: I could and did fill the slots for Sprint, Health, all of the smaller powers with status effects I didn't care much about. If I got a power with a minor Knockback or Slow chance, I could fill the slots with stuff from my random drops without spending money I reserved for Accuracy or Damage. Now these days eight out of ten types of DOs that drop are useless to me from the get-go, no matter what. I can only sell them, and that for a fraction of the buying price. In different terms, almost no found treasure is usable except to exchange for store products at a great discount. It's like as if the One Ring was usable only by Sauron.

Yep, it’s not possible to find sufficient enhancements to fill all of one’s slots before out-leveling them. Nor, to collect enough influence to buy them. At least while only doing missions. It’s a continuing problem for new players that I hope is addressed. 

Currently, the only way to obtain sufficient influence is to sell stuff on the auction house. Or have your own high-level character send influence to your lower-level characters. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

The American Dream, Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker, Everlasting.