People wonder why nobody plays villains, so I made a music video about it.

To me, the music is good, but I can only really appreciate it analytically, as it simply isn't my style. (I have trouble listening to any music that doesn't have lyrics)  Also, the lack of editing does a disservice to both the music and the video.  Music is really powerful in story-telling, just as much so as video, but the lack of editing has the music and video working against each other.  They may be telling the same story, but they aren't telling it together, instead competing for attention.

It seems like what you're trying to do is essentially write a silent film. Again, silent film is not really my cup of tea, but it's valence (which I recently learned means power/attraction/beauty) as an art form is undeniable.  Remember that most of those films would have "inter-title cards", which would help explain the story to the audience.  I wonder if you could somehow use your Powershell thing at the beginning, and break it up throughout the film in order to change music theme to match what we're watching, and possibly even to somehow get subtitles or written exposition of what we're watching?

I appreciate the artisitc ignition.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Malibu pulls up and I step out.

Sometimes you have to be honest with people.  You don't tell a person who cant sing that they sound great because they try out for American Idol and make themselves and everyone around them look like fools.  Dont laugh at jokes that are not funny and dont say they are funny because getting hit by a bottle or three at an open mike night hurts more than the truth.  Just because a persons parents said to their child that they had talent doesn't mean you do; parents are supposed to say that until it becomes delusion.

To the OP here, I am not saying you don't have talent, nor am I saying the person who made the music doesn't have talent.  Many people in this post have tried their best to put a positive spin on things; be impressed by powershell skills and such.  Or giving you tips on how to improve the work.

But the bottom line is that the video isn't good and the music is mediocre at best.  To say otherwise is feeding delusion instead of improvement; mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded.  To many people take silence to be acceptance or approval because too many people chose not to speak for whatever reason.  Constructive and even negative commentary does not equate to mean spirited.

Gets back in the Malibu and drives away

Sometimes you have to be honest with people?  I find it better to always be honest with people, and honestly, your take on this is pure trash.

In the real world, there are much worse things that can happen than being made a fool..  in fact, traditional fools existed for a reason, because they made people feel better.  They really did more to bring light to the world than many people do today.  So I would absolutely say that, if your heart wants to sing, then sing.  Even if I don't laugh at a joke, that doesn't mean the joke isn't funny.  Don't refuse to tell a joke because getting hit by a bottle or three at open mic night is too frightening.  Here in America, the founders wrote the constitution to contain the right to "pursue happiness" instead of including the right to "property", because having the ability to try (and potentially fail) is more important than having the right to succeed.  So never be afraid to try.

The music here isn't "mediocre at best".  It's genuinely good.  It isn't my genre, but that doesn't take away from it being good.  The video isn't technically bad either, but I was honestly surprised to find out there was a story to it.  So the editing, or lack there of, I think is the real problem here. Give it another go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank you for the conversation everyone! I'm honestly happy and amazed that so many people thought to comment. It warms my heart to hear people interacting with something I made, even if the general tone drifted more negative than positive. I have a pretty thick skin, so don't worry - I'm going to keep making videos (among all the other art I make) and I'm definitely going to try and incorporate some of the suggestions and ideas you all brought to the table. I view all this criticism as constructive, so thank you again!

If I make another CoX video that I'm proud of (I'm not proud of all of them teehee) and that addresses some of the concerns raised, then I'll be sure to post it here. However, I noticed there's a more specific board for this kind of thing (Art and Multimedia) so I'll post it there next time. So be sure to keep an eye on that board, both for my sake and for the sake of everyone else who posts there. : )

Just to reiterate and to confirm that I was listening to you, the primary concerns appear to be:

1. focus on the story

2. remove extraneous details

3. use a different shell, like FISH or ZSH instead of BASH - apparently powershell-for-linux doesn't go well with this crowd 😉😉

4. actually turn on my speakers and attempt to align the tone of the video with the music - for this one, I muted my speakers and let fate guide my actions.

5. develop better methods of conveying information to the audience, through subtitles or dialogue or some other method

6. highlight the environments that are unique to Redside, like Grandville or St. Martial

7. remove details that aren't necessarily extraneous but still add to the length

8. provide a better description (some people said they were more interested once they read about Seleo)

9. this one I added, but perhaps find someone else to perform with who "gets it"?

10. a list looks better with 10 elements.

I hope I covered everything. Feel free to update me if I didn't, I'll add to this list here. Again, keep an eye on the Art and Multimedia board if you'd like to see more, or perhaps if you want to see something better by people far more talented than I 🥰

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just about every toon I make starts out a villain, turns vigilante (for faultline, striga, and croatoa-good merits and a ton of temp powers, my last two toons went both ways in striga), then goes rogue. Just about every toon I have has the title "Villain of the Month" and a surprising number of my female toons have the title "Father". I don't know why more people don't play red side, but I'm not talented enough to make a music video of it.