Question About Blasters

WuTang

19 hours ago, Ukase said:

About phase shift. It only lasts 30 seconds. It only takes 1/2 a second to cast, and another 1/2 second to activate. A lot can happen in the interval of time post-nuke and pre-phase shift. 
The worst thing that can happen is you get clobbered. It may be worth trying in certain scenarios. 

Usually, a nuke kills everything except maybe the boss when you're facing even-conned mobs. Facing +2 or +3, some of that may depend on slotting, external damage buffs like Assault, etc. But, against +4s, well, you may not get all of them and just do half damage. While your phase shifted for another 29 seconds...all you can do is run away or hope your teammates have a solution. 

I have a clear memory of being back on live around issue 3 or 4. I used phase shift to avoid some CoT. They just camped at me until the toggle dropped. But I can't recall if the toggle dropped because of some 30 second timer, or if I ran out of endurance. Now, the end use is only 18/s. Hardly worth noticing as toggles go, but after a nuke, it could be an issue for some characters struggling with endurance. 

Let us know how that goes. Sounds interesting. 

Stories like this are why Blasters are more fun for experienced players and frustrating for newer players.  Most vets have not only the maps memorized but the vast majority of mobs and their whole game plan. Therefore having huge armor and mez protection (and it would be nice) is a luxury given up for the power to blast them all to oblivion.  But even for a vet it is dicey. On my new 50 AR/Dev yesterday i must have died 10 times.  But i ran two ITF +4 kill alls, a speed LRSF, a speed MLTF, aTinMage, aTPN, and a Aeon. I play aggressively and do not build for full damage mitigation. I built for +dam, +range, recharge, and a medium amount 30% of ranged defense.  In that priority order.  It is just a chattering machine gun until they plant me or lie quietly still the way they are supposed to. 
image.jpeg.e38f9eea99e525bf8e8e3a4ac7d05344.jpeg

On 3/27/2024 at 11:23 AM, Onlyasandwich said:

I didn't actually realize this! Interesting.

Does this mean I can dance with Carnie bosses when they try to get all sneaky?

Because I was using the Concealment pool (many of my Blasters use Infiltration as a travel power), I took Phase Shift to see if I could use it to fight Carnie Illusionists and Diabloque (while phase shifted). I could not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Stories like this are why Blasters are more fun for experienced players and frustrating for newer players.  Most vets have not only the maps memorized but the vast majority of mobs and their whole game plan. Therefore having huge armor and mez protection (and it would be nice) is a luxury given up for the power to blast them all to oblivion.  But even for a vet it is dicey. On my new 50 AR/Dev yesterday i must have died 10 times.  But i ran two ITF +4 kill alls, a speed LRSF, a speed MLTF, aTinMage, aTPN, and a Aeon. I play aggressively and do not build for full damage mitigation. I built for +dam, +range, recharge, and a medium amount 30% of ranged defense.  In that priority order.  It is just a chattering machine gun until they plant me or lie quietly still the way they are supposed to. 
image.jpeg.e38f9eea99e525bf8e8e3a4ac7d05344.jpeg

Torturer: I see you're no stranger to pain!

Well, I do play a blaster.

• Thumbs Up 1