“Shadowstorm” Tanker: Dark/Elec or Elec/Dark?

Shadowstorm06

Hi all!

Pretty much the title. I started the Electric + Dark theme post and want to run a tanker combing Darkness and Electricity.

Leaves kind of two options: Dark Armor/Electric Melee or Elec Armor/Dark Melee.

Dark Armor/Electric seems like a good “control” tanker stack oppressive gloom with stuns. Also, Lightning Rod is too cool and Dark Armor brings arguably the best heal in the game. Would have to go Cardiac or Vigor for this to help with endurance though.

Elec/Dark Melee will have lots of endurance recovery and some heals itself. Not nearly as much control, but decent AOE damage and can probably keep going and going and going.

Which would you recommend for endgame, fully built out?

i would go with Dark Armor / Electric Melee but i guess depends on how you like to play fully built out Dark armor can have 90%+ Resist to S/L/F/C/N/P/T and be in the 80%range on Cold, it can also have close to soft cap of S/L/M Defense. and if something does get threw and do damage to you you can fully heal in about 7 sec. i personally like the aesthetics of Electric Melee better  

• Like 1

Honestly I think either pairing would make for a serviceable tank.

On one hand dark/elec gives you resistances plus oppressive gloom to stack the stun on that with lightning clap and thunderstrike so everything around you shy of AVs will likely get stunned. You also get the best heal in the game with dark regeneration.

On the other hand, elec/dark, gives you resistances paired with some tohitdebuff on your targets and then you have energize/siphon life. You can lean into sapping with power sink/lightning field and dark consumption (which is also a decent form of mitigation).

Both of these pairings I would aim the build to get resistances up to cap with 1-2 MotT procs, and capped slow resistance so your heals are dry when you are.

For epic choices I really like soul for darkest night on both of these because it adds more tohitdebuff but also -damage to the enemies which makes their attacks on your resistance layer even less. It also acts as a quasi taunt for scooping up agro.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, Shadowstorm06 said:

Hi all!

Pretty much the title. I started the Electric + Dark theme post and want to run a tanker combing Darkness and Electricity.

Leaves kind of two options: Dark Armor/Electric Melee or Elec Armor/Dark Melee.

Dark Armor/Electric seems like a good “control” tanker stack oppressive gloom with stuns. Also, Lightning Rod is too cool and Dark Armor brings arguably the best heal in the game. Would have to go Cardiac or Vigor for this to help with endurance though.

Elec/Dark Melee will have lots of endurance recovery and some heals itself. Not nearly as much control, but decent AOE damage and can probably keep going and going and going.

Which would you recommend for endgame, fully built out?

I would say yes to both. 😜

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Honestly I think either pairing would make for a serviceable tank.

On one hand dark/elec gives you resistances plus oppressive gloom to stack the stun on that with lightning clap and thunderstrike so everything around you shy of AVs will likely get stunned. You also get the best heal in the game with dark regeneration.

On the other hand, elec/dark, gives you resistances paired with some tohitdebuff on your targets and then you have energize/siphon life. You can lean into sapping with power sink/lightning field and dark consumption (which is also a decent form of mitigation).

Both of these pairings I would aim the build to get resistances up to cap with 1-2 MotT procs, and capped slow resistance so your heals are dry when you are.

For epic choices I really like soul for darkest night on both of these because it adds more tohitdebuff but also -damage to the enemies which makes their attacks on your resistance layer even less. It also acts as a quasi taunt for scooping up agro.

That was how I was looking at these sets, really leaning into Regen and maybe some melee defense and getting the resists to a point where I can max most with the tanker proc.

Darkest Night would probably work great with the Elec Armor/Dark Melee. I’m afraid of the endurance consumption on Dark Armor/Elec.

7 minutes ago, Shadowstorm06 said:

That was how I was looking at these sets, really leaning into Regen and maybe some melee defense and getting the resists to a point where I can max most with the tanker proc.

Darkest Night would probably work great with the Elec Armor/Dark Melee. I’m afraid of the endurance consumption on Dark Armor/Elec.

Dark Armor gets a bad reputation for being end hungry, but stick a chance of endurance into dark regeneration and that significantly helps quite a bit. If you're slotting set IOs which I assume is the game plan then you can resolve your endurance woes easily enough. Otherwise you can also go for either musculature radial with built-in end mod, or cardiac core.

• Like 1

From a purely conceptual standpoint (based only on the name), I'd think that Dark Armor / Elec Melee would be a better fit; you'd look like a fearsome cloud of shadows containing a lightning storm that occasionally lashes out. In terms of mechanics and set synergy... IDK. I haven't messed with Dark Armor or Dark Melee enough to have an informed opinion on them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.