Dark/Spines Question

Renatos1023

Just got this character to 48. Have has a blast so far. But wanted to get some better opinions on a power swap. 90% of my chars are Defenders, so Tanks are a bit new to me.

Have loved this character so far, but Spine Burst (the Spines PBAoE) seems to take forever to animate. I've died because of it. The power details say it takes 3 seconds, which is ridiculous - I can mix a drink while it goes off. While it has been a part of my rotation for 48 levels, I'd like to drop it. I went Psy Mastery, so I figured Psy Tornado would fill that gap as it has a lower activation time. Is that a good idea? I will say I currently have all the Spines attacks, except the tier 1. 

Just wanted to gather others' feedback on these sets. I have the first 6 powers in Dark/ cause even my basic Tank knowledge knows that the last 3 powers are not too useful (although part of me wants the the PBAoE disorient). As I said, Defenders are my main, so running a good Tank is generally out of my wheelhouse. 

Global: @Renatos

Main Defenders on Everlasting:

Liza Frost - Lv.50 Cold/Ice; Tara Sonara - Lv.50 Nature/Sonic; Voice of Gaia - Lv.50 Sonic/Sonic; Tenebrous Tide - Lv.50 Dark/Water; Elloria Neutrina - Lv.50 Empathy/Radiation;

Hailblast - Lv.50 Storm/Storm; Elektra Cross - Lv.50 Electric/Electric; Agent Sureshot - Lv.50 Trick Arrow/Electric; Agent Blayze - Lv.46 Thermal/Fire; Twilight Servant - Lv.42 Time/Dark; Commander Trax - Lv.29 Traps/Beam Rifle

Have to agree with Kensai here. . . Spine burst is so not worth the animation time. I have been a spines fan since issue 4 (when I started playing) but found myself stripping it down to its barest essentials. . . Usually use Ripper/Throw Spines/impale (maybe) then mix in OG and sometimes cross punch (for the KB proc mostly). 

3 hours ago, theDarkeOne said:

Have to agree with Kensai here. . . Spine burst is so not worth the animation time. I have been a spines fan since issue 4 (when I started playing) but found myself stripping it down to its barest essentials. . . Usually use Ripper/Throw Spines/impale (maybe) then mix in OG and sometimes cross punch (for the KB proc mostly). 

Yeah, I very much agree with your Spine Burst assessment. Once I respec, it will be dropped. The animation plays and half the things around me are usually dead. No reason for it to be that long. I will have to work in OG, I want it, but as a not veteran melee player, was unsure about its usefulness. Seems it is something to take. Would you slot it with just a base Acc or Disorient?

Liza Frost - Lv.50 Cold/Ice; Tara Sonara - Lv.50 Nature/Sonic; Voice of Gaia - Lv.50 Sonic/Sonic; Tenebrous Tide - Lv.50 Dark/Water; Elloria Neutrina - Lv.50 Empathy/Radiation;

Hailblast - Lv.50 Storm/Storm; Elektra Cross - Lv.50 Electric/Electric; Agent Sureshot - Lv.50 Trick Arrow/Electric; Agent Blayze - Lv.46 Thermal/Fire; Twilight Servant - Lv.42 Time/Dark; Commander Trax - Lv.29 Traps/Beam Rifle

1 hour ago, Renatos1023 said:

I will have to work in OG, I want it, but as a not veteran melee player, was unsure about its usefulness. Seems it is something to take. Would you slot it with just a base Acc or Disorient?

Depending on your overall slotting, you want it to have accuracy first and foremost, after that stun helps boost its duration to stack. My current build uses 2 Absolute Amazements, but that's more for the recovery bonus.

The power will stun minions/lts so you can focus down bosses/ebs/avs.

17 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Depending on your overall slotting, you want it to have accuracy first and foremost, after that stun helps boost its duration to stack. My current build uses 2 Absolute Amazements, but that's more for the recovery bonus.

The power will stun minions/lts so you can focus down bosses/ebs/avs.

Thanks! I'm in the process of trying to build a post-basic IO build and will take this into account. 

I have to say at 50, with basic IOs, and the handful of uniques I've bought, this character sits at a lot of resistance and ~26% Mel/Rng/AoE defense...I still need the second 3% def IO...but I don't get why people say to ignore Defense on a Dark....yea, I have no DDR...but at 30%def to M/R/AoE plus capped res, thats nigh unstoppable. 

I have a build that I am moving towards...However I am looking for advice on the Tanker ATOs. For Spines/ are there two obvious powers that one should slot them in? RIght now, I'm looking at Ripper and Throw Spines for both of the uniques....Is that fine

10 hours ago, Renatos1023 said:

I have a build that I am moving towards...However I am looking for advice on the Tanker ATOs. For Spines/ are there two obvious powers that one should slot them in? RIght now, I'm looking at Ripper and Throw Spines for both of the uniques....Is that fine

There are several philosophies around this topic, and you can see some of the debate, in other threads discussing build theory.

Some split the sets to maximize a certain bonus (like using three pieces of Gauntleted Fist, in two different powers, for double the E/N Resistance bonus).  Me, I'm more of a purist and like to keep them together, and since my tanks can also support fire farms, that 6th piece bonus of 6% F/C resist is desirable.  Personal preference.

As far as the +Res in Might of the Tanker, you can basically guarantee one perpetual bonus in a damage aura.  Some see that as heresy, as the goal should be two continuous stacks and a third, as a possible extra bonus.  I have a varied approach, using MotT in a damage aura on Fire Armor (Blazing Aura), but slotting it in a Tier 1 attack power, virtually every other toon.  Then slotting GF, in the Tier 2 attack.  They proc often and can have two (or three) stacks of +Res, constantly.  Slotting the ATOs, *very early*, assures that while leveling (and if I exemplar down) I get the Res and Absorb bonuses.  If you never play anything but 50+ content, then slotting them in a Tier 9 power certainly works.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

12 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Some split the sets to maximize a certain bonus (like using three pieces of Gauntleted Fist, in two different powers, for double the E/N Resistance bonus).  Me, I'm more of a purist and like to keep them together, and since my tanks can also support fire farms, that 6th piece bonus of 6% F/C resist is desirable.  Personal preference.

I am the same way...I generally do not split the AT enhancements -- I actually don't think I've done it on any character. I appreciate your feedback! 

I feel like Dark/ is an underestimated powerset. I have been doing +4 ITFs since I hit 50 and have not had any issues. I got all 12 of my tanker AT enhancements boosted. And am working on other enhancements. My resistances are super high, with S/L/Psi capped and many others also very high, and I also have about 33% def to Rng/AoE, and 38% melee. With my newly minted T3 Ageless incarnate, I have no endurance issues. My biggest issue is slows...and I am looking to slot some of those sets in the future.

On a side note, I ran into a /Dark stalker today...who didn't have his Smash/Lethal or Fire/Cold shields...he was Lv.48 and on my ITF. He was also wondering why he was dying, and more concernedly, loving the fact that he had a self rez. I think there is a lot of room in this game for educating people on their powersets. After PM-ing him, I learned that he was worried about the endurance drain of the shields, but had taken the almost useless rez. Thankfully, he met my Dark/ tanker and should be doing a respec. But I think there is an area where we as a community should help newer people...the fact that he got to Lv.48 without anyone pointing out that he didn't have 2/3 of his main shields was concerning. As a mostly Defender player, I think we can all help people improve their builds.

Just wanted to share my planned build. Currently have everything minus the Avalanche set in Quills. This is one of the most fun Tanks I've ever played. With incarnates my numbers are:

1. Defenses (Soft cap = 45%)
    • 49.7 Melee
    • 46.3 AoE
    • 34.7 Ranged
  2. Resists (Cap at 90%)
    • 110.1% Psi
    • 101.5% Sm/Le
    • 99.5% Neg
    • 91.2% Fire/Cold
    • 68% Energy
    • 62% Tox

This is an expensive, but worth it build. I haven't had this much fun in a long time. I hope this Mids code works:

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

Edited by Renatos1023