A minor complaint about the dominator ATO

I know it has been said before, but why is the dominator the only AT with an attack set, primary or secondary, that does not have an ATO that slots into attacks?!  

Even Defender ATOs slot into their attacks.  However, Dominator ATOs are almost a clone of the Controller ATOs.    This is... unfortunate.  As an AT with "two primaries" this would have been a great opportunity to do something a bit more unique and have one control ATO and one attack ATO.  Ideally, Ascendancy of the Dominator and whatever replaces the lame-o Dominating Grasp (why doesn't this have +Recharge?!).

Anyway, thanks for reading my complaint.  Posting it makes me feel a bit better as I stare at Mids.  😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Microphone 1

I think most everyone has the same thoughts on the Dominator ATOs. One for Control and one for Attack would be the most ideal in my personal opinion. Add on the fact that adding ranged defense to a AT that lives a huge amount of it's life in melee is not ideal either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly if they enhanced mez and damage it would go a long way to helping..the set bonuses on ascendancy are pretty good, but dominating grasp are kinda meh with the exception of the fiery orb proc.

If I was given carte balance to change the dominating grasp set bonuses they would be:

2. + 1.8% Max Endurance (3.6% when superior)

3. 6.25% Recharge (10% when superior)

4.  7.5% Range (10% when superior)

5. 3% Recovery (4% when superior)

6. Energy/Neg Defense 3.75% / Ranged 1.875% (when superior 5% and 2.5%)

Bonuses come from:

2, 3, 5: Scourging Blast

4: Blasters Wrath

6: Dominating Grasp 

All bonuses stayed at their respective levels when pulled from the corresponding ATO sets.

This would help out dominators  with:

• endurance/recovery issues as we know having all those attacks and no sustain power can be problematic
  • helping to make perma Dom easier to attain which can free up some slotting choices in other powers.
  • Helps them have an edge on ranged distance, which can increase the depth of some cone attacks.
  • And helps building for ranged defense.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RelativeQuanta said:

I know it has been said before, but why is the dominator the only AT with an attack set, primary or secondary, that does not have an ATO that slots into attacks?!  

Mastermind ATOs only slot into pet summoning powers. They do not slot into attacks.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

30 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Mastermind ATOs only slot into pet summoning powers. They do not slot into attacks.

True, but they're not exactly attack sets either, in the same way gravity control, mind control, and illusion are not attack sets despite stuff like lift, levitate, and spectral wounds existing.

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

2 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Honestly if they enhanced mez and damage it would go a long way to helping..the set bonuses on ascendancy are pretty good, but dominating grasp are kinda meh with the exception of the fiery orb proc.

If I was given carte balance to change the dominating grasp set bonuses they would be:

2. + 1.8% Max Endurance (3.6% when superior)

3. 6.25% Recharge (10% when superior)

4.  7.5% Range (10% when superior)

5. 3% Recovery (4% when superior)

6. Energy/Neg Defense 3.75% / Ranged 1.875% (when superior 5% and 2.5%)

Bonuses come from:

2, 3, 5: Scourging Blast

4: Blasters Wrath

6: Dominating Grasp 

All bonuses stayed at their respective levels when pulled from the corresponding ATO sets.

This would help out dominators  with:

• endurance/recovery issues as we know having all those attacks and no sustain power can be problematic
  • helping to make perma Dom easier to attain which can free up some slotting choices in other powers.
  • Helps them have an edge on ranged distance, which can increase the depth of some cone attacks.
  • And helps building for ranged defense.

Absolutely, this would be a great change.

• Like 1

I think SeraphimKensai's idea is the best, just improve dominating grasp.  Most of the other ATs I play I usually try to squeeze in both sets, with the dominator sets I just squeeze in Ascendency + the other's proc.  It feels like a missed opportunity.

I honestly don't think it matters too much about control vs damage for where the sets go.  The holds always get the 4-piece Basilisk Gaze set for 7.5% recharge and a proc.  The other control sets almost all have a 5-piece bonus of 6.25% recharge somewhere, which does compete in the rule of 5 against ranged & AOE attacks but they are usually the cheaper option.  Melee and melee AOE are in the 5% bucket and can be "nicely slotted" with only 5 slots.  None of these will make an outsized impact while leveling up, and once you hit 50 they all compete for that magic 10% bracket if you want to push it that far.  In practice, if I had the option to go either direction or both, I'd still end up using the dominator sets to ease the pressure on that 6.25% recharge bucket - none of those existing alternative sets are perfect and one of them are bad options.

lol of course most of my dom builds are levelling/budget permadom builds, which probably taints my perspective.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dauntless said:

I think SeraphimKensai's idea is the best, just improve dominating grasp.  Most of the other ATs I play I usually try to squeeze in both sets, with the dominator sets I just squeeze in Ascendency + the other's proc.  It feels like a missed opportunity.

I honestly don't think it matters too much about control vs damage for where the sets go.  The holds always get the 4-piece Basilisk Gaze set for 7.5% recharge and a proc.  The other control sets almost all have a 5-piece bonus of 6.25% recharge somewhere, which does compete in the rule of 5 against ranged & AOE attacks but they are usually the cheaper option.  Melee and melee AOE are in the 5% bucket and can be "nicely slotted" with only 5 slots.  None of these will make an outsized impact while leveling up, and once you hit 50 they all compete for that magic 10% bracket if you want to push it that far.  In practice, if I had the option to go either direction or both, I'd still end up using the dominator sets to ease the pressure on that 6.25% recharge bucket - none of those existing alternative sets are perfect and one of them are bad options.

lol of course most of my dom builds are levelling/budget permadom builds, which probably taints my perspective.

I suppose I was thinking more about level 50 slotting.  Basilisk's Gaze is almost too good at 7.5% recharge for only four slots.  This means slotting an ATO in your hold is only going to get you 2.5% more recharge.  You're generally only going to have one of each of the other control types and they all have purple IO sets that give 10% recharge, so you're aren't "gaining" there.  But you're very likely to have multiple attacks, so if the ATO could go in an attack (and had +10% Recharge) you're much more likely have a bigger gain.  Or just have a new opportunity. 

I currently am working towards a build that's squeezing out more +Recharge by slotting 5 purple sets and deliberately using 5 slots of non-superior Ascendency of the Dominator on spectral terror to squeeze out an extra 2.5% of +Recharge over using cloud senses.  So, maybe I'm overthinking stuff.  

• Like 1