How to slot my Bots/Time?

Chashak

Posted (edited)

I dabbled with MM back on live (Bots, specifically) and enjoyed it but never really got back into MMs since. I'm now leveling a Bots/Time and trying to plan out a decent build. How does this look?

It's looking like I'll be able to fairly easily softcap DEF on myself and the bots, so I skipped the corresponding aura globals. So far leveling this it has been a blast, super durable and laid back (activate all toggles, wade into melee to debuff enemy ToHit, watch bots kill everything) but I'm in the weird situation of having slots to spare and I'm not sure where best to put them, or if where I've already slotted is best?

Chronogear - Villain Mastermind
Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3
──────────────────────────────
Primary powerset: RoboticsSecondary powerset: Time ManipulationPool powerset (#1): LeadershipPool powerset (#2): SpeedPool powerset (#3): FlightPool powerset (#4): LeapingAncillary powerset: Mace Mastery

Powers taken:

Level 1: Battle Drones
A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage3: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance3: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets5: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus5: Blood Mandate: Damage7: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage

Level 1: Temporal Mending
A: Preventive Medicine: Heal11: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance17: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime19: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime19: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance21: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Pulse Rifle Burst
A: Superior Winter's Bite: Recharge/Chance for -Speed & -Recharge11: Superior Winter's Bite: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance45: Superior Winter's Bite: Damage/RechargeTime46: Superior Winter's Bite: Accuracy/Damage

Level 4: Time's Juncture
A: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff33: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance33: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff/Endurance34: Dark Watcher's Despair: Chance for Recharge Slow34: Pacing of the Turtle: Chance of -Recharge

Level 6: Equip Robot
A: Aegis: Psionic/Status Resistance36: Steadfast Protection: Knockback Protection37: Impervious Skin: Status Resistance/Regeneration43: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HP

Level 8: Assault
A: Invention: Endurance Reduction

Level 10: Temporal Selection
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 12: Protector Bots
A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen13: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance13: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge17: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 14: Maneuvers
A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed37: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance39: Gift of the Ancients: Defense/Endurance

Level 16: Distortion Field
A: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage39: Neuronic Shutdown: Chance of Damage(Psionic)40: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance of Damage(Psionic)40: Gladiator's Net: Chance of Damage(Lethal)42: Impeded Swiftness: Chance of Damage(Smashing)43: Ice Mistral's Torment: Chance for Cold Damage

Level 18: Tactics
A: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance34: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff36: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 20: Hasten
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction21: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 22: Assault Bot
A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage23: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance23: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge27: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Endurance27: Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build Up33: Overwhelming Force: Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 24: Farsight
A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed25: Gift of the Ancients: Defense25: Gift of the Ancients: Defense/Increased Run Speed

Level 26: Upgrade Robot
A: Miracle: Heal37: Miracle: Heal/Endurance40: Miracle: Heal/Recharge45: Miracle: +Recovery

Level 28: Slowed Response
A: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff29: Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Damage29: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage36: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 30: Chrono Shift
A: Efficacy Adaptor: EndMod/Recharge31: Performance Shifter: EndMod/Recharge31: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge31: Preemptive Optimization: EndMod/Recharge

Level 32: Maintenance Drone
A: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Endurance39: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Recharge42: Doctored Wounds: Endurance/Recharge43: Doctored Wounds: Recharge45: Doctored Wounds: Heal

Level 35: Hover
A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

Level 41: Power Boost
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction42: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 44: Air Superiority
A: Invention: Damage Increase

Level 47: Group Fly
A: Invention: Endurance Reduction48: Invention: Endurance Reduction50: Hypersonic: Flying / Increased Fly Protection

Level 49: Vengeance

Inherents:

Level 1: Supremacy

Level 1: Brawl
(Empty)

Level 1: Sprint
A: Unbounded Leap: +Stealth

Level 2: Rest
(Empty)

Level 1: Swift
A: Invention: Run Speed

Level 1: Hurdle
A: Invention: Jumping

Level 1: Health
A: Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance9: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery

Level 1: Stamina
A: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End7: Performance Shifter: EndMod9: Invention: Endurance Modification

Level 1: Battle Drone

Level 12: Protector Bot

Chronogear - Mastermind (Robotics - Time Manipulation).mbd

Edited by Chashak

29 minutes ago, Chashak said:

I dabbled with MM back on live (Bots, specifically) and enjoyed it but never really got back into MMs since. I'm now leveling a Bots/Time and trying to plan out a decent build. How does this look?

It's looking like I'll be able to fairly easily softcap DEF on myself and the bots, so I skipped the corresponding aura globals. So far leveling this it has been a blast, super durable and laid back (activate all toggles, wade into melee to debuff enemy ToHit, watch bots kill everything) but I'm in the weird situation of having slots to spare and I'm not sure where best to put them, or if where I've already slotted is best?

Chronogear - Villain Mastermind
Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3
Primary powerset: RoboticsSecondary powerset: Time ManipulationPool powerset (#1): LeadershipPool powerset (#2): SpeedPool powerset (#3): FlightPool powerset (#4): LeapingAncillary powerset: Mace Mastery

Powers taken:

Level 1: Battle Drones
A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage3: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance3: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets5: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus5: Blood Mandate: Damage7: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage

Level 1: Temporal Mending
A: Preventive Medicine: Heal11: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance17: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime19: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime19: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance21: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Pulse Rifle Burst
A: Superior Winter's Bite: Recharge/Chance for -Speed & -Recharge11: Superior Winter's Bite: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance45: Superior Winter's Bite: Damage/RechargeTime46: Superior Winter's Bite: Accuracy/Damage

Level 4: Time's Juncture
A: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff33: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance33: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff/Endurance34: Dark Watcher's Despair: Chance for Recharge Slow34: Pacing of the Turtle: Chance of -Recharge

Level 6: Equip Robot
A: Aegis: Psionic/Status Resistance36: Steadfast Protection: Knockback Protection37: Impervious Skin: Status Resistance/Regeneration43: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HP

Level 8: Assault
A: Invention: Endurance Reduction

Level 10: Temporal Selection
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 12: Protector Bots
A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen13: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance13: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge17: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 14: Maneuvers
A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed37: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance39: Gift of the Ancients: Defense/Endurance

A: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage39: Neuronic Shutdown: Chance of Damage(Psionic)40: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance of Damage(Psionic)40: Gladiator's Net: Chance of Damage(Lethal)42: Impeded Swiftness: Chance of Damage(Smashing)43: Ice Mistral's Torment: Chance for Cold Damage

Level 18: Tactics
A: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance34: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff36: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 20: Hasten
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction21: Invention: Recharge Reduction

A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage23: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance23: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge27: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Endurance27: Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build Up33: Overwhelming Force: Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 24: Farsight
A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed25: Gift of the Ancients: Defense25: Gift of the Ancients: Defense/Increased Run Speed

Level 26: Upgrade Robot
A: Miracle: Heal37: Miracle: Heal/Endurance40: Miracle: Heal/Recharge45: Miracle: +Recovery

Level 28: Slowed Response
A: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff29: Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Damage29: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage36: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 30: Chrono Shift
A: Efficacy Adaptor: EndMod/Recharge31: Performance Shifter: EndMod/Recharge31: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge31: Preemptive Optimization: EndMod/Recharge

Level 32: Maintenance Drone
A: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Endurance39: Doctored Wounds: Heal/Recharge42: Doctored Wounds: Endurance/Recharge43: Doctored Wounds: Recharge45: Doctored Wounds: Heal

Level 35: Hover

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

Level 41: Power Boost
A: Invention: Recharge Reduction42: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 44: Air Superiority
A: Invention: Damage Increase

Level 47: Group Fly
A: Invention: Endurance Reduction48: Invention: Endurance Reduction50: Hypersonic: Flying / Increased Fly Protection

Level 49: Vengeance

Inherents:

Level 1: Supremacy

Level 1: Brawl
(Empty)

Level 1: Sprint
A: Unbounded Leap: +Stealth

Level 2: Rest
(Empty)

Level 1: Swift
A: Invention: Run Speed

Level 1: Hurdle
A: Invention: Jumping

Level 1: Health
A: Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance9: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery

Level 1: Stamina
A: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End7: Performance Shifter: EndMod9: Invention: Endurance Modification

Level 1: Battle Drone

Level 12: Protector Bot

Chronogear - Mastermind (Robotics - Time Manipulation).mbd 42.23 kB · 0 downloads

Just so you know, Power Boost from Mace epic pool boosts Farsight significantly. Its actually fairly easy to softcap DEF with a time MM, but especially a Robots/Time MM.  FYI and such. So if you have Power Boost you might have even more slots to spare. 

• Microphone 1

• Chashak changed the title to How to slot my Bots/Time?

That's good to know, thanks! According to Mids a Power Boost on top my current slotting will take me to ~20%, and combined with protector bot shields and (eventually) support incarnates I should even be able to relegate maneuvers to a LotG mule. Even without incarnates or power boost yet, both myself and by bots feel very tanky already (especially with the -tohit toggle)

I've never built a character before where I've gotten all of the slots I felt I needed, and still had so many left over 😂

The main constraint seems to be the pets, I'd gladly slot 7+ enhancements in those if I could, but alas...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not crazy about these choices.

I'm 50/50 on not liking the %BuildUp in the T3. I can somewhat understand it, but I find it works so much better in the T1. A couple of anecdotes:

• I see it firing all-the-time on each of the T1s, so I guess it will do similarly on the T3
  • The combined T3s appear to equal or slightly exceed the damage output of the T1 when I am fighting multiple Giant Monsters. (Paladins, the Grim Vale)

I don't like adding the OF piece in any of the Robotic henchmen. There will occasionally still be some knockback, but it is simply not worth fretting about. If you played Robotics before the recent Homecoming updates, slotting for Knockdown was crucial. Now it isn't that important.

I think I see what you are trying to do with Distortion Field, but I would not go all-in on %damage. (it is an endurance hog) IIRC it is a pseudo-pet, so the reliable %damage will be on cast, after that I expect the %proc rates to be mediocre, especially without some accuracy slotting... I mean, you can go with your slotting, but I'd also test with something like:

(A) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Hold: Level 50+5
 (*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 50+5
 (*) Gladiator's Net - Chance for Damage (Lethal)
 (*) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Damage (Smashing)

I happen to like the 3x bonus from Gladiator's Net, but there are a lot of good set bonuses to be had from Hold sets. On my /Time Corruptor I slotted Distortion Field as

(A) Pacing of the Turtle – Endurance/Recharge/Slow: Level 50+5
 (*) Superior Entomb - Endurance/Recharge

The lack of %damage in my slotting makes me think I must have tested it for %damage and saw it was not worth it. Don't fall into a trap thinking that the MM will be a solid source of damage, that is what the henchmen are for. For MM, I add %-resistance before I add %damage, unless it is part of a set.

Here are some of the other /Time powers from my Corruptor, and how I slotted them, maybe they will offer some ideas?

Spoiler

Level 1:        Time Crawl    
 (A) Pacing of the Turtle - Accuracy/Endurance
 (*) Pacing of the Turtle - Accuracy/Slow
 (*) Ice Mistral’s Torment - Chance for Damage (Cold)
 (*) Impeded Swiftness - Chance for Damage (Smashing)

Level 4:        Time's Juncture    
 (A) HamiO:Enzyme Exposure (Endurance/Defense Debuff/ToHit Debuff): Level 53
 (*) HamiO:Enzyme Exposure (Endurance/Defense Debuff/ToHit Debuff): Level 53

Level 6:        Temporal Mending    
 (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
 (*) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
 (*) Preventive Medicine - Heal
 (*) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
 (*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
 (*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

Level 24:    Farsight    
 (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed
 (*) HamiO:Membrane Exposure (Endurance/ToHit Buff/Defense Buff): Level 53
 (*) HamiO:Membrane Exposure (Endurance/ToHit Buff/Defense Buff): Level 53
 (*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance
 (*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance

Level 16:    Distortion Field    
 (A) Pacing of the Turtle – Endurance/Recharge/Slow: Level 50+5
 (*) Superior Entomb - Endurance/Recharge

Level 28:    Slowed Response    
 (A) Analyze Weakness - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5
 (*) Analyze Weakness - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5
 (*) Shield Breaker - Chance for Damage (Lethal)
 (*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Damage (Negative Energy)

Level 30:    Chrono Shift    
 (A) Doctored Wounds - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5
 (*) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5
 (*) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like only S/L/E will be at softcap 100% of the time. Power Boost lasts for 15 secs. On your build, will be around 50% of the time (PB with a 30 sec rech, 50% uptime/downtime).

Mids' shows PB boosting Protector Bot shields, which I do not think it does... At the same time, I think Protector shield buffs is +13% def, while Mids' only shows +7.5%.

It looks like the build will have around +40% def to F/C/N/P/M/R/A. Around +55% def to S/L/E (Scorpion Shield). Pets will be at around +34% def to everything.

I would probably drop the Mace Mastery Pool for Murky Cloud, Charged Armor or Dark Embrace. Pick up Tough and Weave. Add in Steadfast and Gladiator Armor for +6% def. Add back the pet defense auras. You could hit softcap to eveything and add a bunch of +damage res. Get pets to around +41% def to everything. Can probably softcap them if the Protector Bots are enhanced a bit with +def.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, StrikerFox said:

It looks like only S/L/E will be at softcap 100% of the time. Power Boost lasts for 15 secs. On your build, will be around 50% of the time (PB with a 30 sec rech, 50% uptime/downtime).

Mids' shows PB boosting Protector Bot shields, which I do not think it does... At the same time, I think Protector shield buffs is +13% def, while Mids' only shows +7.5%.

It looks like the build will have around +40% def to F/C/N/P/M/R/A. Around +55% def to S/L/E (Scorpion Shield). Pets will be at around +34% def to everything.

Power Boost (and Radial Clarion) buffs all defence powers whilst it's active. That means toggles and auto powers only get the buff for the duration of the Power Boost; but if you activate a long-duration click power which boosts defence (and that power does not have the "Ignores External Strength Boosts" flag) then it will also be affected and gain the buff until the clicky  itself expires.
"Farsight" is one such power, meaning you can have Power-Boosted Farsighted for the entire duration of Farsight as long as you activate Farsight during Power Boost's buff window. And you can stack that with Radial Clarion as well for superbuffed Farsight; although doing so would be complete overkill on a character with Bots/ shields.

As-is, with regular Powerboosted Farsight the character will be sitting on 45.85% Defence to all according to MIDs, which is wrong, because Mids always get s PB shield value wrong. It's actually at 51.38%! The pets will only be on 37.18%... but the two +5% Def aura IOs aren't taken which would push that to softcap.
With Radial Clarion and Powerboosted Farsight; add another 7.5% Defence to all that; so the MM would be on 58.88% and the pets on 44.68%.

Edited by Maelwys
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, tidge said:

I don't like adding the OF piece in any of the Robotic henchmen. There will occasionally still be some knockback, but it is simply not worth fretting about. If you played Robotics before the recent Homecoming updates, slotting for Knockdown was crucial. Now it isn't that important.

I think I see what you are trying to do with Distortion Field, but I would not go all-in on %damage. (it is an endurance hog) IIRC it is a pseudo-pet, so the reliable %damage will be on cast, after that I expect the %proc rates to be mediocre, especially without some accuracy slotting... 

Assbot is the only one that actually needs KB>KD these days. The regular swarm missiles still inflict KB, and that's annoying since it'll knock foes out of the burn patches that the incendiary swarm missiles spawn... I typically stick the OF piece in there because as it adds a bit of damage% it's a smidge better than the Sudden Acceleration piece.
Explosive Strike damage procs are 100% worth getting in the pets though - Drones get a hefty ST damage boost; and the Assbot's AoE spike damage gets noticeably better. Protector Bots only gain a little benefit so can be skipped if needed.

I agree with Tidge here that Distortion Field isn't worth Proccing unless you have slots going spare (and even then, the two "Slow" ones should activate substantially more than the "Hold" set ones... IIRC the one that can sometimes make a difference is the Lockdown 'Chance for Hold' but even there it's skippable) so I'd probably try and bump the movement debuff slow effect up a bit instead and reduce the endurance cost. Slowed Response is definitely worth sticking a few damage procs into though; and proc accuracy isn't a huge concern due to the amount of +ToHit buffs and Defence debuffs that Time flings out.

FWIW I don't think the bulk of the OP's build is that bad - but if it was me I'd tweak the pet slotting a bit.
Personally the last time I rejigged my Bots/Time this is what I came up with:
zMastermind - Robots - Time.mbd
In this one the MM is at ~55.9% Def to all and the Pets are at ~57.3%. So a smidge under the Incarnate Softcap; which is typically made up for by Time's Juncture or teammate buffs... (if you really want you could swap the LOTG globals in Protector Bots and Combat Jumping for regular 50+5 Defence IOs and swap the +Rech/EndRed/Def in Maneuvers to a pure +Def, which should just about be enough to tip you over. But I'd much rather have the extra Global Recharge!)

Edited by Maelwys

Posted (edited)

I use Power Boost on my /Time Corruptor, it is one of those things where I end up juggling its use. IIRC I think I keep Farsight on auto trigger. Because of the inherent recharge differences between Farsight (240 sec) and Power Boost (120 sec) I don't think you would need more than the base slot in Power Boost. The main (and only) thing I can think of working against the selection of Power Boost at all (for the MM) is comes from this sort of thinking:

• Power Boost can be chosen at 41 or later
  • The primary, most reliable, use (from my PoV) would be to boost Farsight (for Defense, but that isn't the only thing)
  • It will be possible to have incarnate Barrier, which will work down to level 45, and I'm not sure there will be a "better" choice than Barrier.

So if Destiny=Barrier, there is a somewhat narrow range where the Power Boost + Farsight would be bringing the most benefit. Obviously a different Destiny power could be chosen. While leveling of course Destiny slots won't be available!

I don't use much from Mace Mastery on my MM, but it is a Traps secondary not Time. I think it would be too hard to try to time the benefits of Power Boost with Traps. The Web Envelope seemed like a good idea but the set bonuses were IMO inferior and it wasn't helping me keep aggro/debuff and the KD in Mace Beam Volley is a reasonable soft control.

Spoiler

Level 35:              Scorpion Shield

(A) Reactive Defenses - Defense

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance

(*) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 38:              Mace Beam Volley         

(A) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Annihilation - Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff

I have a classic set of powers from the Fighting pool as end-build powers in my MM: Tough is slotted with 4 Globals plus a 2-piece set bonus from Unbreakable guard for Endurance discount. Weave is a LotG Mule.

Edited by tidge

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tidge said:

I'm not sure there will be a "better" choice than Barrier.

Clarion Radial Destiny is the one that buffs secondary effects (like Farsight's Defence) and the Mez Protection comes in handy too.

A more powerful Farsight is not always needed (and certainly not on Bots/ ) but it can make the difference between Farsight buffing you and your pets defense by ~28.3% (Clarion + Power Boost + Farsight) compared to ~20.8% (Power Boost + Farsight) or the regular ~14.7% (just Farsight). So Maneuvers plus Pet Aura IOs and Clarion + PB + Farsight is essentially "Softcapped Pets" regardless of your primary; which is exceptionally useful on sets like Demons and Necro.

(I use the combo on my Illusion/Time Controller as well - which doesn't even need Maneuvers to softcap everything due to Group Invisibility also stacking with PB/Clarion...)

Edited by Maelwys

This is all very helpful, and a lot to think about. I've been breaking down the defense numbers myself (since Mids reports the FF from protection bots wrong, and applies power boost in unrealistic ways) and I think I've found a good solution.

Without Incarnates:

• With my current slotting a power-boosted Farsight alone provides 20.8% Defense
  • Even unslotted the FF from the Protection Bots provides another 13% Defense
    • With a 50+5 IO the defense goes up to 17%
  • With my slotting Maneuvers, Combat Jumping, and Hover grant 4%, 3.5%, and 2.6% respectively
  • Combined, this brings me to ~48% personal Defense and ~42% pet Defense, without touching Incarnates!
  • Time's Juncture provides -15% ToHit, bringing effective Defense against foes in melee to ~63% and ~57%, respectively.

With Incarnates:

• For Hybrid, Support Core brings Defense up to ~50% for myself and my pets while active (54% if prot bot is slotted)
  • For Destiny, things are less clear-cut but the choice is between Barrier Core and Clarion Radial (using the latter to boost Farsight)
    • Either is overkill on Defense at this point, so I'm focusing instead on their secondary effects
    • Barrier - provides extra Resistance to help absorb any blows that get through
    • Clarion - provides extra Mez Protection, and the +ToHit from Farsight is boosted as well to a ridiculous degree
      • If +ToHit is covered, I could even drop Tactics altogether and free up a power slot (strange to even be considering this)
      • With double-boosted Farsight my Defense becomes 55.6% without Support Core and 61.6% with it (pets are 49.5% w/o Support Core)

I don't know how much of this is overkill or just the thrill of "big number go up", but this has been a blast to theory-craft so far.

I also haven't addressed Distortion Field yet - I already have the procs from another character so I'd like to play around with that for a while before I decide if it's worth it. If that gets pared down then I'll still have slots to spare.

Chronogear (revised) - Mastermind (Robotics - Time Manipulation).mbd

• Thumbs Up 1

I think those pre-incarnate Defense values look pretty good. I have a similar sort of pre-incarnate thing going on with my Bots/Traps:

• FFG is a great source of +Defense, occasionally it wanders off, gets knocked away, and it needs to be renewed.
  • The Henchmen benefit from the Aura pieces, while they are close
  • The Protector Bots are somewhat inconsistent with their Defense buff.
  • The Protector Bots and their Seeker Drones (-ToHit) are somewhat inconsistent.

Personally: I'm always running Maneuvers, occasionally Hover, almost never Weave. The end result is sometimes I am way above the Incarnate "soft cap", sometimes not, before Incarnate powers.

The regular content I run into that causes me to be thankful for high defenses are:

• Enemies which debuff defenses.

Robots can be slow-ish against single targets, so a cascading defense failure is one of those things to look out for... I suspect that with multiple ways to Heal the Robots you will get a sense when it is time to let them crash and simply resummon them.

• "auto-hit" powers

If the auto-hit powers aren't doing lots of damage, it is less of a big deal if the entire squad gets hit with them when followup attacks aren't hitting them.

• Microphone 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tidge said:

cascading defense failure is one of those things to look out for

100% this.
Personally I ballpark ~14% over the Defence softcap (2x hits with a Broadsword) as enough to ignore most cases of cascading defence failure; and reduce that appropriately for whatever amount of Defence Debuff resistance you have. AoE DDR is attainable via things like Ageless Radial Destiny if you really want it; but I'd usually opt for Barrier instead. And if it's difficult for you to overslot Defence by 14%; just carry a Purple Insp or two (the "Medium Team Purples" in a MM's case) as "backups".

I'll also say that whilst relying on ToHit debuffs (e.g. Time's Juncture) so shore up your defence is doable... you need to account for the Purple Patch and Archvillain Resistance.
The short version is to multiply ToHit debuffs by 0.65 in regular content (assume that you're fighting things that are +3 to you) and treat them as next to useless versus AVs.

Edited by Maelwys
  • Like 1

+1 on ToHit Debuffs. There are times when Robots will be facing a particularly hard target and they last a lot longer than they have any right to, I'll put this down to -ToHit... but otherwise it is one of those game effects that is generally only helping a player while the debuffed enemy is actually trying to attack. An enemy pining for the fjords has reached maximum debuff!

• Like 1