The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Best set-it-and-forget-it Defender

tribunaltd

I am multi-boxing at times and want to add my final option (3rd toon) as a support character.  Right now, I have a Stone/Ice Tanker (my first toon ever back in the day and I loved it so recreated it), and an Electric/Dark Blaster.  They are doing fine in my playstyle, just wanting to add a support character to help.

I am not good at doing all the key mappings and such.  I use visual FX and just depend on controlling each toon by directly clicking powers.  

Which Defender is best for being the most effective with the lowest amount of attention?  Or is there another class that is better for this?  I know there are debates over whether healing is better than buffs/debuffs.  I don't mind either strategy, I just need one that involves the least amount of attention, like a class that has a lot of toggles instead of pops.  

I am a casual player who is just doing storyline missions when I box, so I'm not farming or doing anything special...just plain old grinding missions/levels.

Thank you!

Maybe a VEAT? All their double leadership toggles would bring awesome acc, to hit, damage, and defense plus a massive def boost if you go widow and put mind link on auto. As a bonus they are stealthy and tough so they shouldn't attract much attention and they'll be formidable enough to soak up some AOE damage without eating dirt.

Otherwise, unfortunately I think most of the good buffs you'd want are click powers. Maybe run a Nature behind you with Overgrowth on auto? Or a FF or Sonic Def with their big bubble toggle running and one of the buff bubbles on auto?

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

FF / Bots MM or FF / Water Defender.

• Thumbs Up 2

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tribunaltd said:

I am multi-boxing at times and want to add my final option (3rd toon) as a support character.  Right now, I have a Stone/Ice Tanker (my first toon ever back in the day and I loved it so recreated it), and an Electric/Dark Blaster.  They are doing fine in my playstyle, just wanting to add a support character to help.

Which Defender is best for being the most effective with the lowest amount of attention? 

Given that the Tanker will like getting heals and capped defences, and neither them nor the Blaster has much in the way of CC or Buffs/Debuffs... I'd probably go for a Time Manipulation toon.
Toggle Time's Juncture on, and autofollow the Blaster. Then tap Farsight every two minutes (use Power Boost right beforehand if possible), Temporal Selection every minute (alternate between Tank and Blaster) and if/when things need healed tap Temporal Mending (or just leave it on constant autofire). Chrono Shift can either be used every time it's up or just saved for tricky fights (lasts for 90 seconds and can be perma with sufficient investment). Its other clickies like Time Crawl, Slowed Response and Distortion Field will be less relevant but can be used if needed for boss-killing.
Almost any support AT would do; but I'd probably lean towards either a Robotics/Time Mastermind or an Earth/Time Controller.
The Earth Controller would let you solidly lock down foes and its pet can "Tank" if you go up against multiple AVs or fight something that cuts through defence.
The Mastermind's pets would be very low maintenance (they self-heal and with Farsight plus Protector Bot Bubbles they'd be very easy to softcap) and stay at range.

If that's still too much clicking, a Cold Domination or Forcefield toon would probably be the next-best thing and only require tapping two buttons once every four minutes. Take the Leadership and Sorcery and Medicine Pools; toggle on Assault/Maneuvers/Tactics and Spirit Ward. Tap your two +Defence bubbles once every 4 minutes, and use Aid Other if needed. Also make sure to stick a Panacea proc in Spirit Ward - it'll affect the target rather than you which should help a smidge. FF gets built-in mez protection and a self-defence boost and its Bubble defence buffs can be greatly increased via Power Boost and/or Radial Clarion Destiny... whereas Cold's Bubble defence buffs are not power-boostable but it gets far better debuffs and will utterly neuter AVs. Pick your poison! (but seriously, don't make a /Poison...)

Edited by Maelwys

Thanks all, appreciate the input. I went with FF/Water. I wanted to try MM but I've read their pets can struggle at endgame. I probably won't be doing any endgame but I'm just used to making choices that favor it in case. I also wanted Empathy because I like more traditional healing but targeting quickly in boxing is not my strong suit.  

• Thumbs Up 1

You could do something similar with Sonic (shields every 4 min plus Dispersion) with the added benefit of also running Disruption Field on the tank.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller