Character select/moving characters around (aka "too many characters")

Posted (edited)

I definitely have too many characters.  But I'm sure that I'm not the only one!  However, I think I hit some sort of weird soft cap.  I'm around 129-130 characters now.  I have a crapload of level 50s that I don't play (or very rarely play) so I typically move them a few pages back and just have the first 3 or 4 pages devoted to my current works in progress.  Recently, I have started to have issues with doing this though.  When I drag a character from page 1/slot 2 and drop him on an empty spot on page 6/slot 5, everything looks ok... until the next time I visit the character select screen.  Then he's back on page 1/slot 2 as though I never moved him.  Has anyone else run into this or have any suggestions? (other than "delete characters" which I have tried a couple of deletes on but I don't think that is overall the best approach)

Edited by Crowe

• Crowe changed the title to Character select/moving characters around (aka "too many characters")

Check to see what your playerslot.txt is writeable, found at

Homecoming/accounts/<AccountName>

That's where your sorted stuff is stored.  I think you have to visit each server and page to fully populate it though.

25 minutes ago, lemming said:

Check to see what your playerslot.txt is writeable, found at

Homecoming/accounts/<AccountName>

That's where your sorted stuff is stored.  I think you have to visit each server and page to fully populate it though.

It is.  I guess my best bet is to just manually edit this file.  Clunky but it should work!

• City Council

I wrote a tool for this a while back which might be easier to use than manually editing the file.

https://cityofheroes.dev/charsorter/charsorter.zip

Point it to the *base* folder of your game install (The folder that contains the "accounts" folder), then you can select your account name (if multiple), and server.

Drag and drop your characters around as desired, then hit "Save".

Bonus note, this will also correct any index collisions which may be the root cause for missing characters when renaming.

• Like 3