Where does HC come down on historical characters in AE/MA?

Glad to hear this from GM Crumpet, it seems my League of Lincolns and Legion of Lincolns are safe, good and evil versions respectively, all from parallel universes where Lincoln didn't die, but other strange events happened instead. My concept for them is "Too Many Lincolns", I need to make an AE story of it sometime, something something too many, something something temporal paradox incoming. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What, me worry?

Really the safest bet is to stay away from historical figures and use generic npcs with messily similar names. it avoids the legal entanglements because parody is protected and keeps the game safe since theyre legally covered by virtue of no no its not the same just similar is a perfectly valid legality

there are some leeways for characters in the public domain such as dracula or a certain detective but even then a bit of caution should be warranted  and vary it up a bit to insure someone doesnt get a bit upset about it

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

• Game Master
11 hours ago, momentarygrace said:

April 2020.

In order to provide full disclosure, the character's original name was Nurse Rona, which was genericed because (I assume) of coronavirus. I shrugged and thought, okay, and named her Florence Knightingale using the Knight spelling to emphasize a quality. She was intended as a tribute character to honor the medical profession who were absolutely going down in history as real heroes as they should. The second knock took me entirely by surprise and I appealed it, to be told "that's a real person".

On her third renaming I just used Heroic Anonymous and more or less gritted my teeth and remade her same costume - medical, with a mask - and kept her bio. But yeah, it did leave a sour taste.

ha2.png

was it a different account? I can't find any trace in our history and the only one on your account is Nurse Rona. Which you correctly assumed was because of coronavirus.

There were a plethora of alts with a variation of that and it was deemed insensitive with the number of people suffering from it. I myself spent 3 weeks in hospital being pumped full of drugs on an oxygen machine until my body finally cleared it. For some of us it wasn't a happy time.

2 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

was it a different account? I can't find any trace in our history and the only one on your account is Nurse Rona. Which you correctly assumed was because of coronavirus.

There were a plethora of alts with a variation of that and it was deemed insensitive with the number of people suffering from it. I myself spent 3 weeks in hospital being pumped full of drugs on an oxygen machine until my body finally cleared it. For some of us it wasn't a happy time.

I'll dm you the support ticket.

Read the whole thread for Florence.

Edited by momentarygrace
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:01 PM, momentarygrace said:

I'll dm you the support ticket.

Read the whole thread for Florence.

...and the end of the story...

After sharing my woeful tale (and support ticket & replies) with GM Crumpet, it was discovered that the fella that told me my re-naming of my nurse to Florence Knightingale (deliberate misspelling) was because 'it was a real person' was.... mistaken. That's apparently what they thought but after several messages and some checking, it turns out my new chosen name was one character too long! (Which is why I saw a Florence Nightingale recently, the K pushed it over the limit!)

So misinformation dispelled, I dropped the Florence, and my heroic nurse mastermind no longer has an unhappy cloud over her.

Crumpets are my new favorite pastry, sorry poptarts!!! 😼

Screenshot 2024-08-22 075323.png

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1