CoH difficulty

Seed22

I don’t think it’s too hard or too easy. A blind monkey can play the game on lowest difficulty, and the hardest difficulty just takes basic game knowledge and preparation.

My only observation is that the difficulty seems to vary according to enemy or TF type. They are not all equal even on the same setting, and the difficulty seems to jump a bit from say +3 to +4.

But no, not too difficult either. Other games are far more challenging. So as far as the too easy vs too hard, I think it’s pretty good. It’s just the in between and context that’s bumpy.

As has been said several times, the game is as difficult as you can make it.  I play when I can play, sometimes that's maybe an hour max and sometimes I get to clock real long time.  Either way, when I play I want enjoyment,  first then challenge.  If I am not enjoying the mission, the content or simply that moment, I step back.  Grinding +4 enemies solo takes forever and is like boring, challenge or not.  Yet even on lowest difficulty settings, some characters I have are challenged yet I am finding enjoyment.

And that is what I think is the miracle of this game.  The very fact that so many different people with different play styles and power arrangements and yada yada, can play the same content and have a different experience than the person next to them is amazing.  The game should not be altered at a fundamental level to be harder or more challenging but if you can broaden the ability to customize difficulty, that is awesome.  The devs seem to get this, regardless of minor quibbles with X or Y.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

So I played on Live not since the beginning but pretty close. When I started, street sweeping was a thing, everybody was still hitting the Hollows on the way up, we did suicide runs to the Icon in Steel for costume fixes at single digit levels. I later played several other MMOs including Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars, Champions (briefly, when CoH went down), Secret World, WoW (briefly) and some others I can't remember. CoH was my first and one true MMO love.

My spouse started playing around the same time as me, and we were both excited as fruck when Homecoming came into being, logging on over and over on when the new, first server sputtered to unreliable life.

I play more than her, I work from home, she doesn't, and I have a fraction more patience with it.

She mostly gets on to bash stuff as a tension reliever. I try to help her with little tips and tricks I've picked up on the forums or through trial and error, and she thinks I'm a genius and should write beginners guides. I'm not and I shouldn't. I'm scraping by, but I have fun at my level and it makes me happy.

Min-maxing is over my head. When people start talking (in text) about builds and re-speccing and so on, my eyes glaze over. I dabble in IO set bonuses and I do mean dabble, or maybe dribble. I poke at procs like a cat encountering a crumpled piece of wrapping paper or an unusual spider. I'm still happy.

I mostly play solo, but I do occasionally answer a call in LFG for GMs or events or even more rarely, a TF or SF. I always worry a little when I do that my team or league mates may notice or think my ability to play is lame but I haven't had anyone say so to my face yet. 

I think for some players, the game might be 'easy', for me sometimes it occurs as 'hard', but I still enjoy it. When a mission or a boss is hard, I die and do it again. If I die too many times for it to be fun any more, I either get wife to help, auto-complete the mish and keep going, or out-level it and come back later. 

I never run out of things to do, things to tweak and learn, and I would cry moar if it were to be taken from me.

I'm not sure I answered the OPs question. ^^;;; 

Some of it's too hard, some too easy and it's exactly just right except when it isn't, but then better than any alternative in existence. *^^*

avengemee.gif

• Like 1