How does Radiation Siphon work?

Hopeling

It's an ST melee attack, which heals if the target is contaminated. Sure, okay.

All tanker ST attacks are listed as AoEs due to Gauntlet, sure, okay. Target cap is 5, radius depends on the power.

But Radiation Siphon is a 10-foot-radius, 16-target (???) AoE. I put Theft of Essence in it and it singlehandedly solved my endurance problems because it procs multiple times on every use. Does it taunt 16 targets? Is the siphon effect somehow hitting other enemies?

Maybe the 10-foot/16-target thing is the reach of the Contaminated proc? I do know that you aren't doing a full Rad Siphon attack to more than one enemy, so it isn't that. But I believe if you punch a Contaminated enemy with Rad Siphon it will cause the normal small burst of damage before consuming the Contaminated effect (though I could be wrong about that). That may be what the 10-ft radius thing is.

I don't think Contaminated procs taunt enemies beyond what you are getting from so-called punchvoke, but this is difficult to test (due to the difficulty of isolating it from punchvoke), so I can't say that for sure.

Not an expert at Radiation Melee (have a Rad Melee Brute, but I haven't tried slotting the ToE proc in Rad Siphon), but what strikes me when looking at the power in City of Data:

Radius: 10 ft

Max Targets: 16

Splash damage radius: 8 ft (only if the target has Contamination)

taunt radius: 10 ft

My interpretation (guess) is:

* When the power is used, it will affect up to 16 total targets, the primary target, and 15 others.

* Targets within the 8 ft radius will be taunted (always) and damaged (if contaminated)

* Targets between 8 ft and 10 ft away will only be taunted (always)

I don't believe there is a way to define a power to have different target caps for different effects, so the splash damage would hit far more targets than, say a Brute (capped at 5).

I also don't think that procs discriminate on what part of a power triggers them, only if they're slotted. One way to test this would be to put a damage proc (like Mako's Bite) in a single target ability (like KO Blow) and see if it procs off Gauntlet. My guess is it would.

So I can't say for certain, but it looks if ToE should be able to proc up to 16x when using Radiation Siphon on a target that isn't contaminated.

I have rarely seen Theft of Essence proc more than once on use, and never seen it hit more than three targets at once (and never more than half the available targets at that). Most time I get it to cover the cost of using Radiation Siphon.

All tanker ST attacks are listed as AoEs due to Gauntlet, sure, okay. Target cap is 5, radius depends on the power.

But Radiation Siphon is a 10-foot-radius, 16-target (???) AoE. I put Theft of Essence in it and it singlehandedly solved my endurance problems because it procs multiple times on every use. Does it taunt 16 targets? Is the siphon effect somehow hitting other enemies?

I believe all of the Radiation Melee powers are listed as AOE due to the Contamination effect. My guess here is that the siphon effect has a chance to proc off any enemy that receives damage due to Contamination being on your target and it hitting the nearby mobs.

I believe all of the Radiation Melee powers are listed as AOE due to the Contamination effect. My guess here is that the siphon effect has a chance to proc off any enemy that receives damage due to Contamination being on your target and it hitting the nearby mobs.

Yes, it does. Reported that here. What I cannot figure out is how Hopeling is getting enough procs to sustain endurance with it, because I certainly never have. When it goes off for me it usually pays back the cost of using Radiation Siphon and sometimes I may get that two or three times that amount.

I suppose if I had it slotted for recharge and it cycles more often. . . .

I mean, I'm not getting 100 endurance on every use or anything, but it almost always pays for itself, and double and triple procs seem to be pretty common when I'm surrounded. Occasionally I've gone from half to full.

Radiation Siphon has a 10s recharge and a 2.23s activation, and the Theft of Essence proc is 3.5 PPM. With a 10ft radius, its Areafactor is 1+0.75*0.15*10=2.125, so with no recharge slotting, the proc chance per target should be (10+2.23)(3.5/60)/2.125=34%. If you slot it to bring the recharge down to 6s, that's (6+2.23)(3.5/60)/2.125=23%. These are per target, so with 10+ targets, multiple procs should be the norm.