Tips for Brute Rage

Daramar

Had a 2 50's back in the day. DM/Regen scrapper and SS/Inv Tank. Was working on a Fire/Fire brute that ended up tanking more than DPS in LFG.

Now that I'm back I have super limited game time (work/kids) so want a ++survivable/damage scrapper for 90% solo...so a Brute it is.

I have about 13 different Brute alts in the 2 weeks I've been back :) but all my builds have the same issue...I can't get my Rage bar above 70%.

Really came home last night running an Electric/Electric brute. Clearing the main large room at the end of a warehouse...in 13 minutes straight of fighting,

running from mob to mob, smallest mob had 2 baddies, largest mob had 5. My Rage bar never got above 2/3.

I understand Brutes in theory can do more damage due to higher damage cap with Rage.

Here is what I know about Rage: hit stuff/get hit, rinse/repeat. But if I can't get to the damage cap I might as well re-roll all my toons as scrappers since they already are at max damage with out Rage.

Had a 2 50's back in the day. DM/Regen scrapper and SS/Inv Tank. Was working on a Fire/Fire brute that ended up tanking more than DPS in LFG.

Now that I'm back I have super limited game time (work/kids) so want a ++survivable/damage scrapper for 90% solo...so a Brute it is.

I have about 13 different Brute alts in the 2 weeks I've been back :) but all my builds have the same issue...I can't get my Rage bar above 70%.

Really came home last night running an Electric/Electric brute. Clearing the main large room at the end of a warehouse...in 13 minutes straight of fighting,

running from mob to mob, smallest mob had 2 baddies, largest mob had 5. My Rage bar never got above 2/3.

I understand Brutes in theory can do more damage due to higher damage cap with Rage.

Here is what I know about Rage: hit stuff/get hit, rinse/repeat. But if I can't get to the damage cap I might as well re-roll all my toons as scrappers since they already are at max damage with out Rage.

You can increase the number of enemies in a mission by selecting an artificial number of players through the Set Notoriety function at the bottom right of your chat window (from x1 to x8).  Adding more enemies to the missions you run will significantly increase your fury generation.  You can also alter the level from -1 to +4, allowing you to tailor the missions to the right challenge for your capabilities.  More enemies at a lower level can be higher experience for your time spent.

You can also invest in the Brute ATO "Brute's Fury: Recharge/Fury Bonus" and slot it into an attack to give the chance to add more fury when using that attack.  If you play a lot of brutes but don't have a lot of inf to spend, you can just get a few unslotters and move it around between multiple characters (via emailing it to your @name in game) when you need to or want to instead of rebuying it over and over.

Playing solo you're probably going to have a similar experience with a Brute or a Scrapper once you are comfortable managing your fury.  If you aren't building for teams or with set IO's to bring your resists to higher levels than scrapper caps (Brutes go to 90%, Scrappers go to 75%) then you might consider playing a scrapper instead.  If you are playing an armor set that includes high amounts of regen or percentage based healing, Brutes might be the better choice with their higher hit points, although this margin isn't all that big without specific enhancement.  Power proliferation has given many of the same sets to these two AT's, but there are still some that aren't available on both, so that is something to keep in mind as well; you can't play a Super Strength scrapper or a Ninjitsu brute.