How much Def/Resists?

Wintervoid

So I am working on my Elec/Psi Dom, and I think I have the build down (Not in front of me, so mainly numbers will be from memory)

I started just building for Capped Ranged, but I ended up Capped Ranged, AoE and all positionals but Smashing Lethal.  From memory, S/L is around 35% and Melee is 35ish as well.  Resists are 45-50% in S/L and a small amount in toxic, although I would say that is my real vulnerable point.

My question is how important is S/L defense.  I see most say to focus to cap it, but in order to do that I would lose quite a bit to cap it, ans as is, my worst scenario (besides toxic) is Melee S/L which I should only take about 7-8% damage anyway between Defense and resists.  Everything else should be capped.  Am I missing something here?  And reason I should focus instead on S/L?  As is, I can sacrifice any more recharge for defense and stay perma hastened. 

I focused on Ranged defense because as an Elec/ anything short of an EB in Melee is End Drained pretty quickly and becomes a non issue.  Most damage seems to hit from uncontrolled mobs outside of 10'. 

So, will I regret not maxing out S/L to max out the rest?

If you have Ranged and AoE, you pretty much have all that you need on a Dom and more, because your principal job is to provide 'active defense' to yourself and your team, ie: prevent enemies from attacking you in the first place.

Eh, it's more common than you might think. Longbow & Council Minigunners, the pistol users in Knives of Vengeance, Tanks using Footstomp, there are some big, meaty AoE attacks in this game. The more pertinent issue is this: The really scary attacks tend not to be AoE. Stuns, Holds, Immobilizes, and Recharge debuffs tend to be single-target more often than AoE, but in any case, a Dominator is probably better served itemizing for AoE/Ranged defense than Smashing/Lethal, because it's going to cover a wider variety of attacks you'll want to avoid. That said, Dominator defenses mostly rely on preventing enemies from attacking to begin with.

I play Elec/Elec/Mu.

I have my ranged at about 37% and energy/negative about the same, the rest are lower.

S/L at about 44% resists.

On a team of virtually any size, especially with my Bane buddy, I am capped to the point I may as well be a tank - they cannot hit me at range and by the time I get close, they have no energy.

For me, there is a happy medium of 'good enough' on the Domintors because of how the AT works.

For other ATs, I push to get the cielings.

Dominators, especially Electric, don't need capped Melee or S/L defenses. Ranged is good enough, and AoE is a nice bonus.

The reason is that mobs next to you should be mezzed or drained of Endurance, so you don't need to worry as much about melee attacks, or about melee S/L attacks. Ranged S/L is covered by Ranged defense, so with good enough Ranged D you're good to go.

Dominators, especially Electric, don't need capped Melee or S/L defenses. Ranged is good enough, and AoE is a nice bonus.

The reason is that mobs next to you should be mezzed or drained of Endurance, so you don't need to worry as much about melee attacks, or about melee S/L attacks. Ranged S/L is covered by Ranged defense, so with good enough Ranged D you're good to go.

First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Coyote, that was my mindset.  Thanks for confirming it.

As far as AoE defense, I actually didn't try for AoE, it just kind of happened.  Actually, i started just with Ranged, and with the Winter sets I noticed that most of my type defense was nearing cap (besides S/L and Psi) so I decided to see if I could cap them (Settled on capping with Alpha slot.....figure I will have Alpha by the time I have all the Purples anyway....)  AoE ended up near cap as well, so was pretty easy to just adjust a bit.  Psi is handled by Indomitable will...but not perma like Link Minds/Hasten/Domination.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I sunk a billion into getting it purpled out.  So far at 44 it has been fun and seems reasonably powerful.  Great solo and decent on teams...except when I was teamed with some Vet Level Incarnates.  I felt a bit weak then :P