Eagle's Claw and Critical Strikes Proc

Lazarillo

So as I understand it, Eagle's Claw has a "secret" effect of increasing the user's critical hit rate by some unspecified amount for some unspecified amount of time (given the Tank equivalent raises damage for the duration of about 1 attack, I'd assume the Scrapper crit buff is the same).  The Scrapper ATO Critical Strikes proc also boosts chances of a Critical Hit by 50% for also an unspecified amount of time.  I'm curious, though, how the two effects interact, if at all.  Would this mean it's a waste to stick a Critical Strikes proc into Eagle's Claw, for example?  Or that you'd see something like a guaranteed critical instead?

Assuming it's the latter, I'd imagine launching an Eagle's Claw and then following up with a Dragon's Tail (or against a big target, Crippling Axe Kick) is where the good money is.  If it's the former, I'm kinda stumped.  I suspect Eagle's Claw might still be worth taking, but tips for slotting it (and for MA in general, especially with regards to the ATOs) and using it would be appreciated.

Eagle's Claw's effect is a +33% crit chance for, roughly, one attack that immediately follows it assuming it's queued to immediately fire. There is a precise time to it, but part of the buff is also wasted on the animation time so there's almost no chance of it impacting more than one ability. EC also has a base 15% crit chance against everything on its own.

Critical Strikes is +50% for roughly 3 seconds or so, I believe. Someone may be able to correct me on the exact time, but typically you can fit in 2 or 3 fast animating attacks.

So if you put the ATO into Eagle's Claw and had it proc your next immediate attack a minion would have a 88% crit chance. Against a lieutenant or higher, a 93% crit chance.

With the other passive Scrapper ATO in play, you'd be looking at 90%/97%. With the superior passive ATO, it's 91%/99%.

I think Eagle's Claw is a good spot for the proc in general; procs benefit from longer recharge times, cast times, and a low number of targets. Slapping it in there gives you a pretty high chance for it to activate, and I think the synergy for a near guaranteed follow-up crit makes the power worth taking despite the long animation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't tested it rigorously, but I am running Eagle's Claw - Storm Kick - Crippling Axe Kick - Storm Kick on my MA scrapper with the proc in EC, and in every instance where the proc goes off + I correctly queue SK, it crits.

So, +1 to phocks' numbers.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, nihilii said:

I haven't tested it rigorously, but I am running Eagle's Claw - Storm Kick - Crippling Axe Kick - Storm Kick on my MA scrapper with the proc in EC, and in every instance where the proc goes off + I correctly queue SK, it crits.

So, +1 to phocks' numbers.

Just a special note for Storm Kick, that it has a 5% higher base crit rate, so you can actually wind up above 100% crit chance immediately following a proc with EC.

In that sense, it's might be worth it to queue Axe Kick first, since your best case scenario still gives it that 99% crit chance and the follow up Storm Kick would have a 71% crit chance.

Edited by phocks
  • Thanks 1