Resist Based Dark/Fire Tank - KB Protection Question

marcussmythe

Build attached below.  Ive made every survival focused choice I know how - figuring if I'm going to go tank, one might as well focus on resilience (else play a Brute or Scrapper), save inamuch as Fire Melee is chosen for reasons of fluff and to try to get -enough- damage for enjoyable play (I am aware TW would be more damage.  I already have a TW, and dont want to try to feed it END while playing Dark Armor)

I have a few questions on the below build:

1.)  Can you see any low hanging fruit I've missed in survivability, particularly resist/heal/regen based.  I have de-emphasized DEF based survival, as Dark Armor lacks Defense Debuff Resistance.

2.)  I ended up with a build I was very happy with but somehow overlooked the very minor detail of KB resistance.  😞  Id love some input on where you would slide it into the build with minimum disruption.

3.)  Yes, it went a bit nuts with Nrg resistance.  My perception of late game CoH is that it consists of Energy, Psionic, Toxic, and Smashing/Lethal Damage.  Dark Provides S/L, Psi, and a solid basis of Toxic and Energy which I then leveraged as high as I could get (Radiation with its high energy and toxic resist was also attractive, but I was enamoured of the utterly insane self-heal of Dark Armor, as well as its CC potential).  Do you feel I am overreacting.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Melee
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Scorch -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Fire Sword -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(5), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(7), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Combustion -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(13), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Arm-Acc/Rchg(15), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Arm-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(21), ShlWal-Def(21), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(23), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(23)
Level 18: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A)
Level 20: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 22: Death Shroud -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), ScrDrv-Dam%(27), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(29), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29)
Level 24: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31)
Level 26: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(31), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(33), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(33), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(33), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 28: Fire Sword Circle -- SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(34), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ScrDrv-Dam%(36)
Level 30: Obsidian Shield -- ResDam-I(A)
Level 32: Dark Regeneration -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(37), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(37), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(37), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(39), ThfofEss-+End%(39)
Level 35: Incinerate -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(42)
Level 38: Greater Fire Sword -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Hct-Dam%(43)
Level 41: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 44: Mu Lightning -- Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(A), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Slv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(45), Slv-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Dcm-Build%(46)
Level 47: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), Rgn-Knock%(50)
Level 49: Cloak of Fear -- CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(A), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Pyronic Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Resilient Core Paragon 
Level 50: Cognitive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
------------

Edited by marcussmythe

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Maintaining resistances to this degree already has this as a pretty tight build, but I do think there are a few areas where you could see improvement for minimal investment.

1) KB protection.   Unless you plan to primarily use Clarion destiny to maintain mez protection, you're probably going to want three -KB IOs to cover knockback or else you're going to get flung around a lot.    You'll probably want a Steadfast Protection in one of the armor powers, a Karma in Cloak of Shadows or Combat Jumping and a Blessing of the Zephyr in Combat Jumping.   That will give you 12 points of protection (for comparison, most other tanker primaries with KB protect give 10 points).

2) Panacea +HP/End.  This IO gives you periodic bursts of both healing and endurance and I'd try to work it in alongside the Miracle and Numina uniques.    You may also want to consider the Preventive Medicine chance for +Absorb IO as well.   

3) Force Feedback: change for recharge proc in Kick.   I recommend swapping out Boxing for Kick and putting a Force Feedback there, then just drop it into your attack chain.  

4) Impervious Skin +regen IOs.   These are non-unique so you can slot as many of them as you can fit into your various resistance-based powers and they'll add significant regeneration to your build.   This falls into "nice to have" rather than as essential as the above since Dark Regeneration is so powerful that regeneration isn't as key as it might otherwise be in a different resistance-based build.   

The above changes are probably going to come at the expense of some of your DPS, though you're already over the S/L cap so you potentially move a slot or two from Incinerate without hurting your overall resistance numbers.    I'd also point out that you can get DDR from the Ageless destiny since you mentioned not having it, but I think for this particular build the Defense is more icing on the cake than a main focus so you might be better served going with Rebirth.   

One of the biggest problems you're likely to have with this build is recharge debuffs, since as Resistance build you'll be getting hit with the full brunt of all the secondary effects from attacks.    I'd strongly recommend investing the time to get the Geas of the Kind Ones accolade from Croatoa as a way to reverse this effect since it potentially moves your "I win" button of Dark Regeneration out of your reach.

I also tend to favor Judgments that add to my tankiness in addition to doing damage, so you could consider either Void for -damage or Vorpal for +defense as extra layers to add to your survivability.   

Edited by Justaris
Fixed numbering and added incarnate info

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

2 hours ago, Justaris said:

Maintaining resistances to this degree already has this as a pretty tight build, but I do think there are a few areas where you could see improvement for minimal investment.

1) KB protection.   Unless you plan to primarily use Clarion destiny to maintain mez protection, you're probably going to want three -KB IOs to cover knockback or else you're going to get flung around a lot.    You'll probably want a Steadfast Protection in one of the armor powers, a Karma in Cloak of Shadows or Combat Jumping and a Blessing of the Zephyr in Combat Jumping.   That will give you 12 points of protection (for comparison, most other tanker primaries with KB protect give 10 points).

2) Panacea +HP/End.  This IO gives you periodic bursts of both healing and endurance and I'd try to work it in alongside the Miracle and Numina uniques.    You may also want to consider the Preventive Medicine chance for +Absorb IO as well.   

3) Force Feedback: change for recharge proc in Kick.   I recommend swapping out Boxing for Kick and putting a Force Feedback there, then just drop it into your attack chain.  

4) Impervious Skin +regen IOs.   These are non-unique so you can slot as many of them as you can fit into your various resistance-based powers and they'll add significant regeneration to your build.   This falls into "nice to have" rather than as essential as the above since Dark Regeneration is so powerful that regeneration isn't as key as it might otherwise be in a different resistance-based build.   

The above changes are probably going to come at the expense of some of your DPS, though you're already over the S/L cap so you potentially move a slot or two from Incinerate without hurting your overall resistance numbers.    I'd also point out that you can get DDR from the Ageless destiny since you mentioned not having it, but I think for this particular build the Dfense is more icing on the cake than a main focus so you might be better served going with Rebirth.   

e

One of the biggest problems you're likely to have with this build is recharge debuffs, since as Resistance build you'll be getting hit with the full brunt of all the secondary effects from attacks.    I'd strongly recommend investing the time to get the Geas of the Kind Ones accolade from Croatoa as a way to reverse this effect since it potentially moves your "I win" button of Dark Regeneration out of your reach.

I also tend to favor Judgments that add to my tankiness in addition to doing damage, so you could consider either Void for -damage or Vorpal for +defense as extra layers to add to your survivability.   

Thanks for looking at it, and the feedback!  If you can see any places Ive done the first part of the job (get all the resistance) inefficiently, or left loose change on the floor, let me know!

More specifically and point by point:

1.)  Im aware of the lack of the knockback protection.  One of my specific questions is 'where would you cut slots to add KB Protection?'.

2.)  Ive got both those on my Scrapper, and.. never felt like they gave me much, at least never at a time when I needed it?

3.)  Do you feel a strong need for +Rechg?  Theres already a lot of global rchg in there.

4.)  Hmm.  Thats a good point.  Again, though... what resistance do you give up to get more regen?  Do you think a bit more regen pays for itself, instead of the appropriate resist, when the Incarnate AVs or Lord Recluse is pouring all the damage into that damage type?  And agreed as to Dark Regen - its Dark Regen that has me here instead of newer-better-stronger-faster Resist Sets like Radiation.

5.)  Im not that worried about DPS.  The slotting in my attacks is mostly to feed resistance or recharge, and its breaking that up that I'm looking at with a furrowed brow.

... Recharge debuffs are in fact an issue, but I've not found them all that painful on other characters, once you get to endgame levels of +Rchg.  That said, ive not tanked endgame in many, many years.  And an accolade is always a handy plus 1.

Good call on Incarnates.  I like the -DAM in Void on my Spines/Bio Tank.  The inital choice was fluff based - this character is a compromise between efficiency and concept, its just that 'really crazy survival' is part of the concept.  Ill probably trade around.

I looked at DDR from incarnates?  But my sense of DDR is 'if you dont have nigh immunity, your only slightly delaying the inevitable.  Slightly'.  Ive seen mob groups crush defense capped, Barrier-Incarnate-activated Bioarmor to -100% DEF in a few seconds.  (Banished, Pargon Police Khelds, and Vanguards being the worst offenders here).  Given that, I just dont see the DDR from the Incarnate paying its way on a set that doesnt start out with at least some.

But to my earlier point - I agree that KB protection is necessary, that more regen would be nice, and that more recharge is always desireable.  You are completely correct, you always want more regen, recharge, and the like.  But what would -you- cut for those things?  Which slots, where, do you think are worth giving up, for what you get in exchange?

My intuition is that we start with the Toxic/Psi resists were getting from 6 slot purps.  Thats some free slots, and all they are giving me is Toxic Resist - Im overcapped Psi.  Losing Toxic hurts, but it is rare enough that if I hit a situation where I still want 90% Toxic, well, thats why we have orange candy.  Im much more reluctant to tank Energy, because endgame LOOOOVES massive energy damage.

Edited by marcussmythe

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Here's an idea of how you might move things around.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.1
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), StdPrt-ResKB(39)
Level 1: Scorch -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 2: Fire Sword -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), Krm-ResKB(40)
Level 8: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Combustion -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(13), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Arm-Acc/Rchg(15), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Arm-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(21), ShlWal-Def(21), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(23), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Death Shroud -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), ScrDrv-Dam%(27), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(29), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29)
Level 24: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31)
Level 26: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(31), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(33), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(33), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(33), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 28: Fire Sword Circle -- SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(34), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ScrDrv-Dam%(36)
Level 32: Dark Regeneration -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(37), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(37), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(37), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(39), ThfofEss-+End%(39)
Level 35: Incinerate -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(42)
Level 38: Greater Fire Sword -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Hct-Dam%(43)
Level 41: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 44: Mu Lightning -- Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(A), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Slv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(45), Slv-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Dcm-Build%(46)
Level 47: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), Rgn-Knock%(50)
Level 49: Cloak of Fear -- CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(A), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(9), Prv-Absorb%(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
------------

As I mentioned, I took slots from Incinerate since you were already past the S/L cap.   I also dropped a bit off Fire Sword to give you slots for the Panacea and Preventive Medicine procs.   I swapped one of your LOTG +recharges out for the Karma and added another slot in CJ for the Blessing of the Zephyr and made the swap from Boxing to Kick since it costs you nothing and gives back some of the recharge we lose from giving up the LOTG and the Crushing Impact bonus.  

As far as the regen question, while it's a low hanging fruit item, it's also more a 'nice to have' as I said before and I'm not sure there's anything further to sacrifice here that really justifies their inclusion, so in this version I've left them off.   I decided against dropping your Toxic resistances since while you're over cap in Psi you're not in Toxic and there is a fair amount of Toxic damage late game that you'll want that resistance for.   I was also able to get you a bit more Energy resistance with Touch of Death 2-slots in Scorch and Fire Sword without giving up any of the other changes.   

On the subject of Preventive and Panacea, the former gives a large amount of absorb when your health reaches a certain threshold, which works nicely with the scaling resistance IO from Reactive Defenses to hopefully buy you a few more seconds when you're getting overwhelmed to get Dark Regen back up.      Panacea helps with overall endurance management and doesn't cost as many slots as improving Stamina and with Cloak of Fear only two-slotted you could use a bit more endurance coming in.   

You're also sitting at a flat 25% defense to all, so just a few purple inspirations for those really tough fights will have you at softcap defense on top of capped resistances (to all but Toxic) - I think you'll be very happy with how tanky this will be.   

Edited by Justaris
For clarification

My AE arcs:

1 hour ago, Justaris said:

Here's an idea of how you might move things around.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.1
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), StdPrt-ResKB(39)
Level 1: Scorch -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 2: Fire Sword -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), Krm-ResKB(40)
Level 8: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(21), ShlWal-Def(21), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(23), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(23)
Level 35: Incinerate -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(42)
Level 41: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(9), Prv-Absorb%(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
------------

As I mentioned, I took slots from Incinerate since you were already past the S/L cap.   I also dropped a bit off Fire Sword to give you slots for the Panacea and Preventive Medicine procs.   I swapped one of your LOTG +recharges out for the Karma and added another slot in CJ for the Blessing of the Zephyr and made the swap from Boxing to Kick since it costs you nothing and gives back some of the recharge we lose from giving up the LOTG and the Crushing Impact bonus.  

As far as the regen question, while it's a low hanging fruit item, it's also more a 'nice to have' as I said before and I'm not sure there's anything further to sacrifice here that really justifies their inclusion, so in this version I've left them off.   I decided against dropping your Toxic resistances since while you're over cap in Psi you're not in Toxic and there is a fair amount of Toxic damage late game that you'll want that resistance for.   I was also able to get you a bit more Energy resistance with Touch of Death 2-slots in Scorch and Fire Sword without giving up any of the other changes.   

On the subject of Preventive and Panacea, the former gives a large amount of absorb when your health reaches a certain threshold, which works nicely with the scaling resistance IO from Reactive Defenses to hopefully buy you a few more seconds when you're getting overwhelmed to get Dark Regen back up.      Panacea helps with overall endurance management and doesn't cost as many slots as improving Stamina and with Cloak of Fear only two-slotted you could use a bit more endurance coming in.   

You're also sitting at a flat 25% defense to all, so just a few purple inspirations for those really tough fights will have you at softcap defense on top of capped resistances (to all but Toxic) - I think you'll be very happy with how tanky this will be.   

Thank you very much!  Ill be incorporating a chunk of this into the final version, I believe.

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

I've personally found that two KB IO's are enough for pretty  much everything in the game except maybe a couple things such as combined Fame Nemesis. If you got the space to allocate three though, can't hurt but I am planning my DA tank with just two and see how it goes.

I'd be curious to see how that goes.   I generally build based on the protection given by the other Tanker sets, which with the exception of Grounded all give 10 points of protection, so that's the mark I usually aim to meet or exceed to consider myself protected.    

My AE arcs:

8 points of -KB should be plenty for most content.

• Minions have no KB attacks with a mag higher than 4
  • Lieutenants have 3 attacks higher than mag 8 (0.7% of all LT grade KB attacks), all belonging to 3 named LTs I don't think I have never fought
  • Bosses have 17 KB attacks higher than mag 8 (1.5% of all boss KB attacks), of which most are either Malaise's Nightmares or random named heroes, while the only ones you'd encounter "normally" are certain Longbow bosses (Gravity), Fake Nemeses and some iTrial enemies
  • EBs have one attack above mag 8 (Longbow Ballista Force Bolt at mag 12)
  • AVs / Heroes have 105 attacks above mag 8 (16.7%), but the average mag of this subset of attacks is 22.5, or 18.1 if we exclude a couple of mag 200+ attacks, and 63 attacks would still be above mag 12 (10%).

Basically when you account for the frequency of the enemies you'll face, personally I would go for mag 8 protection and get the -KB temp power from base as needed. While I haven't played a lvl 50 Tank who relies on -KB IOs, I've had several Scrappers and Brutes with just 2 -KB IOs and never felt like I needed a third.

Source: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Knockback/Enemies_with_Knockback_Powers

• Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.