Conversation With A Troll

Buffy Barritt

Feel like some light reading? Here's an amusing Discord conversation I had with a redside SG co-leader. The occasion was my proposal, in general chat, that we do something to make the group more friendly towards female recruits. I was the SG's recruiter at the time.

This is posted in support of MetaVileTerror's Rule One.  Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

July 25, 2019

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:17 PM

Okay. So what's with all the open hostility? Why are you this angry?

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:25 PM

I feel similarly to others in that your argument came out of nowhere and that you are bringing up either past issues or non-issues for reasons unknown. The situation with MRA-0 was handled by MRA-0 and there were consequences for how it was handled. People had their differences and left. That happened in the past. Under new management and attempting to rebuild, you are bringing up past issues when they don't need to be brought to attention. More so, the biggest issue in my opinion is the fact that players got personally offended over a roleplay. It's akin to reading Game of Thrones, getting personally offended as if you were one of the characters in the book, and shaming George RR Martin for writing it.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:26 PM

Once or twice, I'd agree with you. But this stuff built up over a long time. Many instances. Pretending that it has gone away won't make it so. I want to make sure that I'm not just recruiting new victims. It's an ethical question, really. I mean, look at MRA-3's reaction. He's practically frothing at the mouth.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:29 PM

We make sure it doesn't happen again by telling new recruits what they are in for and letting them decide if they can handle it or not....Not by changing everything else so we please everyone, not offend anyone, and make it a safe and PG-13 place for all people.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:30 PM

Okay. So I am supposed to tell people to expect abusive and sexist RP? How do I sell that?

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:31 PM

Tell me, besides what MRA-0 did, who else did what exactly?

And I want specific examples.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:31 PM

You told me I should offer blowjobs to all the members.

Was a serious statement that you later claimed was IC. I let it pass.

Six women I talked to on their way out the door complained over and over that there's too much ERP. Four guys too.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:32 PM

Yes, MRA-2 said that because I was responding in an IC manner and you weren't using brackets to show that you were speaking OOCly.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:33 PM

Nah. It was an asshat thing to say to a brother officer. But i let it pass.

IC OOC still asshat.

So the problem is, these things are not fun for the recipient and that hurts the SG. This is my point. Folks will log on elsewhere if this is just a sausage fest.

You, MRA-3, and MRA-1 are basically arguing for your sausage fest rights.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:34 PM

OOC I wouldn't have said that, so don't assume the words came from the player when I am clearly stating that those words were said by the character because that's in the haracters personality. I even used quotation marks indicating it was IC.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:35 PM

Hey I was there, remember? You said be specific. I am not asshurt about it. It's just a red flag. If you enjoy saying stuff like that IC then you're probably going to drive away the ladies.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:37 PM

That's the characters personality. It is what it is. But once again, you are insinuating the player enjoys it because the character might. You are mixing IC and OOC and that's never good.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:38 PM

Does. Not. Matter. It's all about being a decent human being. You and I never had harsh words. So I figured, it was just a bad day. People will be forgiving if it doesn't happen all the time. I want rules so it doesn't happen all the time. That's reasonable, I think.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:39 PM

It matters immensely. RP is not real life. My character does not need to be a decent human being.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:39 PM

If you want the group to thrive, yes you do. You and MRA-1 are officers. If you can't control your tongues, where will we be?

Let me give you another example, one from my past mistakes.

In my last SG, I was an officer who became a target. Other officers came up to me, IC, and told me I was terrible and should never have gotten the job.

This went on and on. I cried. I got angry. I shouted out.

"It's just IC," they all said and laughed. But I ended up quitting. It wasn't any fun to log on anymore.

That is what we're up against. Most RPers have alts in several groups. If we want them to log on to us, we have to be reasonably nice people. Not attack females on sight, even in Discord.

You, MRA-3 and MRA-1 all kinda batshit at the same time, in public chat, lol.

Coulda been done different.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:43 PM

Then clearly, you are taking the roleplay too personally. And attacking females on sight? In Discord? What are you talking about? You're a guy irl.

Why are you even making this about gender?

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:43 PM

Right. But I'm standing up for women just now, and that's why you're mad I think.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:43 PM

It has NOTHING to do with gender.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:44 PM

Come on come on, you were just ready to fly off the handle. This is old business made new.

The next person who comes into the SG and has anything to say about gender is going to be flayed alive too.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:50 PM

No dude, you're not standing up for women. You are extremely toxic because you make up false statements and then really believe them to be true. You know what kind of person you are? You're the type to twist words to put yourself on a pedestal. Here's an example: You: "So do you like that girl?" Person: "Nah, she's not my type." You: "Why, because she's black?" Person: "What? No, they just aren't my type." You: "Oh so black people aren't your type? Your a racist bigot and it's people like you that ruin this country."

That's pretty much you right now.

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:51 PM

I am asking you to change your behavior, become a decent human being. You are insisting that the world accept you the way you are. Even if it means I can't recruit because you will just tell all the female toons to go suck dicks. Yes?

You want to be evil.

MRA-2 Last Thursday at 8:52 PM

Oh my word...you can't be this dense...

Feminist Last Thursday at 8:52 PM

Sayin' the same thing bro.

You want a permanent excuse for any bad behavior you're feeling, any time. I am saying no can do.

Are you MRA? There's a reddit for this kind of thing.

...and that's where our conversation ended, because MRA-2 booted me from Discord, kicked me out of the SG and deleted me from his global friends list.

I guess he showed me, huh?

• Retired Game Master

Locked.

Please handle personal disagreements either in person or by judicious use of ignore/block/etc. rather than dragging it into the forums.

Please keep in mind that posts made in this way can be considered a form of harassment even though 'names have been changed'.

Edited by GM Fiddleback

"No, really. He's a GM. Don't ask me."

--The Entire Server, probably.