Random Acts of Art

_Kai_

Sometimes I draw stuff. It's not always good. But I'm going to share anyway.

So my lovely ThinkPad X61 Tablet was slowly dying, so I flailed about what to get. Ended up with a 1st gen Surface I drew this in Autodesk Sketchbook and started coloring in Illustrator. So far so good!

I'm used to drawing in pencil, scanning, and then starting the vector cel color, so happy that I managed to get a decent completely digital sketch.  WIP1 is colors at half opacity so the sketch can be seen, WIP2 is the current flat colors in, shadows, highlights, and details TBD.

FlowBase1.gif

FlowBase2.gif

Edited by _Kai_
  • Like 1

Off to a great start Kai. zb7XgP0P_o.png

What can you tell us about the character?

Wait, is she on roller blades or are those rocket thrusters?

I've heard the Surfaces are nice, even the first gen's, and you have the

whole thing, including the PC, self contained in one unit. How's it working out so far?

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

The character is Flow, she's a total homage to Jet Set Radio Future, so yes, she's on inlines(prestige slide). I was messing around with water blast in a yellow-green thinking radioactive water but it looked way more like spraypaint and had a 'wait...wait...I could totally make a character who goes around grafetting Arachnos soldiers in neon colors...' moment. >.>  I decided to draw her first because I'm comfortable with a lot of her outfit elements, having drawn them before for other characters in the past.

The Surface is doing good! I can use the same stylus as my X61 as they are both Wacom pen tech, Surface 3 and above you have to use the Microsoft one.  It has about 3hrs of battery life which is perfectly fine.  Its definitely heavier than newer Surfaces or iPads but still lighter than my X61.  I am one of those people who can't draw in one place and see it in a different place, so all the wacom tablets and such never worked for me.  When I was looking, there were a number of 'second monitor' tablets, which I could draw on screen but required being plugged into a computer and though they were cheaper, I liked the idea of being able to take the whole thing with me wherever. It does run a bit hot if you are actively doing stuff for a couple hours but I figure that's to be expected.

2019-07-07 12_20_10-City of Heroes.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later

Looking good Kai.

Ludots is correct if ⅔ of the neck is in shadow then more of the left side of her face is as well.

Also you need to decide if the light source is overhead right or just straight right.

The majority shows straight right but the shadow under the goggles implies some overhead.

If it is straight right then her right leg should also be casting a shadow on her inner left leg.

It's shaping up nicely though. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

Do need to fix the goggles and I apparently didn't unhide the rest of the face shadows after working on eyes, whoops! Light is supposed to be right, slightly higher than center, and her left (right to us) leg is bent slightly, calf forward of her right (left to us) which gives a little light to it, but mostly shadow, have to work on that knee a bit to try and make that clearer, maybe take the light off the front of the boot too

• Like 1

Yeah I see that but even if her leg is forward and therefore partially out

of the cast shadow's path her legs do meet at the crotch. So that means there

has to be at least a partial shadow there that shrinks as it moves down her forward leg.

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 1 year later

whoa, what an incredibly cool style! Thanks for sharing this artist.
I am using my HP laptop atm as my XP-Pen Deco 01 V2 digital graphics pad with their tilt pen. I like the matte finish on the display and the pen has 8192 pressure points but overall its a bit difficult to draw on.

From what i see display drawing tablets are more intuitive.  I am new to digital art and through Krita , Medibang paing and Sketchbook  drawing apps. it's free but enough for me. 

• Thanks 1

...so uh. I literally forgot I started this thread. 

I may have also forgotten to ever finish that drawing of Flow >.>

<.<

So here have the thing I posted over in art sharing that was me drawing a character over an outfit base as a distraction!

RoxyGW3.png

• Like 1

Yeah....I need to go find that.... 😄

But bonus time, I unexpectedly won a Your Character Here auction that I thought was going on longer than it was, and I didn't have the ref I thought I had from the Way Back Art, so here's a 'crap I have like 4 hours in which to throw some color on and halfway fix up a drawing that's like 20 years old' 

Exogene.png

• Like 2