Sonic/Dark build help

Echo Night

I'm making this my main and was wondering if anyone could give some advice. I haven't seen this combo anywhere unless it was posted within the last day or so I don't have much to go on except what I think I know I need to make this work. I know /dark is very needy but judicious toggle play will hopefully take care of that. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.2
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Echo Night: Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Secondary Power Set: Dark Armor
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Shriek -- SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(19), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(9), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(11)
Level 2: Scream -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(25), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(25), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 4: Tenebrous Regeneration -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Pnc-Heal(50)
Level 6: Arcane Bolt -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 8: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 10: Obsidian Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11), StdPrt-ResKB(27)
Level 12: Shockwave -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(13), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Rgn-Dmg(33), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Obscure Sustenance -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(17), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(17), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Obl-%Dam(31)
Level 18: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(33)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(36), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(37), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 26: Screech -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- SphIns-ToHitDeb(A), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(42), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(42), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SphIns-%ToHit(43)
Level 30: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(37), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(39), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(39), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 32: Dreadful Wail -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(46)
Level 35: Amplify -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Spirit Ward -- Heal-I(A)
Level 44: Rune of Protection -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Weave -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(50), Rct-Def/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(5)
------------

Dark Armor can be tricky to build on Sentinels and there are a number of ways to handle it.  You have a lot of good ideas on what sets to use, but I do wonder a bit about the character goals.  The reason I ask this is I see Winter sets in your build.  I know that part of the answer here is "defense bonus", but those suckers cost a considerable amount of influence.  For the same level of cost or effort (merits) you could also go for the very rares with 10% global recharge.  So what kind of content are you hoping to survive with this build?

Sonic is a set that has better than normal target caps on its AoE powers since they are almost all cones.  You only took 1.  Again, tying in to the statement about above defense, it feels just criminal to slot Thunderstrikes in Screech vs Apocalypse.  Screech is one of the hardest hitting primary attacks for Sentinels and a set like Thunderstrike just feels so... "meh".  I completely understand the rationale for going after the ranged defense from Thunderstrike, but why?  What are you concerned will hurt you at range? 

I'm a fan of Rune of Protection, but not slotting it feels so weird to me.  Obscure Sustenance does no real damage to speak of.  Obliteration is a fantastic set for both recharge and melee defense, but again, what are you going for?  Obscure Sustenance only ever needs 1 target for its effect and its base accuracy is very high.  You can completely get away with a bunch of passive IO accuracy set bonuses and just socket that sucker with a Healing set.  The potential regeneration on Obscure Sustenance gets really good with enhancement and it is even better when you can activate it as often as possible. 

Cloak of Fear AND Oppressive Gloom seems like overkill.  I'm not a huge fan of Cloak of Fear, but if I took it, I would absolutely use Siphon Insight.  The -to hit debuff isn't amazing on this power though.  It's great at making minions pretty helpless, but you should be hammering them with AoE in the first place.  Minions just aren't a threat and the -to debuff is going to be ignored by anything that is.  Anyway, your head is in the right place here, but this also circles back to some of my other commentary on defense stacking.  What kind of content are you concerned about here?  Your Dark build is very heavily focused on being in close range.  You have means of initiating fights on your terms (I see the Stealth IO + Cloak of Darkness+ Dreadful Wail + Oppressive Gloom).  You can completely turn off the threat from the pitiful masses and you have Rune of Protection + Obscure Sustenance to mitigate Bosses to Elite Bosses. 

I'm real biased to trying to play to a Secondary's strengths and in the case of Dark Armor melee defense is where I would worry the most.  Melee damage IS the biggest threat and ranged elemental damage can be a joke.  Psychic enemies are pretty much your prey of choice and not many Sentinels can say they just have 0 fear of Carnies.  Not like Carnies are a huge deal, but they are obnoxious.  Dark Armor makes them just flies on your windshield. 

Unbreakable Guard is a great set at 4 pieces on Dark Armor.  Your head is in the right place on Obsidian Shield.  I'm also fond of Reactive Defenses and Weave's not a bad choice there either.  I'd probably look to add Preventative Medicine as a full set in Obscure Sustenance (that's because I actually do that on mine).  That will get a large recharge bonus but also more endurance discount.  You don't need to chase as many recovery procs with Sentinel Dark Armor either.  You could easily run the Panacea proc in Health as the only proc there.  You could 3 slot Numina in Tenebrous Regeneration and keep the Performance Shifters as is in Stamina.  Obscure Sustenance used on cool down should easily keep your endurance topped off along with Defensive Opportunity.  What you have isn't wrong, and it is a way to do it.  It just may be a little more than is needed. 

Have you tested this on Justin?

Edited by oldskool
  • Thanks 1

Hi and thanks for the reply and the copious amount of suggestions. The main reason for the power set combination is theme. My chars name is Echo Night. I think the original version back before sunset was a Sonic/Sonic def and it just didn't feel right. IIRC, I don't think we were able to to have this combo at the time I created him way back.

I'm not going to address every single point you made, just to say that they were all great and hopefully the updated build reflects that I read and applied your suggestions, I think almost all of them.

My primary goals were to get typed defense as high as I possibly could and get endurance sustenance to a manageable level. Sounds counter intuitive with CoF but I love Dark Armor and remember the mighty struggle I had with my Ma/Da scrapper back in the day to include every single toggle and run them while attacking. It was a true intensive labor of love. When I was building this, I think I was still in my scrapper mind set and with the plethora of new sets to play with, I got a little lost in the build. I normally don't ask for help because then the build doesn't feel like mine. But when I realized I wasn't making a scrapper build, I figured wth. Let's seek some guidance and you sure supplied plenty of good guidance. For the most part, I truly didn't know what to do with this build per se. I knew what I wanted, I just didn't see how to get there, so thank you.

As of this writing, Echo Night, is only 22. But I like to have my builds planned out way in advance so that I can start picking up stuff along the way. Here's the updated build.

Edit: What is Justine? And how do I test this there?

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.2
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Echo Night: Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Secondary Power Set: Dark Armor
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Shriek -- SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(3), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), UnbGrd-ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), GldArm-3defTpProc(37)
Level 2: Scream -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(7), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(9), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19)
Level 4: Tenebrous Regeneration -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(17), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(45)
Level 6: Arcane Bolt -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg(50)
Level 8: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 10: Obsidian Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11), StdPrt-ResKB(45)
Level 12: Shockwave -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(13), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Rgn-Dmg(15), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(17)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 16: Obscure Sustenance -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(40), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(40), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(42), Prv-Absorb%(43)
Level 18: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(39)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-EndRdx(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 26: Screech -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(27), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Apc-Acc/Rchg(29)
Level 28: Howl -- JvlVll-Acc/End/Rech(A), JvlVll-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(31), Rgn-Knock%(31), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(33), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(33), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33)
Level 30: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43)
Level 32: Dreadful Wail -- Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Arm-Dmg(36), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 35: Amplify -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 38: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Spirit Ward -- Heal-I(A)
Level 44: Rune of Protection -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(46), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 47: Weave -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(50), Rct-Def/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Oppressive Gloom -- RzzDzz-Immob%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Heal(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(34)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(34), PrfShf-EndMod(34)
------------

Edited by Echo Night

54 minutes ago, Echo Night said:

My primary goals were to get typed defense as high as I possibly could and get endurance sustenance to a manageable level.

Edit: What is Justine? And how do I test this there?

You're welcome. 

I figured that high defense was the goal and it is pretty obvious with your choice in sets.  Going at this from a Scrapper perspective also makes sense.  It's good you're getting out of that mindset.  Even though there are similarities, a Sentinel can play very differently even if it is up close and personal. 

I brought up Dreadful Wail and Oppressive Gloom for a reason.  That's because they stun.  Screech also stuns.  When everything you face is walking around punch drunk you don't need to worry that much about their retaliation against you.  You can just arrest everything to your heart's content.  In some ways this pair is kinda like a Tanker Energy Melee/Dark Armor idea as that primary is very stun heavy.  With your CC potential you shouldn't need to really push defense at the expense of your offense. 

Eventually you will get to Incarnate options post-50.  You have a number of choices to go with for the Alpha slot.  The Cardiac line, specifically Core, works as an enhancement effect to all of your endurance reducers.  It also boosts resistance enhancements.  Both of these things can work real well running Cloak of Fear.  I'm not sure you actually need CoF in your build due to the stun potential, but you should explore it since you're still leveling.  You could also go the Musculature routes for pushing your damage enhancements.  The Radial option also modifies some endurance.  Intuition Radial offers some interesting perks as well as some damage like Musculature Radial.  Musculature Core is your pure damage option. 

Justin is the test server.  When you open up the Tequila client and look at the list of servers to join, pick the Beta client.  When you log in the only server name option is "Justin".  You can level up to 50, make whatever Incarnate abilities you want, and give yourself all of your enhancements if you like.  The Beta subforum has a few posts sticky at the top to really help you make the most of the experience.  You can then run that test version through whatever process you wish.  It beats spending $20-25 million per Winter IO only to realize you never needed it for whatever content you prefer.  😉

Edited by oldskool