Spines/Ice Build

Racist Dolphin

Got another build for you guys, spines/ice.

Energy Absorption is on a 17 second cooldown, endurance will never be a problem!

Smashing&Lethal defense: 49.8%

Fire&Cold defense: 39.1%

Resistance is definitely not the greatest but I never paid it much mind since Energy Absorption also boosts your defense even more, and you can stack the ability twice.

Incarnates are completely up to you, but I would highly recommend Barrier or Rebirth for the Destiny Slot

Brute - Spines - Ice Armor.mxd

• 1 month later

I am playing one of these as my main now and I hate to say its a grind for a brute.  The spine animations are slow and the attack chain just feels chaotic.  I am 28 so close to throw spines (32) which  will be the tipping point to make it much more fun.

I under slotted my defense toggles to load up my attacks, and that was a HUGE mistake.  When I made the switch to IO's at 25/27 my toon gets shredded on teams.  They are always fighting purples and it punches through my defense like toilet paper.  Solo I cranked up the number of heroes I am equivalent to and can safely grind through even level mobs.

I do have a question on Energy absorption.  It's a bit odd to use and slot and I could use some input:

a.  Do I slot for defense/recharge and just enjoy the endurance I get?

b.  Is there a minimum number of mobs this is best used on?  >3 or ok with one?

Same question on spine burst, don't use it unless 3 or more?

Edited by carnalchaos

more than 3 mobs will almost bring up endurance from near empty back to full.

It is awesome for defense procs, as actual defense doesn't help it very much. You get more defense based on the mobs you soak rather than slotting it. If you need it, pop it off, no matter how many mobs you have in it's radius...bur recharge is vastly more important than overloading defense. I usually slot a LOTG proc +5 and a LOTG defense +5 and call it good. for defense. I also slot acc if needed (It seldom is) or 2 slot prvent med for the buff.

Spine burst, unless you have a full spawn around you, is very slow, very expensive, and very poor dps. If you need it to fill a 3 second gap in your attack chain or you need a proc, and you have scads of extra end (which you might with ice) sure, otherwise there are almost always better options for low numbers of mobs.

Edited by Frostweaver

• 3 months later

I have a Spines/Ice Brute as well, and I'm trying to figure out a build for it that is all around.  Can anyone post a decent build?  I can't see mdx files, so I can't see anything above.  Mine currently is 46 and will be 50 in a few days..

Thank you!

On 2/3/2020 at 8:00 PM, WarWagon said:

I have a Spines/Ice Brute as well, and I'm trying to figure out a build for it that is all around.  Can anyone post a decent build?  I can't see mdx files, so I can't see anything above.  Mine currently is 46 and will be 50 in a few days..

Thank you!

Here is the build of the topic starter.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Spines
Secondary Power Set: Ice Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lunge -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(45)
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(13), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Rct-Def/Rchg(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 2: Spine Burst -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Arm-Acc/Rchg(3), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Arm-Dam%(5), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(7)
Level 4: Hoarfrost -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(11)
Level 6: Chilling Embrace -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 10: Wet Ice -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-End/Res(17), GldArm-RechRes(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25)
Level 16: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(46)
Level 18: Quills -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(23)
Level 20: Glacial Armor -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29)
Level 22: Energy Absorption -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(29), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(31), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(31), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(31), MckBrt-Rchg(34)
Level 24: Spirit Ward -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 26: Mystic Flight -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 28: Rune of Protection -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(48), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(50), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 30: Permafrost -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(46), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(46), Ags-Psi/Status(48)
Level 32: Throw Spines -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(34)
Level 35: Icicles -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(37)
Level 38: Electrifying Fences -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(40)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Rgn-Knock%(43), Ann-ResDeb%(43)
Level 44: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(50)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Hibernate -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A)
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
------------

• 1 month later

Can the Spines be made to look like ice?

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.