Prose for the Well Read Warrior

Dacy

• Community Rep

There was no place for longer pieces of fiction, and I KNOW they are out there! So I decided to start a topic. Sure, I could make it about just my stuff, but I know there are lots of great writers out there.

If you'd like critical feedback, editing suggestions, grammar and spelling checks, I'd like to think this is a place where you could ask for reviews, and our lovely community will respond in a constructive fashion, with the goal of improving  your skills and your stories. If you are critiquing someone's work, please try and phrase things as constructively and positively as you can. The rule of thumb is to try and say at least one to two things that are positive for every negative you point out. As for grammar, I encourage people to ask for editing help with this if grammar or spelling is a struggle for them. Nothing ruins a story faster or makes it more difficult to comprehend than poor grammar and construction, and nothing helps a story to shine better than constructive feedback and good editing.

So here is my story, it's a bit longer than some, but I've been told it reads well. I appreciate feedback. 🙂

(Unfinished starter sketch of Trick and Dacy)

Trick_And_Dacy.thumb.jpg.7ba0dcc9d6aff08a7fa18a59b50f11cd.jpg

I hope you enjoy, and I hope to read your story here, too!

-Dacy

The Fight Begins.docx

Edited by Dacy
Edited mistakes in text file
  • Like 1

*** /e wonders if the Trick and Dacy is a word jumble of "Dick Tracy" police detective? ***

Also there is no reason you couldn't have both a community thread like this and

your own thread where you put up sketches and first drafts and such.

By way of example I have my own art thread here...

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7992-««-christopher-robins-artz-n-stuff-»»/

but I've creatively contributed to the Art Request Thread, Collab Central, 5 Minute Artz, Costume Design, etc. etc.

No time to read the story at the moment but the sketch is off to a great start. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

• Community Rep

Yes, Trick Dacy was my husband's creation, and he came up with the name. It was he who first became friends with Fire Onyx and Starchilde. Before I had my own account, I would watch them team, jealous that I was not able to join them (I had no account because there was at that time, only one computer which could play the game). Once I was able to get my own account, I made a character to team with Trick and Fire and Starchilde. I came up with Dacy's Trick. Since Trick was a spoonerism, or a sort of a flip/play on Dick Tracy, I made Dacy's name a flip/play on Trick Dacy. Then I came up with why that was her name. 🙂

We had a full team nearly always, and others who were fairly regular, but these four were the core. I became known simply as  "Dacy", because that's how most people had met me, and the name stuck, even though I later branched out into a plethora of other characters. I intentionally modeled Dacy after myself in some ways...we are the same height and coloring and build, and we share a similar level of eagerness, determination,  and energy, and a desire to get it done and done well, and I liked the name, so I was happy to simply adopt it as my general handle. 🙂

-Dacy

• Community Rep

Yeah, and diving back in to the story...seems like there are always more edits I can do. At least, I thought of another one...I updated the file with it just now, and that's hopefully the last version, unless folks find something that warrants more change.

-Dacy