Anyone have a workaround for the "base edit failed: can't fit" error?

WumpusRat

I'm running into this constantly when I'm trying to build a large base using internal walls (constructed via objects). I'll be running, say, a length of conduit along a wall, and everything is going fine, but a stretch of about 6-10 feet of the wall will suddenly be a non-viable place to place objects, despite there being nothing else in the way. It'll just pop up the error "base edit failed: can't fit". It's frustrating as hell, because it's popping up all over the place, seemingly at random, and prevents a lot of customization.

Are you able to put in a doorway temporarily where you are looking to add the pieces?  I've had this happen before and it generally was in between rooms and adding a temporary doorway allowed the pieces to fit. 

I notice this more when using certain pieces - like the steel wall in Dividers.  For some strange reason, that seems to need a larger size than it occupies in order for it to "fit".

5 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Are you able to put in a doorway temporarily where you are looking to add the pieces?  I've had this happen before and it generally was in between rooms and adding a temporary doorway allowed the pieces to fit. 

I notice this more when using certain pieces - like the steel wall in Dividers.  For some strange reason, that seems to need a larger size than it occupies in order for it to "fit".

I think the place that I was trying to build is already in a doorway. The area was two long 2x21 rooms that had the space between them filled in with doorways, to make one larger room.

The pieces I was trying to place were small praetorian cables, so it wasn't a size issue at all. And not only that, but I'd already built a wall there with other objects, so it wasn't just "nothing can be built here". It was just extremely odd.

5 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

The steel wall comes to mind in the Dividers tab - I tried using it a bunch of times and always got "can't fit" errors with them even when there was plenty of space available.  It's a weird bug to be sure.

Yeah. The odd thing is, when I just decided "screw it, I'll see if I can just cover up the wall area" and dropped a huge mainframe terminal down, in almost the same spot, and it went in with no trouble. But for some reason tiny cables wouldn't fit. It's baffling.

• Community Rep

Large items fitting where small will not does sound much like an error you would get when trying to place an object between rooms.  I noticed that they've changed the coding a bit; used to be, not long ago, you couldn't fill a room and apply it to the base, it wouldn't do that, because that filled the entrance room. However, now you can do that. Also, when I filled the rooms, the doors I had placed did NOT fill, and what's more, were completely open once the rest of the base filled. The base did not look nor act as if the doors were even there. In other words, if I ran over the surface, when I got to a door, I would fall through. Maybe they don't just -look- like they aren't there; they also did not appear on the map, and they used to. Perhaps the new coding has made it difficult to place objects in doors, especially if you are building above the base. Are you building above the base?

-Dacy

Nope, I'm building inside the base this time. Hence why I used a bunch of doors to make fully open areas. I've noticed it crop up here and there, but I've never really looked to see if it was something happening in a "doorway" or not. This one was, but I don't remember about the others. There've been a lot of strange bugs and glitches in the base builder lately.

9 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

I'm running into this constantly when I'm trying to build a large base using internal walls (constructed via objects). I'll be running, say, a length of conduit along a wall, and everything is going fine, but a stretch of about 6-10 feet of the wall will suddenly be a non-viable place to place objects, despite there being nothing else in the way. It'll just pop up the error "base edit failed: can't fit". It's frustrating as hell, because it's popping up all over the place, seemingly at random, and prevents a lot of customization.

Chances are, unless you have room clipping disabled (Did you tap F3 after entering build mode?), you are running through a section that doesn't have a room or door in it.  The important location in the model that the object uses as it's location may be falling in a section of the map that does not have a room or door in it.  If the object is large and symmetrical, try rotating it around and placing it may solve your problems.  I had an issue with the new large structural blocks.  I rotated it and the tracked location fell outside the unused pillar  The object looked the same but the tracked location was in and bound to a room after the object was rotated.

There are surface textures that can span  4 pillars worth of floor space.  Covering up the unusable pillars in the corners between rooms where you can not put doors.

If you are building on a rooftop tiled by large textures, it may look like a continuous rooftop that you are building on.  The location of objects will not be placeable in the spaces above the pillars that are not part of a room or door.  (Not part of your base)

ALL items have a location.  the location MUST fall above, in, or below a room or door.  The point in the object that corresponds to the object's location is the only point that matters for this determination and it can only exist in these bounds.  Large objects can pass through these un-used areas so long as the point that determines their location falls within valid bounds.

Small items will not be able to span the gap and will not be placeable above, below or in the column.

I don't know if this is the problem you are having but it's easy to lose track of these unusable sections of base.  Particularly if you are building on the roof of your base and it's nicely tiled over with textures.

Hope it helps.

4 minutes ago, Diroc said:

Chances are, unless you have room clipping disabled (Did you tap F3 after entering build mode?), you are running through a section that doesn't have a room or door in it.  The important location in the model that the object uses as it's location may be falling in a section of the map that does not have a room or door in it.  If the object is large and symmetrical, try rotating it around and placing it may solve your problems.  I had an issue with the new large structural blocks.  I rotated it and the tracked location fell outside the unused pillar  The object looked the same but the tracked location was in and bound to a room after the object was rotated.

There are surface textures that can span  4 pillars worth of floor space.  Covering up the unusable pillars in the corners between rooms where you can not put doors.

If you are building on a rooftop tiled by large textures, it may look like a continuous rooftop that you are building on.  The location of objects will not be placeable in the spaces above the pillars that are not part of a room or door.  (Not part of your base)

ALL items have a location.  the location MUST fall above, in, or below a room or door.  The point in the object that corresponds to the object's location is the only point that matters for this determination and it can only exist in these bounds.  Large objects can pass through these un-used areas so long as the point that determines their location falls within valid bounds.

Small items will not be able to span the gap and will not be placeable above, below or in the column.

I don't know if this is the problem you are having but it's easy to lose track of these unusable sections of base.  Particularly if you are building on the roof of your base and it's nicely tiled over with textures.

Hope it helps.

As I said above, I'm not building outside the base area with this one. Which is why it was baffling. And yes, I know all about toggling clipping. 

Everything I was building was inside the base, and the item in question was one of the praetorian power cables (a very small object), and was being attached TO ANOTHER OBJECT that had already been placed in that location to create a wall. So obviously the game knew enough to allow SOME items to be placed there, but when I went to place an object on THOSE objects it said "um, no, won't fit!" That's why I found it so odd.

I've run into it here and there in other parts of the base (and in other bases, as well). When it happens again I'm going to start noting down positional information within the base and see if I can figure out some pattern that might be causing it.

1 hour ago, Diroc said:

Have you tried toggling placement type with F5?

Of course. Trust me, I've tried everything that I can think of. I'm not a novice at building bases. 🙂

Like I said, I'm going to start noting down where it happens, and see if I can figure out a pattern, so I can submit a properly reproduceable bug report.

• 5 months later
  • Community Rep

Yeah, hmm...I know I said this somewhere, thought it was here! Lol. Thanks, Enabling. 

I've found a couple of items that seem to be bugged, and if you get anywhere near the edge of a room, they give the error. These are things that I’ve worked with before, and used at the extreme limit of “still in the room”, most notably and consistently, the AE coils. There are a few others I’ve seen give me the error when they should not be doing so, but I didn’t write them down, and they aren’t pieces I’ve used as much currently. So just so people know, this is a sometimes bug, if you are getting “can’t fit” and you think you should be able to place that piece, try a different piece there and see if it’s that place or that piece (assuming you’ve got your settings set so you should be able to place it).

-Dacy