Character compendium

How about adding a character compendium where we can see all characters across the different servers.  This could be a good tool when you get inspired by a character name or concept  and want to see if it's already in use. It would also be useful to check if you and your friends qualify for taskforces or events when not in game.

I realize a real-time list might tax the game servers, but it could be generated by an SQL dump at 3am (or whenever the servers are least busy). The character list could be searchable, filterable, and would include:

• Character name
  • Archetype
  • Origin
  • Level
  • Creation date
  • Supergroup affiliation
  • Alignment
  • Game server

Clicking on a character could also show:

• Titles
  • Powers selected
  • Achievements and badges
  • Auction house and crafting statistics

What wouldn't be displayed:

• Player, player id, or global handle associated
  • Last time character was active
  • Hours played
  • Costume (due to complexity)

If the list is still too huge, we could ignore characters under level 10. For added privacy, we could have an opt-out, either character-wise or account-wise.

What do you all think? Did I miss anything?

• Like 1

Ahem.  Cough cough, cough.  Cough!  HACK!  WHEEZE! . . . https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10583-vileterrors-roleplay-characters-as-of-2019-09-27/

There we go!  Got it out.

Sorry; just a little self-referencing.  But I think that if I could have made those posts automatically, instead of manually, then I probably would have saved about two hours.

I like elements of this idea, though I feel it should definitely be "opt-in" only, not "opt-out."  Basically, some kind of slash-command in-game to automatically generate the character data to your forum profile, or something like that.  But don't go showing off everyone's characters by default.  Some people are very private about their creations, despite this being an MMO.  Provide players with the authority to control the flow of information about their own characters.

16 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Some people are very private about their creations, despite this being an MMO.  Provide players with the authority to control the flow of information about their own characters.

Yes, privacy was very important when I was thinking of this. Not only are the characters unconnected to the actual users (or global handles), but also hides some of the stalker-ish information (like last login date, last location, hours played).

I'd like to know from the rest of the player base if it should be an opt-in or opt-out option.