Convert Hami-O's?

Rathulfr

Someone on Reddit asked a question that hadn't occurred to me before: "Can HO enhancements be converted to other HO enhancements?"

The short answer is "No."

My follow up question for here is: "Can we make it so?"  Would it be possible to change the code/logic behind conversions to treat HOs as just another type of in-set conversion?  That might be a nice QoL feature.  I submit this for your consideration/discussion.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I'd support this idea; of course with the incredible mess of spaghetti code that makes up the game it could be trivial or it could be nearly impossible.  I think I saw one of the Dev's back in the day mention changing how something worked would break something else completely different.  It wouldn't surprise me if HO's were connected to something silly like the chat window.  I seem to remember that the issue back on live had an equally silly dependency.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Someone on Reddit asked a question that hadn't occurred to me before: "Can HO enhancements be converted to other HO enhancements?"

The short answer is "No."

My follow up question for here is: "Can we make it so?"  Would it be possible to change the code/logic behind conversions to treat HOs as just another type of in-set conversion?  That might be a nice QoL feature.  I submit this for your consideration/discussion.  Thanks in advance!

This would be awesome but IIRC because of the way Hamis are coded being able to convert them would mean you'd only be able to slot one of a given kind of Hami-O in a given power (like IO set pieces) and would require significant backend work to change that.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

5 hours ago, macskull said:

This would be awesome but IIRC because of the way Hamis are coded being able to convert them would mean you'd only be able to slot one of a given kind of Hami-O in a given power (like IO set pieces) and would require significant backend work to change that.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?  I'm talking about converting an unslotted HO with Converter salvage, like we do with unslotted IOs.  I'm not talking about attuning or boosting a slotted HO.  Does that help?

@Rathstar

5 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?  I'm talking about converting an unslotted HO with Converter salvage, like we do with unslotted IOs.  I'm not talking about attuning or boosting a slotted HO.  Does that help?

That's what he's saying, apparently it has something to do with how Converters work.  From the description it sounds like the converter would need to treat HO's like Set IO's and limit one of each type in a given power.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Call Me Awesome said:

That's what he's saying, apparently it has something to do with how Converters work.  From the description it sounds like the converter would need to treat HO's like Set IO's and limit one of each type in a given power.

I'm not sure I understand why this would be the case.  Converters can convert IOs in or out of set, or within a given class or type.  HOs don't come in sets, but they do have a type.  I suspect that they might could all be considered one "set" by the Converter logic, and all conversions would be within that set.

Obviously, that's just speculation on my part.  And there are probably higher priority tasks that might make anything more complicated more trouble than it's worth.  It's just an idea someone might tack on to a list for the future.

@Rathstar

Just now, Rathulfr said:

I'm not sure I understand why this would be the case.  Converters can convert IOs in or out of set, or within a given class or type.  HOs don't come in sets, but they do have a type.  I suspect that they might could all be considered one "set" by the Converter logic, and all conversions would be within that set.

Obviously, that's just speculation on my part.  And there are probably higher priority tasks that might make anything more complicated more trouble than it's worth.  It's just an idea someone might tack on to a list for the future.

Probably just an example of spaghetti code in the way enhancements are set up.  I remember hearing Devs talking about the strangest relationships between completely different parts of the game.

• Like 1

Spoiler