One button Dark Extraction

Ever felt Dark Extraction was a bit fiddly to use in combat, with having to find a dead target under all those particle effects and use the power on it before it despawns? Try this:

/bind KEY "+$$target_custom_near defeated enemy$$powexec_name Dark Extraction"

Replace KEY with whatever button you want to bind it to, of course. You'll target the nearest corpse and extract it in one button press, no searching required. I still don't entirely understand exactly why, but the "+$$" at the start causes it to execute the bind twice per button press, instead of only once and requiring two presses to actually make the power activate.

• Like 1

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

5 hours ago, General Idiot said:

I still don't entirely understand exactly why, but the "+$$" at the start causes it to execute the bind twice per button press, instead of only once and requiring two presses to actually make the power activate.

The + at the front causes the bind to activate upon downclick and upclick of the key in question.

More properly, the idea is that it will cause it to cast everything after the $$ more or less continuously while the bound key is held down, but since Dark Extraction has an animation/recharge it winds up only casting once when you do this.  Point being that this arrangement is a more "thorough" way to seek/target/cast than an alternative that doesn't use +$$ since it makes more than one attempt per keyclick, even if only one attempt can be successfully cast.  Scattershot to hit, rather than single shot to hit (if that helps you visualize it better).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 10 months later
On 10/1/2019 at 1:45 AM, General Idiot said:

Ever felt Dark Extraction was a bit fiddly to use in combat, with having to find a dead target under all those particle effects and use the power on it before it despawns? Try this:

/bind KEY "+$$target_custom_near defeated enemy$$powexec_name Dark Extraction"

Replace KEY with whatever button you want to bind it to, of course. You'll target the nearest corpse and extract it in one button press, no searching required. I still don't entirely understand exactly why, but the "+$$" at the start causes it to execute the bind twice per button press, instead of only once and requiring two presses to actually make the power activate.

A variation on this worked for me -- I had been using 'targetcustomnext mypet', which made me cycle through all of my pets and back to the first before the second part would trigger, but setting it up as

/bind ctrl+h "+$$targetcustomnear mypet alive $$ powexecname Rejuvenating Circuit"

worked for me. Thank you.

I use nothing special to accomplish using Dark Extraction and Unchain Essence. The two are next to eachother on my bar. I hit Escape to clear my current target. Clicking Dark Extraction with no target selected will auto-target the nearest dead enemy and I usually have to hit it a second time to get it to go off. If you use this to your advantage, you can clear your target, click Dark Extraction to get a nearby dead target, then click Unchain Essence to blow them up. This is regular practice for me when playing my 'shade and like I mentioned I don't have any particular binds or macros for these abilities.

• Like 1

And that's fine too, play the game how you want to play it, Personally I like being able to just press one button without having to worry about what my current target is. Since I posted it last year I've also taken to using a similar bind for Vengeance on the characters who have it, which is possibly even more useful with how quickly most people mash their self rez button the moment they die.

• Like 1

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?