First Mastermind in 10 years, help! (quite long)

sindyr

So way, way back in the day I think I did a bots/FF mastermind, but I haven’t revisited the At since then – and for all I know, with game changes since then even if I could remember much some of what I might know would be out of date.

I have created a Demon/Thermal MM who just hit level 12. My goal is to take the journey from 1 to 50 with her (Lady Lash), enjoying the process and not trying to rush it (though I do use both the P2W XP boost and the XP buff from the SuperPacks).

However, while I am not in a rush, I enjoy the feeling of wielding as effective a character as possible. I love optimized and maximized builds, where the effectiveness of the character is at its height. So my questions are about that: what are the most effective choices for building and playing my Demon/Thermal MM as I level her to 50?

A few background notes about my playstyle. I don’t play a character after they hit 50, instead I am a serial leveler. So abilities that occur at 50, like purple enhancements or Incarnates aren’t relevant to me. I also have several billions of inf, so I can afford anything I need on the market.

I tend to solo, not team. I often either play radio missions (I play blue-side) or one of two council AE missions I created for fun – one filled with solo bosses (and nothing else), the other a large city map filled with large spawns.

Also I tend to respect to refactor my character every so often. I also do this at 12 when I bring in DO’s, and 22 when I bring in IO’s and IO Sets. I’ll also do it when I get a great power I want to fully slot right away – for example, if I turn 26 and get Summon Demon Prince, I might just respect immediately, so I can stuff six slots right into that power – since respeccing does not enforce slot acquisition order.

I don’t think I entirely understand how slotting one’s pet summoning powers affects how one’s pets are enhanced – but I’ll come back to that. With most of my other characters, I often focus on getting insanely high recharge via LOTG’s and Set Enhancements, but an MM doesn’t seem to need to worry about that so much.

In terms of resources to leverage in powering up my MM, I have the aforementioned INF (useful for buying all 3 amplifies on the P2W as well as any set I need on the AH). I have also created a base with every useful feature I could find or think of, including a base buff station that I visit every hour for the recovery rate and recharge rate boosts, not to mention KB protection and sometimes travel speed increases.

So I guess I’ll just start with the questions, if some kind and wise MM master would be willing to spend some time educating me. In no particular order, here we go:

Q: For all my other characters, I made sure to slot the two AT sets right off, at level 12. Are Command of the Mastermind and Mark of Supremacy the best choices I could make to slot up my Demons and Demonlings? Do the procs (well, not really procs, but you know what I mean) in them only apply to that pet, or to ALL my pets; ie: if I put Command of the Mastermind in Summon Demonlings, will the Demonlings, will just the Demonlings get the Defense Aura, or will the Demons get it too?

Q: Again, using Command of the Mastermind in Summon Demonlings as an example, it says (according to Mids/Pine) that it generates bonuses of 66% Accuracy, 97% Damage, 66% End Discount, and 96% Recharge.  Does this mean that not only does my summon power cost 66% less end to use and recharges 96% faster, but that my Demonlings once summoned will be 66% more Accurate, 97% more damaging, use 66% less Endurance, and have their powers come back 96% faster?

Q: If Enhancements *do* work that way, wouldn’t procs also works the same way? For example, apparently, I can slot Knockback sets in my Summon Demon T2 power. Couldn’t I put the Explosive Strike Damage Proc in it then? If I did, would the proc check with every attack of my Demon, or only when it used a KB attack?

Q: Wouldn’t it therefore possibly make sense to put an A/D set IO in a MM summon power, followed by two generic DMG IOs, followed by three good procs (or specials)?

Q: On another note (though related), I understand why I want my pets to have accuracy and damage boosts, but do I have to be as concerned about them running out of endurance and slotting EndRdx? If I boost their Recharge by a lot, are they smart enough to use the better attacks as often as possible, or do they just use the same attack chain no matter what?

Q: When I cast Fire Shield on one pet, it seems to put it on all simultaneously. Will the same be true for Plasma Shield, Thaw, and Forge?

Q: Are there any pool powers that would be pretty worth considering for a Demon/Thermal MM? What powers in general would you suggest? I like my three Lash attacks quite a bit.

Q: Are there any skippable powers in the primary or secondary? I was going to skip the Phoenix res and take everything else.

Q: Any special tips on using Hell on Earth to max effectiveness? Is that a good place to mule some of the Defense Auras from the Recharge Intensive sets? (+Def/Res for pets)

Q: Any special tips in general on playing a Demon/Thermal? On running Demon pets?

Q: What Fifth ancillary/epic pool would you recommend and why? Mace Mastery for Power boost?

Q: How would you slot at 12 for best effectiveness? At 22? 35? 45?

Is there any other advice you would give me, apart from the commonly given thought that you don’t *need* to minimax in this game to be effective and defeat standard mission mobs. I already know that. I *want* to design and play for peak effectiveness, because that’s one way in which I enjoy playing this game – a lot.

So, how do I build and play a Demon/Therm MM who will be maximally effective on his way from 12 to retirement at 50?

Thanks!

Can answer one real quick.  Recharge slotting in pets only affects the recharge of the summon power.  Pets/pet attacks are not affected by +recharge (that also goes to +recharge buffs like speed boost, they'll get the +speed but not the +recharge).  They are also immune to -recharge debuffs as a silver lining, but again are still affected by slows to movement (as you'll see when they get hit by something like caltrops).  

Endurance reduction does affect both the summon power and the pets.  I definitely notice the difference in some of my pets running out of endurance with and without endurance slotting.  It greatly depends on the pet though, some tend to use a lot of end and others not so much.  For example, from my memory for necro pets it isn't too much an issue, whereas all 5 of my thugs seem to be heavy end users, and for bots it was mostly an issue with the two protector bots.  I'm not as familiar with demons, but it is pretty easy to watch and figure out for yourself which need help in that area.

Edited by Riverdusk

I think the only time Gaussian’s build up proc can affect pets is in the T2 thug pets as they have leadership auras they cast that affect all the thugs. I’d think that would also be true for the wolves that cast buffs but haven’t read that anywhere. I typically grab the leadership pool powers and the fighting toggles just to buy myself some wiggle room when the shit hits the fan. As far as slotting all the auras I usually just dump them in the temp pet summon demon gets as I don’t use it very often. If you want to use it more though you could probably dump one each in your T2 and 3 pets. That’ll leave room for 2 acc 3 damage in all your pets. The kd proc from OF is nice for the 6th slot on your T1 for some extra damage mitigation. As far as running 3 acc/dam IOs on your pets so you can try to slot some extra procs in there, that’s probably pretty safe to do. Personally, considering the minimal debuffing you’ll do in thermal, I think you’re fine using the three attacks. You might also consider force of will for another aoe along with your epic pool aoe.

I don't feel it is necessary to take all 3 whip powers.  but it is up to the player.   2 is more than enough, and I personally feel that Corruption is good enough by itself.   It is quick recharge and gives you enough to do in between the secondary stuff.    But like i said that is up to each player.   I also like to take provoke, that way i can take some heat off of my pets if i need to.  But with /thermal and the demon resist shields and thermal shields and 6 pet IO resist/def auras.  You should be rocking.    Get the 6 Pet defense/Resist IO's in attuned format as soon as you can.   It truly makes a big difference. 

As you level, for your heals make sure you have enough endurance reduction to be able to actually use them.  IF you find that you run out of endo, then figure out what is draining it and slot more endo redux in them.  When i did /thermal experiments it was generally the heals that drained me.     Also,  Bodyguard mode is really nice, but you don't always have to use it.  

Regarding Power Boost,  I don't think it would help /Thermal very much, if at all.   at least in regards to the shields. PB doesn't affect resist buffs at all.  

for general not set slotting,    I for attacks at pets   1 or 2 Accuracy,   1-3 damage,  Minimal of 1 Endo redux,  and then maybe a recharge if you have room,  or add in another endo redux.    for heal slotting,   2 heals, 2 endo redux, 1 recharge.  then add a 5th slot to adjust if you need more endo redux or more recharge or more heal value.  

At level 22 go to the university and make level 25 Enhancement IO's.  they will work all the way to level 50.