AE Fire Farming: Should I Reroll?

Radiaria

Looking into this more I'm seeing arguments that are more and more against having to reroll as a Tanker. 

The most important being: how would any set reliably get +dmg buffs besides SS? And SS has crashing and entire 10-second windows of being "useless." It would also force you into building enough defense and resistance to ignore the crash (do-able). Any other set besides SS will have a much more difficult time reaching fury-level damage bonuses needed to make it competitive to Rad/ or Spines/ brutes that get build-up as well and another aura. Yes, inspirations exist, but you would have an extremely difficult job of getting that many inspirations unless you had a pocket kin. Even with the new modifier .95 (was .80) vs .75 is not enough to close the gap that fury brings to the table for farming. 

It has some serious pros and cons, overall because sets such as Rad/ and Spines/ have been proven to out-perform SS, I am still going to say that I'm not going to ultimately reroll my Brute.

Auroxis posted the math for various fury and damage bonus levels.  Tankers won't do more damage than Brutes in AE farms, except for the first few seconds of the first mob pull.  After that, brutes will reach or exceed 75% Fury, and always be ahead of Tanker, assuming they both use the same amount of red inspirations.

• Like 2

If the current changes go Live, Tankers should pull ahead considering their increased target cap and AoE size. Consider going from 10 to 16 targets is up to a +60% total damage boost (although you won't always have 16 targets in range, so less in practice). Tagging more targets is also useful.

On the flipside, it already goes so fast with the current FotM builds, one might ask: why bother?

When leveling a character from 1 to 50 takes 2 hours, building and slotting a new farmer just to shave (say) 10% off that time seems like a poor investment.

As for influence, anyone who wants to optimize their gains will use the market.

There is a very limited population for which Brutes vs Tankers might be a concern: hardcore gamers who play 8+ hours a day and level hundreds (not dozens, or at least high dozens) of 50s. When you play the game at this intensity, playing the market won't keep up with your influence gains from playing the game (nor will it sustain your army of alts).

Anyone else? Play what you want, I'd be very surprised if you can tell the difference from a performance perspective.

5 hours ago, nihilii said:

If the current changes go Live, Tankers should pull ahead considering their increased target cap and AoE size. Consider going from 10 to 16 targets is up to a +60% total damage boost (although you won't always have 16 targets in range, so less in practice). Tagging more targets is also useful.

On the flipside, it already goes so fast with the current FotM builds, one might ask: why bother?

When leveling a character from 1 to 50 takes 2 hours, building and slotting a new farmer just to shave (say) 10% off that time seems like a poor investment.

As for influence, anyone who wants to optimize their gains will use the market.

There is a very limited population for which Brutes vs Tankers might be a concern: hardcore gamers who play 8+ hours a day and level hundreds (not dozens, or at least high dozens) of 50s. When you play the game at this intensity, playing the market won't keep up with your influence gains from playing the game (nor will it sustain your army of alts).

Anyone else? Play what you want, I'd be very surprised if you can tell the difference from a performance perspective.

While the new target cap is true, the only one that can sustain the damage buffs for tanks needed to be competitive is SS (you'd need to mitigate rage crash in your build but can be done, you'd also have to account for entire 10 second periods of nothingness slowing your run time down pretty consistently) unless you can chug so many ridiculous amounts of reds to make spines or rad work (which won't happen at the rate most think it will, ESPECIALLY if like you said, you're PLing other characters - drastically decreasing the red rate which is killing your damage for Tankers), it's been demonstrated that the tanker starts off better early, and it eventually loses ground to the brute when it builds fury. However, it does make tank farmers a lot more competitive especially for non-AE. Brute still pulls ahead but it's not by the large margins it used to be.

Another note is that it won't AFK farm nearly as well. No matter how you slice that one, even if you rolled Rad for double patch as tanker, you've lost Rage's consistent damage buff which means your damage is weaker than the brute's will be by non-trivial amounts. But most wouldn't pick Rad as a tanker anyway and would choose to go the SS route, which would mean you get NO double aura which is going to kill your afk farm time. 

Bottom line: I do not think that Tankers are replacing Brutes. I think they're getting needed buffs for content outside AE.

Edited by 3333053222