Please Help Me With MM Keybinds

Sketzedi

I'm certain this question has been asked before, but I've googled it, I've searched the forums, I've read the related posts and I've asked in-game for help, and so far I'm getting nowhere with this. I would really love to use keybinds with my Mastermind characters, but I am completely and utterly unable to get them to work. I swear I am not a stupid person, but this is making me feel stupid, and at this point I'm about ready to give up on MMs entirely. I knew I would find this too complicated and I was looking for a hand-holding, "talk me through this like I'm a complete moron" kind of guide, and apparently I can't find one.

Following the directions on Sandolphan's guide on Guidescroll, which a player kindly directed me to, I have tried using the Bind Chains (Version 1) binding method. I copy the script to notepad, then I copy it exactly as-is in-game (for example, the All line reads /bind numpad0 “bind numpad4 petcomall agg$$bind numpad5 petcomall def$$bind numpad6 petcomall pass$$bind numpad7 petcomall att$$bind numpad8 petcomall fol$$bind numpad9 petcomall goto” so I copy that). However, when I try to execute the command by hitting 0 on my number pad in game, I get the error message Unknown Command "bind   I cannot figure out where in that command line the command breaks down. Is it not supposed to be all one line? If not, where am I supposed to break it up? I can see that the problem is with " "bind " but I don't understand what it's supposed to say or do instead.

Then I tried using the bindloadfile method (Version 2), only instead this time I get a completely different error message, depending on where I type the command. I tried typing it in Team chat, since I wasn't on a team and therefore no one would need to read my idiocy, but got the "You are not on a team!" message. Then I tried typing it in Local, and if I put the / in front of the command it said something about not knowing what NUMPAD 0 was, or if I left the / out it would just have my character say the command directly over her head, so I looked like an idiot in local chat.

I can't even explain the problem in chat because the coding ends up cutting off the question. I've asked for help in game, and have basically been told "If you just follow the guide it'll work." I am following the guide. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, because I'm doing exactly what the guide(s) say to do. At this point I feel like my requests for help are being ignored in chat, and I'm so frustrated I could cry. I genuinely don't know what to do at this point, other than to just not play MM (or not try to play one using keybinds). As a note, I have successfully done other forms of commands and keybinds, so I'm not 100% inept at this. I just can't get THIS to work.

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Sketzedi said:

I'm certain this question has been asked before, but I've googled it, I've searched the forums, I've read the related posts and I've asked in-game for help, and so far I'm getting nowhere with this. I would really love to use keybinds with my Mastermind characters, but I am completely and utterly unable to get them to work. I swear I am not a stupid person, but this is making me feel stupid, and at this point I'm about ready to give up on MMs entirely. I knew I would find this too complicated and I was looking for a hand-holding, "talk me through this like I'm a complete moron" kind of guide, and apparently I can't find one.

Following the directions on Sandolphan's guide on Guidescroll, which a player kindly directed me to, I have tried using the Bind Chains (Version 1) binding method. I copy the script to notepad, then I copy it exactly as-is in-game (for example, the All line reads /bind numpad0 “bind numpad4 petcomall agg$$bind numpad5 petcomall def$$bind numpad6 petcomall pass$$bind numpad7 petcomall att$$bind numpad8 petcomall fol$$bind numpad9 petcomall goto” so I copy that). However, when I try to execute the command by hitting 0 on my number pad in game, I get the error message Unknown Command "bind   I cannot figure out where in that command line the command breaks down. Is it not supposed to be all one line? If not, where am I supposed to break it up? I can see that the problem is with " "bind " but I don't understand what it's supposed to say or do instead.

Then I tried using the bindloadfile method (Version 2), only instead this time I get a completely different error message, depending on where I type the command. I tried typing it in Team chat, since I wasn't on a team and therefore no one would need to read my idiocy, but got the "You are not on a team!" message. Then I tried typing it in Local, and if I put the / in front of the command it said something about not knowing what NUMPAD 0 was, or if I left the / out it would just have my character say the command directly over her head, so I looked like an idiot in local chat.

I can't even explain the problem in chat because the coding ends up cutting off the question. I've asked for help in game, and have basically been told "If you just follow the guide it'll work." I am following the guide. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, because I'm doing exactly what the guide(s) say to do. At this point I feel like my requests for help are being ignored in chat, and I'm so frustrated I could cry. I genuinely don't know what to do at this point, other than to just not play MM (or not try to play one using keybinds). As a note, I have successfully done other forms of commands and keybinds, so I'm not 100% inept at this. I just can't get THIS to work.

Thank you!

Alright, I have never used the keybinds long term. I can imagine they're great for those who like them, but they require that you move a hand either off movement controls or off the mouse to hit them and it feels very not fluid to me. 

So, here's how I simplified it. I made macros with my most common commands. I bound macros to keys around my movement keys (habit from WoW days) so

/bind Q "petcom_all aggressive$$petcom_all goto"
/bind e "petcom_all defensive$$petcom_all goto"
/Bind r "petcom_all defensive$$petcom_all follow"

/bind mbutton "petcom_all attack"
and I left the passive button in my tray and on the rare occasion I need my pets in passive I hit it to keep them quiet. 

Just these three binds do 90% of what I need my pets to do. For thugs, I bound my bruiser to left alt with an aggressive goto command so he can tank while I keep the rest near me in bodyguard. Bots benefit from being moved in a mob vs individually. If your arsonist is dying constantly, you can bind a specific key for him. 

Most MM secondaries give you enough to do that you don't want to be like micromanaging your pets positions. I find that the complex pet binds are more useful in costume contests than during gameplay, personally. Especially if you have a more active secondary, like say /nature or /dark, you're going to want to plant your pets somewhere and have easy ways of calling them back. Goto defensive is your perfect macro. Tell pets to go somewhere in a mode that so long as you're in supremacy range of them, you're in bodyguard the whole time. I have a button to make them attack a target, a button to make them go somewhere in aggressive mode when I'm in groups and do not have aggro and thus the bots will sit there in defensive doing nothing while I'm not under attack. 

Just these few simple binds will let you keep moving your MM around while hitting pet commands, let you keep one hand on your movement and the other on your mouse while playing. It feels much more fluid to me and is definitely way simpler than trying to remember your phone tree of MM pet commands. I can move me and my pets around all I need to. I also don't make MMs that can't softcap my pets, so I'm used to being in melee.  

If you want to get the keybinds to work, I'd use the type into chat method.  And reading the line you posted, I'd have to see the error myself to parse it, what you posted in the thread looks correct and I'm not getting that error. I would say recopy the binds and then use arrow keys to scroll and make sure the whole bind copies?

lol I figured it out. Remove the quotes. "bind is not a command. bind is a command. so

/bind numpad0 “bind numpad4 petcomall agg$$bind numpad5 petcomall def$$bind numpad6 petcomall pass$$bind numpad7 petcomall att$$bind numpad8 petcomall fol$$bind numpad9 petcomall goto” 

Does not work. 

/bind numpad0 bind numpad4 petcomall agg$$bind numpad5 petcomall def$$bind numpad6 petcomall pass$$bind numpad7 petcomall att$$bind numpad8 petcomall fol$$bind numpad9 petcomall goto

Does. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so, so much for replying. I'm going to give both these methods a try (I share your sentiment about preferring not to use the number pad/take my hand off the mouse) and see which one works better for me. I really appreciate it!

ETA: I'm going with your method, because it's uncomplicated and easy to remember. Maybe when I get some confidence back I'll try Sandolphan's binds, but for now yours work perfectly. Thank you again!

Edited by Sketzedi