How do accuracy bonuses stack?

Doc_Scorpion

I'm running a blaster with two pieces of the Blaster's Wrath ATO, which gives an Accuracy bonus.  I'm also looking at picking up Tactics, which also gives an Accuracy bonus...  How does Kismet: Accuracy (which gives a "to hit" bonus work into that?  I can't quite wrap my head around the difference or which (Tactics or Kismet) is a best fit for the character.  (I know Tactics is a team support power as well, I'm mostly looking at solo work.)

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Tactics is actually +tohit as well.

Basically, you multiply accuracy x tohit to get the chance of an attack hitting. ToHit is a constant value for your hero/villain and accuracy is a stat for each individual power. (Though there are global accuracy buffs such as the Blaster's Wrath set bonus that will work for every power). By default, ToHit is 75% (.75) and accuracy varies by power but is usually around 100% (1.00). Multiply the two together and you get a 75% hit chance for most unenhanced powers.

ToHit buffs are typically more important. Higher starting value and ease of slotting accuracy enhancements means your accuracy will almost always be higher than your ToHit (ToHit chance decreases vs higher level enemies as well, accuracy is unaffected). When multiplying two things together you get more benefit from increasing the smaller number than the bigger one, so +ToHit buffs should take priority.

Here's a more detailed look at how it works:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Attack_Mechanics

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oxmox said:

ToHit buffs are typically more important. Higher starting value and ease of slotting accuracy enhancements means your accuracy will almost always be higher than your ToHit (ToHit chance decreases vs higher level enemies as well, accuracy is unaffected). When multiplying two things together you get more benefit from increasing the smaller number than the bigger one, so +ToHit buffs should take priority.

So it sounds like Tactics and Kismet: Accuracy synergize...  and maybe Blaster's Wrath wasn't really needed (other than as an expensive way to Frankenslot)?

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

4 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

So it sounds like Tactics and Kismet: Accuracy synergize...  and maybe Blaster's Wrath wasn't really needed (other than as an expensive way to Frankenslot)?

75% base to hit is for even con foes. Your chance to hit decreases against higher con foes, so you need more tohit buffs and/or accuracy bonuses if you're fighting +3s. Scroll to the bottom of the link above for the table.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

9 minutes ago, Uun said:

75% base to hit is for even con foes. Your chance to hit decreases against higher con foes, so you need more tohit buffs and/or accuracy bonuses if you're fighting +3s. Scroll to the bottom of the link above for the table.

Exactly correct.  Against lvl 54 mobs (once you get your lvl shift) your base to hit would only be 48%.  Your accuracy multiplies by that number.  So say you have a total of 50% accuracy bonus meaning your accuracy is 150% or 1.5.  So .48 x 1.5= 72% certainly better but the cap is 95% and that is the goal.  Add Kismet to your build and that base jumps up to 54% then x 1.5 and you are at 81%.  Add tactics and unslotted that is another 10% so .64 x 1.5 = 96%. 

So if you want to be able to always hit lvl 54s and if you don't have the endurance to run Tactics, you would need to get more set bonuses to increase your total accuracy to 198% but with that little 6% kismet you only need 176%. 

Another angle. If you are running full IO sets you would have 60+% already with lvl 50 IOs.  So you really only need an extra global 10-16% with Kismet, or 32-38% without any to hit bonuses.  However, with both Kismet and Tactics you would not need any additional global accuracy.  (assuming 6 slots of any random set)

Side notes ATOs and Winter sets generally have very high accuracy.  Purple sets have low accuracy, just under 60%, but most of them come with a global 15% bonus (not Confuse, Pets or Ranged). 

A trick I use in Mids is go into Options and click on Cofiguration.  Then click on the Exempting and base value tab.  Change that To Hit of 75 down to 48.  That way when I build a character I can see how it would look against +3 mobs at end game and makes it easier to see exactly how much more accuracy I need to get to that 95% mark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HelenCarnate said:

Another angle. If you are running full IO sets you would have 60+% already with lvl 50 IOs.  So you really only need an extra global 10-16% with Kismet, or 32-38% without any to hit bonuses.  However, with both Kismet and Tactics you would not need any additional global accuracy.  (assuming 6 slots of any random set)

She's only lvl 15...  I don't even have the slots for full sets yet!  🙂  🙂   (I should have been clear, this is a leveling build not an endgame build.)

Either way, it sounds like I'm on the right track, thanks!

Ok then figure this way.  After lvl 20 you have a base 75% chance to hit most stuff your level.  You would need about 27% accuracy bonus to get to 95%.  A single lvl 20 IO gives 25.6% which gets you nearly there.  At level 22 you can slot a lvl 25 which gets you 32% which is all you need for even level content.  Now sometimes the game will throw in +1 mobs even if you run at 0 so it is still good to keep at least 1 accuracy SO slotted and at your current level.  If you start doing higher difficulties then it is a good idea to dedicate 2 slots to accuracy and take one away from damage.  The increase in how often you hit will make up for the slight decrease in damage.

Edited by HelenCarnate