Ever run out of missions?

Brodir7

• Retired Game Master

There's a few limits. One of them is that you can only have 5 (or is it 7?) active major story arcs at once. There's a limited number of unique missions in the game. It is possible to do them all. But there's ways to repeat missions, be it through Ouroboros, the radio/paper missions, or straight repeatable mission contacts. You'll never run out of missions you can do, but you may run out of missions you haven't done already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You can also run out of non-repeatable missions due to self imposed limitations too. I’ve got that issue currently with my all Praetoria toon (I’m currently doing First Ward and am not leaving until I finish Night Ward).

I’m already a bit bored of the three repeatable contacts I have available due to my alignment and their dearth of mission variety (each seems to have about three) with the restrictions I put on myself, but a challenge is a challenge.

One thing I’ve been curious about is how story arcs you can no longer access factor into your maximum arc count.

As a specific example, I got the glitch where Calvin Scott jumps the contact line Neutropolis (and wouldn’t give the Warden contact) and ended up with his arc without realizing it and I have no intention of ever completing it because blowing up non-combatants regardless of faction is one of thos moral event horizon actions I’d delete a character before I’d have them complete.

My hope is it’ll go away when I finally finish the “choose hero alignment and go to Paragon” mission... and if it doesn’t I’ll just live with one less story arc, but I’m curious about the actual mechanics.

• Retired Game Master
1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

One thing I’ve been curious about is how story arcs you can no longer access factor into your maximum arc count.

There's very few cases where this can actually happen, but if the contact shows in your active tab with the green book icon, it counts. If they don't, it probably doesn't but I don't know for sure on that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

There's very few cases where this can actually happen, but if the contact shows in your active tab with the green book icon, it counts. If they don't, it probably doesn't but I don't know for sure on that.

If a contact offers you the first mission of a story arc and you don't take it, that arc is still assigned to you, but they won't have the book icon*. The only way to tell that they're contributing to your arc limit is if you know that you're above their max level, and they're still on your Active list. To make them stop counting towards that limit, you need to go to them and finish that arc, even though it will likely be full of greys at that point.

*This was the case on Live, right up to shutdown, as far as I know. There have been fixes, both in the i24 beta that never went live, and in post-sunset patches that I was never aware of, so this might no longer be true. I have not tested it.

7 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

My hope is it’ll go away when I finally finish the “choose hero alignment and go to Paragon” mission... and if it doesn’t I’ll just live with one less story arc, but I’m curious about the actual mechanics.

This was a problem people ran into when Going Rogue first went live. Since there are many ways to lose access to a contact before finishing an arc (killing the contact or otherwise making them disappear or going to Primal Earth before finishing them being the most common), the devs added code that made it so that when you go through the portal, not only are all your missions removed (just like when you switch from Hero to Villain or vice-versa), all of your arcs are also removed.

Note that your arcs are NOT removed when you switch alignments via tips or Null. Those arcs remain open, taking up space, but also allowing you to switch back and continue from where you left off.

Edited by Roderick

Back before we had radios, Ouborous, AE, etc etc etc - wayyyy back in the single digit issues - it was absolutely possible to run out of missions, by finishing all the story arcs available from contacts.  Most people (who didn't plan their leveling carefully) did, sometime in the late 30s, and had to painfully grind the rest of the way to 40 (where the Issue 1 level 40-50 content at Portal Corp kicked in), usually by street sweeping.  Lots and lots of street sweeping.

Really, you have no idea how lucky you are, or how rough this game was in some spots.  Fortunately, it got better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megajoule said:

Back before we had radios, Ouborous, AE, etc etc etc - wayyyy back in the single digit issues - it was absolutely possible to run out of missions, by finishing all the story arcs available from contacts.  Most people (who didn't plan their leveling carefully) did, sometime in the late 30s, and had to painfully grind the rest of the way to 40 (where the Issue 1 level 40-50 content at Portal Corp kicked in), usually by street sweeping.  Lots and lots of street sweeping.

Really, you have no idea how lucky you are, or how rough this game was in some spots.  Fortunately, it got better.

This may be one reason I love street sweeping.....gives me the old time feel good vibes.  I take many of my toons to hollows/perez/steel just for street sweeping to get to 14 or so.  I enjoy taking my 50 toons to the icons and running those missions to open the costume slots.  I love CF for sweeping. 

Okay, why are the servers still down I'm ready to go hit the streets!!  hehehe